'Google Location Service is disabled' alert keeps popping up

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I just did a factory reset on my phone to fix other issues, and now I have this one. If I have GPS off and wake my phone up from lock mode, the following keeps popping up. I can't figure out how to stop it, and I know I didn't have this problem before since I never use my GPS unless I'm getting driving directions, and I never got these pop ups before.

I may have gotten it once before and figured out how to stop it, but I can't remember how if I did. HELP!

Attachments

• 1420681351482.jpg
    1420681351482.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Google Location Service is disabled" alert keeps popping up

It sounds like your entire Location Service is turned off, not just GPS. Is that typical for you? It's possible for Location Service to be turned on without the actual GPS radio being turned on--that's the Battery Saving setting, where it uses wi-fi and/or mobile signal to estimate location. I'd suggest going to Settings>Location Service, and switch it on, but just make sure the GPS radio stays off.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So when I toggle the Location button above, it turns off all my location services not just the GPS? That didn't happen before

Attachments

• 1420730568963.jpg
    1420730568963.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 64

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak directly to your past experience, since I don't have a Note 4--but I can tell you that with vanilla Android on my Nexus 5, the Location toggle in the Quick Settings turns on and off the whole Location Service, not just the GPS radio.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak directly to your past experience, since I don't have a Note 4--but I can tell you that with vanilla Android on my Nexus 5, the Location toggle in the Quick Settings turns on and off the whole Location Service, not just the GPS radio.

That can very well be true for the Note too, but I didn't get this alert before my factory reset. I'm wondering if there was something I turned off before or did that I'm not remembering.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So when I toggle the Location button above, it turns off all my location services not just the GPS? That didn't happen before
Here is the problem. You are toggling the location from the down panel like you show in the picture, wrong... just like B.Diddy stated Settings>Location and there you go to Mode>Power saving. This will turn on the location without turning on the GPS. Now you need to do it from the settings you get when you click on the WHEEL at the top right corner of your picture, otherwise every time you do it the way you did it you will turn the whole thing on.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Here is the problem. You are toggling the location from the down panel like you show in the picture, wrong... just like B.Diddy stated Settings>Location and there you go to Mode>Power saving. This will turn on the location without turning on the GPS. Now you need to do it from the settings you get when you click on the WHEEL at the top right corner of your picture, otherwise every time you do it the way you did it you will turn the whole thing on.

No I understand what you and B.Diddy are saying, but I don't think you follow what I'm saying.

Before my factory reset I toggled the location button on and off from my drop down notification panel all the time. In fact I only turned it on when I needed directions. Yet I never got these alerts, it was only after my factory reset that these started popping up.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I do understand what you are saying but I am also looking at the picture you posted and I noticed that what you have there is the normal Touch Wiz screen so I am wondering if the launcher you are using might the cause of the problem ?? Cause whenever I got a message like that at the beginning, they did not look like the one you showed. The icons on that picture are different than the ones that come with the phones at least not on my phone.

Tampa8

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
That shows when some apps such as weather are set to automatically update. If location/GPS is turned off you will get that message. I have often had location and GPS turned off with no notification as long as no app that relies on location is asking for information.

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this has to do with your problem or not...but Google kept giving me a "drive to work" time that I did Not want one day let alone everyday. I had to use a computer and go to the Google site and disable this in the Google site. Not sure if the computer was needed, but it Worked for me.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
That shows when some apps such as weather are set to automatically update. If location/GPS is turned off you will get that message. I have often had location and GPS turned off with no notification as long as no app that relies on location is asking for information.

I have to go with this. I always keep my location off, unless I am headed out of town, which is rare, and I never get that pop up. Make sure all you apps that update aren't trying to pull location info.

Spikegoat

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Ive been having this exact same issue. How can I turn off the update option on my apps? I turned off the connection optimizer and the popup hasnt shown up but I need it for wifi connectivity

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Ive been having this exact same issue. How can I turn off the update option on my apps? I turned off the connection optimizer and the popup hasnt shown up but I need it for wifi connectivity

I turned off my connection optimizer and it stopped, plus my Wi-Fi is fine. What do you need it on for?

Spikegoat

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Wifi is fine but Id like it to connect to wifi automatically without having to comnect manually. My connection optimizer is on and I now only recieve the pop up when I turn the location off unlike before when i would get it every so often so I think its back to normal.

Spikegoat

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Anyone find a solution yet? Im still getting this pop up, it keeps requesting location services, could it be an app requestion my location? If so how can I stop it from doing this

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone find a solution yet? Im still getting this pop up, it keeps requesting location services, could it be an app requestion my location? If so how can I stop it from doing this

That sounds like you have an app that needs location.

Google Now?
Geo News?
A weather app?

According to my locations services, Google Play uses location even. Is "location" on under settings? This needs to be on and the GPS can be turned off and on in the notification shade.

Attachments

• 1433143927459.jpg
    1433143927459.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

dhectorg

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the same scenario after doing a factory reset on my Note4. I intentionally keep ALL location services OFF and only enable when I need it. Unfortunately, this annoying popup keeps appearing and can't be disabled. Like the OP, I never saw this before factory resetting my Note4. I just want to totally disable location service notifications, since I know when I need it and when I don't. Is this possible?

fmotta

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
My Note II and a friends S5 Both NAG when we do not allow network locations.

1) GPS is just fine for my needs
2) There is no good reason for me to expose my network information to anyone outside myself, and my Access Point IT.

So, this NAG needs to stop popping up within seconds of my clearing it as we seldom use WiFi, my home WiFi reports me on another continent, and I DON'T NEED IT.

naga satish

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
So I just did a factory reset on my phone to fix other issues, and now I have this one. If I have GPS off and wake my phone up from lock mode, the following keeps popping up. I can't figure out how to stop it, and I know I didn't have this problem before since I never use my GPS unless I'm getting driving directions, and I never got these pop ups before.

I may have gotten it once before and figured out how to stop it, but I can't remember how if I did. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress