How can an 11 second VGA video be 4.5 MB ?!

anon9173723

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I took an 11 second video on my Note 4 and tried texting it using my default Textra app and it wouldn't send...said it exceeded my sending size setting which was set at 600 KB, I changed it to "No Limit" but it still will not send. How is it possible that 11 seconds of VGA (640x480) 4:3 consumed 4.5 MB ???

Better yet, why was I able to send ANY sized videos on my iPhones but can't send a single one on the Note 4?

Does not matter if I'm on AT&T's LTE network or WiFi.

Thank you

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Depending on the format of the file, 120 minutes of video + audio is over 4GB (it can be 7GB). So 11 seconds can easily be over 6MB.

2) iPhone doesn't use MMS, it uses iMessage, so Apple sets the length of files that can be sent - I believe the current limit is 100MB.

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I also find it ridiculous that you can't make videos of smaller size using the note 4 camera. It's really crazy. I've tried sending a video through WhatsApp but having a 1 minute video with a size of 24MB is insane and this is with VDA setting. I don't want to imagine the size if I use HD setting. I think it is a bug or a design flaw.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

lacmac

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you could try video shrink from the app store.I've not tried it yet.

I've been able to send 20 seconds of video through whatsapp without any problems.

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the point is, why should a 1 min video recorded in VGA format be as big as 24 MB?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

anon9173723

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I am very screwed. I need to send short vid clips to my colleagues in the field often now and after running into this issue yesterday I may have to bid farewell to the Note 4...... This really sucks

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I am very screwed. I need to send short vid clips to my colleagues in the field often now and after running into this issue yesterday I may have to bid farewell to the Note 4...... This really sucks

The file resize options don't work? Why not try a file sharing service like Dropbox? That gets around this issue and any issue others may have with their email or messaging apps that may limit the size of the files transferred. What else would you use if not the Note 4?

anon9173723

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Spark,

Resizing would be a HUGE pia for us. Dropbox I think would be ok, I have dropbox, can I text a dropbox link of a video? The only other option would be the iPhone....uhhhg

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Spark,

Resizing would be a HUGE pia for us. Dropbox I think would be ok, I have dropbox, can I text a dropbox link of a video? The only other option would be the iPhone....uhhhg

You don't need to text a link if you're sharing with the same people all of the time. Share them a link to a folder you're going to be placing the videos in and they can check that folder periodically, or go one step further and have them add that folder to their own dropbox account so that the folder is linked between the two accounts.

The downside to this is obviously data plan usage and bandwidth limitations.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I took an 11 second video on my Note 4 and tried texting it using my default Textra app and it wouldn't send...said it exceeded my sending size setting which was set at 600 KB, I changed it to "No Limit" but it still will not send. How is it possible that 11 seconds of VGA (640x480) 4:3 consumed 4.5 MB ???

Better yet, why was I able to send ANY sized videos on my iPhones but can't send a single one on the Note 4?

Does not matter if I'm on AT&T's LTE network or WiFi.

Thank you

So video size is determined by resolution and bit depth. 640X480X8=2,457,600 bits uncompressed per image for an 8 bit image depth. 2457600X30=73,728,000 bits per second and at 8 bits per byte is 9.2 megabytes per second uncompressed plus there is a bit of overhead for audio and such. So for your 11 second video 4.5 megabytes is a highly compressed MP4 file, uncompressd that same video would be well over 100 megabytes. So I took a short video with my Note 4 in 640X480 for 10 seconds and ended up with a 4 megabyte file. I then captured a single frame using VLC, one image was 450K bytes not compredssed. Imported into photoshop and saved one image at 0 image quality and 12 JPG quality settings. One file is about 240K bytes and the highly compressed one is about 45K bytes. At 640X480 you can't get to 600 KB with any kind of image quality. 4 meg is very reasonable.

vlcsnap-2015-02-07-14h33m01s137.jpgvlcsnap-2015-02-07-14h33m01s137.png

anon9173723

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Chuck,
Thanks very much for such depth and explanation. At the end of the day it appears Apple addressed the sending of videos through iMessage aka MMS through their own wizardry involving zero input from the user. I'm going to try Dropbox for the next few weeks and fingers crossed it does the job. I really don't want to go back to the iPhone

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't iMessage use your data plan like WhatsApp and other similar apps when you're sending to another iPhone? Who are you sending the video too? Wouldn't getting that person to install WhatsApp or similar apps solve that problem?

On my Note 4 there is a "Limit for MMS" option in the settings of the video camera app but I'm not sure what it does.

I also believe MMS limit is carrier dependant.

Last edited:

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yup, Video is big especially HD. If you think about the size of a single photo and then realize there are 30 of them in a second, it is amazing what the Note 4 can do with MPEG compression. I use my email to send the videos I shoot, full HD is about 10 seconds for 20 megabytes, the limit of my email.

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it would be appropriate for what you are doing, but Facebook messenger will let you send a 15 second video to any facebook recipient you choose. After it will stay in your messages until deleted and you can upload it to save in your phone when done. Not a perfect solution but could work.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
When you know you have to send a video through text, use the record video inside of the text message as opposed to going through the camera app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908