Note 4 Settings->System->System Update missing?

Jason William

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Ummm... it hasn't been directly under Settings for a while... It's Settings, General, About Device, Software Update.
Thanks for the reply.

However I have no option to update within "About Device". I have:
Software Version
Hardware Version
Status
Legal Information
Report diagnostic info
Device name
Model number
Android version
Baseband version
Kernel version
Build number
SE for Android status
Security software version
KNOX version

That's it. Any other suggestions?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Which carrier are you on? I'm on T-Mobile and I checked an International version (still on KitKat) and it's there. Same thing with a Note 10.1 and a Tab S 10.5.

Have you tried going into Status or Software Version?

This is what I have on my Note 4, and looks similar on the Tab S.
Screenshot_2015-02-18-14-49-03.jpg

Jason William

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Which carrier are you on? I'm on T-Mobile and I checked an International version (still on KitKat) and it's there. Same thing with a Note 10.1 and a Tab S 10.5.

Have you tried going into Status or Software Version?
I'm on Sprint. In fact that's what brought this up. I'm getting the WiFi calling activation error on every restart, and they were going to have me go into settings to update a few things. We couldn't find it. The tech lady was blown away saying I'm the first she's run into that didn't have it, and that shes worked with "dozens of Note 4s" that did.

Within Status all options are grayed out, and Software Version is also grayed out.

Bizarre, eh?

Jason William

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Very! Was this an unit purchased directly from Sprint? Or was it bought somewhere else?

I'd try first booting up into Safe Mode and see if the option is there then.
Yep brand new bought from direct from Sprint.

I booted into safe mode (thanks for the link) and no change; all options are still grayed out and there's no Software Update button :(

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of where it was bought, Sprint (a company store, not a privately owned "Sprint" store) will probably either reflash the ROM or replace the phone. (I know that AT&T does it - I've had it done, and I didn't buy my phones from them), so if the store won't, call the retention department. To keep you as a customer, they'll probably replace the phone. (After, when they can't help you, you mumble something about this being the last time you get a contract with Sprint no matter how cheap it is.)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I'd go with Rukbat's suggestion. Get it replaced. But first make sure that they do have a Note 4 unit that has it (I doubt they wont, but what if this is just not there on any of their phones?).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, the only other thing left to do is do a Factory Reset first...which you might as well try if you're turning in your device anyway... Maybe that'll fix the broken ROM

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Then it's definitely something wrong with the ROM that's loaded in your phone. They might just re-flash their stock image if they have the right equipment and not have to ship out your phone, but maybe you'll get a new one right away. It's up to how Sprint handles these warranty services.

Jason William

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
try hooking it up to a pc and connecting to Kies, if that doesn't work turn on developer options first and reconnect. just an idea...
Thanks for that. Got it installed plugged in and immediately it wants to update my phone. Here's a copy paste from the update screen:

Current version: PDA:NIE / CSC:NIE / PHONE:NIE (SPR)
Latest version: PDA:NK2 / CSC:NK2 / PHONE:NK2 (SPR)

Updating now (gonna take a long time; slow intertubes here and its a 1.6GB download )

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Kies would update it if it was available, and I hope that update 'patches' your phone, but if it still doesn't show the update option in your phone after that, I'd still get it replaced. That might be the only 'obvious' thing missing, but what if there's something else that you're not seeing?

Jason William

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Kies would update it if it was available, and I hope that update 'patches' your phone, but if it still doesn't show the update option in your phone after that, I'd still get it replaced. That might be the only 'obvious' thing missing, but what if there's something else that you're not seeing?
The only other thing I've noticed is that WiFI calling activation error; that's what brought this up in the first place. Every time I restart the phone it throws a WiFi calling activation error. Its easily fixed by tapping and letting it reactive itself, but still annoying. Sprint has already removed and readded the service, but still the problem persists.

Question: will this update to NK2 factory reset the phone? Or will all my settings and stuff stay put?

Jason William

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
So the update failed. It got stuck downloading to the phone.

I'm trying it again (downloading now) and would like to try again if it fails again without having to download the 1.6GB file. I've found the file and will copy the folder once done (as per these instructions: http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-backup-firmware-from-kies-upgrade-process.458795/) But I'm not sure what "multiloader" is. Anyone mind pointing me in the right direction?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12