Calling/texting from your phone using your PC!!

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
So as u all know how iphones now are interlinked with the fricking macs where u can call and imessage from your laptop WITHOUT picking up your phone!!! I envy that cuz that way i can save some battery on my phone...plus it can be convenient @ times!

So wht's the Alternate for that in Android world? i know iOS only makes devices which runs with other Apple crap, is there any thing in Android that would run with my windows PC? I know about Air droid, but didn't find it that useful to be honest...it sucks!

Here is Air droid if u all r curious: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en&token=RlNmJuBW

I guess I wouldn't expect anything to come close to Apple's "innovation" in this area, but does anything exist out there?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, yes it does. But it only works with Samsung's newest devices. Oh, wait! Like yours! :)

It's called SideSync (usually it's pre-loaded on the phone, but if it's not, it's easily found on the Play Store). Download that to your computer (or tablet if you have it) and voila! You can even have your phone's screen in your computer and handle it with your mouse/keyboard, or just share the mouse/keyboard with the phone. File transfer between devices is also possible. You can do this over USB cable or WiFi as long as both devices are in the same network.

But if that doesn't rock your boat, you can also 'migrate' your calling/texting to your Google Voice account. That way you can get your texts and calls right on your computer or even an iOS device as long as you install the app.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it is because I really have a problem with the proprietary nature of idevices and that may skew my opinion of Apple. I have never owned one and never will and kind of have the opinion of users of that technology kind of sheeple. But I think their "innovation" is many times a copy of someone else's true innovation. If you have ever cracked one of those Apple devices open, most everything in the unit is made by Samsung or Qualcom or... Not Apple.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=justPhone.remotePhone&hl=en&token=bCpL02Oe

As was said above Google

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think "Pushbullet" might work for you as well. I am not sure about the 'making phone calls' part, but I use it and when I am sitting at my desk, all my texts, emails, FB notifications pop up on the screen and I can click it and answer right there, rather than going to my phone. It really works quite well.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I like Pushbullet, it's got a lot of potential. But I keep going back to SideSync because it's, well, the entire phone on the computer screen.

And let's give Apple credit here. Closed ecosystem and whatnots, they do have a good thing going. iMessage is synced to all of your devices, including a PC, so you can text in all of them (yes, we have Hangouts, but unless you use your Google Voice number as your daily driver, you can only do Hangouts across devices, not texting). Call pickup on the computer I couldn't care less about, but it's a nice feature to have and to have it work without any additional downloads.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I like Pushbullet, it's got a lot of potential. But I keep going back to SideSync because it's, well, the entire phone on the computer screen.

And let's give Apple credit here. Closed ecosystem and whatnots, they do have a good thing going. iMessage is synced to all of your devices, including a PC, so you can text in all of them (yes, we have Hangouts, but unless you use your Google Voice number as your daily driver, you can only do Hangouts across devices, not texting). Call pickup on the computer I couldn't care less about, but it's a nice feature to have and to have it work without any additional downloads.
I just looked up SideSync and it looks pretty interesting.....I am going to try it out with my Note 4. Thanks for the suggestion......Love this forum!

rahul.sharma

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Google Voice works like a charm. Same number for life, can switch carrier, can make calls from pc, phone, tablet etc, same with text...

-Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note® 4

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I just tried out SideSync from my Note 4 to my PC and it seems to work quite well. But what's not clear to me is, is the Note 4s audio supposed to play from your PC? I played a voicemail from my Note 4, but it played over the phone's speaker and not the PCs. Is that the normal behavior? If so, that's not very useful. I expected the phone's sound to play back on the PC and my PCs microphone to be used in place of the phone's mic.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Google Voice works like a charm. Same number for life, can switch carrier, can make calls from pc, phone, tablet etc, same with text...

-Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note® 4

Problem is Google voice texting isn't like ur stock texting app...for starters, google voice texting can't send any MMS...no pics, no group msgs

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Yup, yes it does. But it only works with Samsung's newest devices. Oh, wait! Like yours! :)

It's called SideSync (usually it's pre-loaded on the phone, but if it's not, it's easily found on the Play Store). Download that to your computer (or tablet if you have it) and voila! You can even have your phone's screen in your computer and handle it with your mouse/keyboard, or just share the mouse/keyboard with the phone. File transfer between devices is also possible. You can do this over USB cable or WiFi as long as both devices are in the same network.

But if that doesn't rock your boat, you can also 'migrate' your calling/texting to your Google Voice account. That way you can get your texts and calls right on your computer or even an iOS device as long as you install the app.

Tried Sidesyn...this thing drains battery...plus it was Laggy!

thnx for ur input though!

anon1611919

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I use my sms for my phone, PC and tablet. When my phone rings, it shows on my laptop but I'm not sure if it answers on the PC or the phone. Might be worth checking out.

Posted via the Android Central App

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

damn, this looks like a great app i could use but the laptop is a toshiba. luckily been wanting to replace it for a while...now i found my excuse

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2