How do I stop AT&T spam messages?m

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
AT&T Spam Message Problem

So I started getting some random messages from a number and the message would be “AT&T FREE MESSAGE – This is an automated message, please ignore.” It would end with random numbers and letters.

I contacted AT&T and they finally figured out what to do and email me some instructions.

Can someone look at them and see if you can figure out what they are even talking about?

I have no idea what AT&T Messages is... or I could probably fix the issue.

Thanks!

Thanks for providing me the opportunity to assist you with your concerns. As I mentioned, I've received some feedback regarding the messages you're receiving daily. Below is what was found. Please perform the recommended steps based on your preference.

WHAT WAS FOUND :
Customers may receive a message: "AT&T free message - this is an automated message, please ignore" multiple times. This issue is caused by a bug in the last software update for AT&T Messages. AT&T Messages does not have to be running in order for these messages to occur; it just has to be fully installed on the device. In addition the customer will be running some kind of third party messaging app (GoSMS Pro, Handcent, or some other client).
If you want to use AT&T Messages:

1. Uninstall 3rd party messaging application.
2. Install/update the most current version of AT&T Messages (version 2.13.6.7) from Google Play.
3. Run AT&T Messages, and perform setup as necessary.

If the you do not want to use AT&T Messages but may want to use it in the future:

1. Install/update the most current version of AT&T Messages (version 2.13.6.7) from Google Play.
2. Do not run AT&T Messages.

If the you do not want to ever use AT&T Messages:
Follow the removal steps on the link below:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Farticle.jsp%3Fsid%3DKB423375&token=12sbe_xM
From the handset, go to Settings.
Select:
Application Manager (may also be listed as App Manager or Apps)
AT&T Messages
Uninstall Updates
A message displays letting the customer know that the application will be replaced by the factory version. Tap OK.
The app shows as Uninstalled. While still within the Application Manager, swipe over to All.
Tap AT&T Messages.
Tap Disable.
Should you decide to never want to use the AT&T Messages app ever, please let me know because I would also have to remove some features on the account. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Spam Message Problem

AT&T Messages should be an app on your phone. Check under settings > application manager. You can probably find it in that list to uninstall it.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I also have an AT&T Note 4, and I don't see "AT&T Messages" in my [ALL] or [TURNED OFF] view either.

I'd check the SECOND portion of that article, though, where it says how to shut off those messages from reaching your phone by logging into your account online. This is cut-and-pasted and not very cleanly, I'm afraid, but it's the "Stop Using AT&T Messages" section.

Stop using AT&T Messages and remove network storage of messages

When you use AT&T Messages, your messages are stored in the network. If you remove the network storage feature, your text messages, call logs and voicemail will no longer be accessible from your tablet or on the Web.
To stop using AT&T Messages and remove your network storage, including deleting all text and picture messages, call logs, and voicemails stored online, you must remove the Messages Backup & Sync feature from your account. You can remove this feature online or using your wireless device.
Remove Messages Backup & Sync online
To remove the Messages Backup & Sync feature from your account:
Select myAT&T at the top of the page. If prompted, log in. Don't have a myAT&T login? Register today!
Hover over Wireless at the top of the page, and then select View My Plans & Features.
Your current wireless plan, devices, and additional features will be displayed. To manage your additional features, select the Manage link for the device you want to manage.
Current features for the selected device will be listed under Manage My Current Features. Select Messages Backup & Sync and select the option Remove This Feature.
Click the Select & Review button. A pop-up window displays notifying your messages stored on the AT&T cloud will be deleted. Select Continue and then review your changes. To change the effective date for your feature change, select the Edit link. Then, select a date from the available options, and then click the Select button.
Select Remove.
When the changes are complete, you'll receive a confirmation message. Repeat steps to add or remove AT&T Messages Backup & Sync for another device.
Use your wireless device to remove Messages Backup & Sync
Log in to your account using the myAT&T app1 or from our mobile site (m.att.com/myatt). Find out how to get the myAT&T app.
If you have an AT&T Access ID with multiple linked accounts, select your Wireless account.
Select the menu Image of menu button button, and then tap My service & plans.
Your current wireless plan, devices, and additional features will be displayed. Under Manage my devices & features, select the device you want to manage.
Current features for the selected device will be listed under Manage my current features. Tap Messages Backup & Sync and select the option Remove this feature.
Tap the Select & Review button. A notification displays notifying your messages stored on the AT&T cloud will be deleted. Select OK and then review your changes. To change the effective date for your feature change, tap the change link. Then, select a date from the available options, and then tap Select.
Tap Remove this feature.
When the changes are complete, you'll receive a confirmation message. Repeat steps to add or remove additional features for another device.

MaxEvans

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: How do I stop AT&T spam messages?m

I couldn't find the "AT&T Messages" app either.. but while researching, and even going into the AT&T store, it's not called "AT&T Messages".. it's called "AT&T Secure Messaging"... BUT... uninstalling it does NOT stop the messages. As long as you use the stock messaging app, you never get them. It's when you use third party messaging apps such as Textra, which is what I use. But I refuse to use the stock app. I prefer Textra, because I can set a different text tone for each person, unlike with the stock app (this was a feature the iPhone has that I like, but iPhone doesn't have third party anything because of their propitiatory crap, I believe now they only have third party keyboards, which is basically completely ripping off Android). But, I'm at a complete loss of how to stop it while using Textra. I've even gone as far as to block the short code number, and even then, I still get them.

According to AT&T it's a bug within the AT&T Secure Messaging app, and they claim that updating it should fix the problem. Well, it didn't. And even the rep at the store said that if the app isn't installed on the phone, it shouldn't cause the problem. And they uninstalled it at the store. So, I'm wondering if maybe it's something else. I just don't know what it could be, other than the fact I'm not using the stock app.

If anyone has any other info that could help, please share. I'm sharing what I just found out today so you guys know. Maybe if we collaborate on this, we can find a fix, or at least a workaround for it.

MaxEvans

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site

I also have an AT&T Note 4, and I don't see "AT&T Messages" in my [ALL] or [TURNED OFF] view either.

I'd check the SECOND portion of that article, though, where it says how to shut off those messages from reaching your phone by logging into your account online. This is cut-and-pasted and not very cleanly, I'm afraid, but it's the "Stop Using AT&T Messages" section.

Stop using AT&T Messages and remove network storage of messages

When you use AT&T Messages, your messages are stored in the network. If you remove the network storage feature, your text messages, call logs and voicemail will no longer be accessible from your tablet or on the Web.
To stop using AT&T Messages and remove your network storage, including deleting all text and picture messages, call logs, and voicemails stored online, you must remove the Messages Backup & Sync feature from your account. You can remove this feature online or using your wireless device.
Remove Messages Backup & Sync online
Select myAT&T at the top of the page. If prompted, log in. Don't have a myAT&T login? Register today!
Hover over Wireless at the top of the page, and then select View My Plans & Features.
Your current wireless plan, devices, and additional features will be displayed. To manage your additional features, select the Manage link for the device you want to manage.
Current features for the selected device will be listed under Manage My Current Features. Select Messages Backup & Sync and select the option Remove This Feature.
Click the Select & Review button. A pop-up window displays notifying your messages stored on the AT&T cloud will be deleted. Select Continue and then review your changes. To change the effective date for your feature change, select the Edit link. Then, select a date from the available options, and then click the Select button.
Select Remove.
When the changes are complete, you'll receive a confirmation message. Repeat steps to add or remove AT&T Messages Backup & Sync for another device.
Use your wireless device to remove Messages Backup & Sync
Log in to your account using the myAT&T app1 or from our mobile site (m.att.com/myatt). Find out how to get the myAT&T app.
If you have an AT&T Access ID with multiple linked accounts, select your Wireless account.
Select the menu Image of menu button button, and then tap My service & plans.
Your current wireless plan, devices, and additional features will be displayed. Under Manage my devices & features, select the device you want to manage.
Current features for the selected device will be listed under Manage my current features. Tap Messages Backup & Sync and select the option Remove this feature.
Tap the Select & Review button. A notification displays notifying your messages stored on the AT&T cloud will be deleted. Select OK and then review your changes. To change the effective date for your feature change, tap the change link. Then, select a date from the available options, and then tap Select.
Tap Remove this feature.
When the changes are complete, you'll receive a confirmation message. Repeat steps to add or remove additional features for another device.

I will actually try this and let you guys know if it works. I tend to get them about every hour, not like every hour exactly, but give or take a few minutes, it's usually every hour. And it's really annoying. I just love how it says "Please ignore" when it keeps sending it to you over and over. That's like trying to ignore a kid who continues to be stupid around you. It's impossible to ignore it.

imboto

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: How do I stop AT&T spam messages?m

For anyone having this issue and is looking at the top links on Google, I have found your answer!

This issue is caused by an update that goes out either through AT&T or the device manufacturer, though I'm fairly certain it's AT&T, and will be resolved through an additional update. Essentially, it's a bug that involves using third-party messaging services at the time of the update (I think).

However, if you don't want to wait for the update to come out, use these steps:

Go to Settings > Device > Application Manager > More > Show System Apps > Messages Backup & Sync
Tap on "Storage" and select "Clear Data" and "Clear Cache".
Go back to the main page of Messages Backup & Sync.
Tap on "Force Stop".
Tap on "Disable".
Restart your phone.

After talking to about 5 AT&T reps, the social media manager from twitter was the only one that could give a useful answer. You may receive one or two more messages from 74611888 after following these steps, but they will stop for good.

I can vouch for this working for me, so hopefully it will help someone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol