Note 4 repeatedly crashes and only turns on with power cable

alan_ofm

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I got my Note 4 about a month ago. It was performing perfectly, no hiccups, no problems, just perfect.

Exactly one month after receiving the phone, I noticed that it has turned itself off and I was unable to turn it back on again. I knew that phone had around 70% battery, so this was weird. Anyway, I plugged the phone into the charger and was able to immediately turn it back on. It booted up as normal and then when I removed the charger, it died again.

This has been going on for the last 4 days. Sometimes upon removing the phone from the charger, it immediately dies, sometimes I get 2 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes and sometimes I get hours and hours (enough to make you think the problem has gone). I have booted the phone in safe mode, I have done a factory reset, I have removed recently downloaded apps and I have reformatted the memory card and cleaned the battery and connectors.

The problem remains.

For example, my phone went down in work yesterday at around 3pm, and I couldn’t get it working for more than 10 minutes without crashing until about 6.30pm. I suspected the battery may be at fault, so I enabled Ultra Power Saving Mode in the hope that it may reduce the burden on the battery until I can find a replacement. Eventually I got the phone working again. By around 9pm, the phone hadn’t crashed again so I disabled Ultra Power Saver and used the regular Power Saving mode instead. The phone then worked. As normal, until around 3pm today at which point it shut down again.

Several plug-ins and restarts later and I have the phone powered back up and working off the charger. However, it has now uninstalled most of my apps. I have about 10 apps left on my phone (including contacts, phone, messages, Facebook, Whatsapp, Clock and Play Store). This seems very strange as it isn’t just my downloaded apps that are gone, Samsung apps are gone, most Google apps are gone and most of my downloaded apps are gone with the exception of FB and Whatsapp. Almost like the phone has put itself into a permanent Ultra Power Saving Mode even when it has been removed from that setting.

I have ordered a new battery that should arrive tomorrow. I had hoped this was merely a “bad” battery issue, but now with the bizarre deletion of my apps, I am beginning to wonder if there is more.

For what it’s worth, the phone has never been dropped, soaked or damaged in any way.

Has anybody out there had a similar problem? If so, did you find a fix?

alan_ofm

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Update: seems as though the apps were only disabled. I was able to re-enable them in the application manager. The phone must have been stuck in a perpetual ultra power saving mode, even with the mode turned off.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
So it is working OK now? What about the restarts, the power savings should not cause that? Did you get your new battery?
Good Luck!
Ron

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My Note 4 suddenly started crashing yesterday.

I've tried clearing the cache, booting in safe mode, but as soon as the lock screen is engaged, or I try to go into settings, it crashes, goes into a reboot loop that eventually stops with a black screen, unresponsive... If I pull the battery for a minute or so, it will reboot normally, and continue to work normally for up to a half hour, or so, or until the lock screen engages or I try to change settings, then it shuts down, reboot loop, dead.

Anyone have a clue, of is this 6 month old phone a piece of trash?

It's seems android devices only run for 6 months or so before "going south". Getting old.

Need a reliable device, Samsung hasn't been the answer.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My Note 4 suddenly started crashing yesterday.

I've tried clearing the cache, booting in safe mode, but as soon as the lock screen is engaged, or I try to go into settings, it crashes, goes into a reboot loop that eventually stops with a black screen, unresponsive... If I pull the battery for a minute or so, it will reboot normally, and continue to work normally for up to a half hour, or so, or until the lock screen engages or I try to change settings, then it shuts down, reboot loop, dead.

Anyone have a clue, of is this 6 month old phone a piece of trash?

It's seems android devices only run for 6 months or so before "going south". Getting old.

Need a reliable device, Samsung hasn't been the answer.

Either a dodgy battery or you need to have it fixed by Samsung.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney