S Pen only working when id i press down very hard on the screen

steve seward

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
So i have had this note 4 for about 4 days now and have been using the S pen quite often. Today, after listening to some music, i tried to use my S pen and it didnt work unless i pressed down on the screen with a decent amount of force. The S pen did not do this before and i am kinda stumped about what to do. Tried talking to Samsung and they just recommended me to try a different S pen. Anyone else have any suggestions? should i put in a new stylus? or just give up and go to a Verizon store and have them deal with it? BTW, i have the screen sensitivity turned on and have no screen protector on it and there is no damage done to the phone nor the S pen. Any suggestion would be great appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
New phone + problem = have phone replaced. If it's within 15 days, they should give you one new out of the box (although I prefer refurbs - someone actually checked a refurb out by hand before putting it in the package.)

But, in case you were wondering what the problem is, it's either a defective pen or the pen layer of the screen is defective. (The pen isn't just a little plastic replacement for your fingewr - it communicates electronically with an extra layer in the screen.) You're pressing hard enough to make the pen activate the touch screen, as if it was your finger.

rsawitzky

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I would bring it to the store, that way you can use the s pen from the demo model to conclude if that is the root of the problem, and if not, then you will be able to take it up with the sales reps there.

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
What kind of screen protector do you have? Didn't you get a bunch of replacement tips in a bag with your Note? I would change a tip or two and see if that fixes the problem.

No screen protector...just seen that.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

Last edited:

superuser86

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
The s pen draws its power from the screen. I'd suggest replacing the s pen tip with a new one. You should have got spares and tip tweezers in the box with your phone. Possibly a connection issue with the tip and the screen.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The s pen draws its power from the screen. I'd suggest replacing the s pen tip with a new one. You should have got spares and tip tweezers in the box with your phone. Possibly a connection issue with the tip and the screen.

That's not how it draws power from the screen.... It does so through induction much like wireless charging only the pen never holds a charge in a battery per se. Still, changing the tip is a reasonable thing to try. The current tip could be damaged internally and affecting pressure sensitivity.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol