Do I have to format a Samsung 64GB card that's already formatted with exFAT?

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Will be copy from my old card and pasting to the new card.

Is it necessary to reformat the new card in the phone if it's already formatted in exFAT mode?

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused!

I connected my phone in order to copy the data on my old card to my desktop so I could paste it on the new card. Only the first three folders pasted, even though I selected and copied all of the contents of the old card, as shown in this screen grab.

Why would that happen?Confusing Copy.JPG

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Well now I'm confused, too: "Old Phone Card" only shows three folders.

Oh, I see: Old Phone Card is your desktop folder? The copy operation should bring up a status window while you're copying.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Decided to unmount the old card and put it into the adapter and into my Transcend card reader. It would not read. Noted the card reader had a micro sd slot so I took it out of the adapter and put it into that slot. That worked. Old contents copied and then pasted to the new card.

Now, do I have to do anything to mount it in the phone or can I just slip it in the micro sd slot to use it? I've turned my phone off while doing this so I can't check the settings.

Thanks all for helping me so much with my questions!

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
It should get picked up when you put it in the phone and boot it, but check Settings -> General -> Storage and scroll down to the bottom to verify it got mounted. Good luck!

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Deed done - just put the new card with the pasted data into the phone, checked the settings and it is recognized.

Phew! That was really scary!

Thanks for being here.