SMS Character Limit

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I use Chompsms and love it, but recently have noticed that whenever my message is over 160 characters, it splits into separate messages. Looks fine on my end buy my girlfriend took a screenshot and it split them into separate messages labeled 1/2 and 2/2. Any setting to turn this limit off? I'm sure it's annoying to others, especially my iPhone friends.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how ChompSMS handles this or why it's different with some apps, but SMS limits are set by SMS and carrier. It's just the tech, and they're limited to that number of characters (Thus, the Short Message System name). However, I just tested using both the stock messaging app and Hangouts, and while they DO tell you your SMS text is split into two (or more), my work iPhone receives both in a single message. But I have seen messages that are split, and not only on iPhone, I get them on Android, too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There really isn't a way to turn this off. The carrier is the one splitting the messages into 160 character chunks. When iPhone people are sending text messages back and forth (to other iPhones) they don't have this issue since it is going through iMessage. Standard SMS via carriers will split every 160 characters unless you're sending a picture with it (so the message switches to MMS) or in a group message (since it also is using MMS) to send the message instead of SMS.

Tampa8

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Some message apps will combine the messages on the receiving end but you have no control of the character limit when sending.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar