Right swipe on home screen opens Flipboard....

Hunter8282

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
How can I customize this. The guy at BestBuy was showing us his phone and he had all kinds of different stuff when he swiped to the right on his home screen. Right now, when I swipe to the right it opens Flipboard from what I can tell. How do I go about changing this and what kinds of things can I add there?

My wife and I each got a Note 4 about a week ago. Thanks!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There are different apps in the Play Store that can do that. Your first option could be a custom launcher, as Nova, but the gesture actions are only included in the paid version (Prime).

To open apps or menus when sliding left or right you can try SideControl.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That annoying feature, although powered by Flipboard, has had many incarnations in Samsung phones. I've hated it in all of them. This time around it's called 'Flipboard Briefing', and it only doubles as a half-baked Flipboard client that only gets in the way. Fortunately, at least on the Note 4, you CAN disable that. Just tap and hold any empty space on your homescreen and you will enter 'homescreen editing mode'. There, tap the Settings icon at the bottom. In those options you can disable the Flipboard thing, allowing you to only have homescreens in your, well, homescreen. To add more stuff, just scroll to the + icon to add another homepage, which you can fill with widgets or app shortcuts.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Upon further reading your post, now I'm guessing you don't want to get rid of Flipboard Briefing as that opens when you scroll LEFT. Are you seeing the Flipboard widget?

To remove this one, just tap and hold on the widget and when the option appears, drag it to the trash can icon. To add more stuff, tap and hold any empty area on the homescreen, and you can add more widgets (provided they fit your empty space) and app shortcuts. You can also create app shortcuts from the App drawer by tapping and holding on the app you want to add, and when the homescreens appear, just drop it where you want it. Don't worry, the app is still ALSO in the app drawer, you just create a shortcut in your homescreen.

Hunter8282

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
SpookDroid, using your first reply I was able to disable the Flipboard briefing. So know when I move my finger from left to right across the home screen it does nothing. When I move from left to right it goes to my 2nd "home screen".

So what I can do in place of flipboard briefing if I move my finger left to right across my home screen?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, TouchWiz (the homescreen software your phone uses) doesn't support 'infinite loop' for homescreen scrolling. This means that once you reach the edge, you can't go anywhere else but the opposite way. You can, however, decide which homescreen is your main one (right now, it should be the leftmost one because of how TouchWiz is configured by default), but if you enter Homescreen Editing Mode, you will see a little home icon on top of each screen. The one with the lit up icon is the one your home button will go to, so you can have several homescreens to the left or right or that. However, once again, when you reach the edge, there will be nowhere else to go.

Some of us opt to replace TouchWiz with what is called a third party launcher, which allows you to have a different look on your phone's homescreens and, sometimes, more configuration options. For example, one of the most popular ones is Nova, which has a 'flatter' look than TouchWiz, but allows you to customize the grid size, have 'infinite loop' on your homescreen scrolling, and the ability to download and apply icon packs to give your phone a different personality. The one I use is Themer, and it REALLY changes your phone. Not only icons, but gives it a whole new look. I just love it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

MalinoisK9

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, TouchWiz (the homescreen software your phone uses) doesn't support 'infinite loop' for homescreen scrolling. This means that once you reach the edge, you can't go anywhere else but the opposite way. You can, however, decide which homescreen is your main one (right now, it should be the leftmost one because of how TouchWiz is configured by default), but if you enter Homescreen Editing Mode, you will see a little home icon on top of each screen. The one with the lit up icon is the one your home button will go to, so you can have several homescreens to the left or right or that. However, once again, when you reach the edge, there will be nowhere else to go.

Some of us opt to replace TouchWiz with what is called a third party launcher, which allows you to have a different look on your phone's homescreens and, sometimes, more configuration options. For example, one of the most popular ones is Nova, which has a 'flatter' look than TouchWiz, but allows you to customize the grid size, have 'infinite loop' on your homescreen scrolling, and the ability to download and apply icon packs to give your phone a different personality. The one I use is Themer, and it REALLY changes your phone. Not only icons, but gives it a whole new look. I just love it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

You can enable infinite loop in touch wiz as long as you remove flip board. I'd have to look for the setting that enables it since I don't recall now.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You can also move your home screen to another position if you want screens to the right and left of it. I like my home page to be in the middle with equal screens on either side.

MalinoisK9

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Infinite scrolling (being able to continuously scroll home screen panels or app drawer to the left or right instead of them stopping and having to scroll back) is built into TouchWiz. Most carriers leave it enabled, but for some unknown reason Verizon is one who disables it. Root access would be needed to re-enable it (like the Note 2, see link below). But so far no root access yet for the retail version of the Verizon Note 4. :(

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...d-infinite-scroll-touch-wiz-home-screens.html

Wow! I'd be upset if that was the case with att. Coming from an iPhone first thing I did was disabled flip board so I could scroll all the way around.

Mike Rodgers

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh MAN ! SpookyDroid I don't know you but you are now my best friend !

I've been trying and trying to get rid of that damn Flipboard...which by the way on my Samsung S5 was referred to a Flipboard Briefing on the check box that you have lead me to.

I DID uncheck it. I don't have an issue with Flipboard so much ...but it being in the way as Flipboard Briefing, whenever I tried to swipe right on my home screen was a ROYAL pain in the ***.

Thank you Thank you. Worked like a charm.

For those who are looking for spooky's procedure I'll repeat here. The original message was about a Note 5 but this also worked on my Galaxy S5 with Lollipop

1. Go you your home screen
2. Tap and hold on any empty space
3. Three Icons will appear at the bottom (I had to do it a few times for some reason)
4. Look for the one called "Home Screen Settings" click it.
5. There will be a line that says "Flipboard Briefing" Uncheck it.

Flipboard should be gone and now you can swipe right on you home screen without the damn Flipboard come out covering the whole screen and preventing you from scrolling right any further, which why I hated it so.

Last edited:

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
OK, so if I want to use the briefing screen but want to replace flip board with another app, how do I do that?

I don't think you can. The Flipboard/Briefing thing comes pre-loaded and is a "special feature." It's so special that most people hate it and disable it. To my knowledge though, there's no way replace it with another app.

andicar

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
You are my most favorite person in the world right now. i've been trying to figure out how to get rid of that stupid flipboard for days. everything i came across kept saying something about "my magazine" and i don't have that. So thank you! thank you! thank you!