I'm trying to enjoy a new launcher..

bigs0306

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I see that a lot of people have a launcher attached to their note 4's (Nova Launcher, etc.). I cannot understand why, maybe some insight can help me out.

I downloaded Novalauncher (not prime), chompSMS to accent my newest launcher, and teslaUnread plugin.

MMS messages do not read correctly (show as video when indeed its a photo), notifications only show in notification bar and no icons show next to app...

Am I missing something? TouchWiz seems to be a winner so far in my book. Maybe I'm crazy, but as a newbie to android I don't see the awesome in a 3rd party launcher.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded Novalauncher (not prime), chompSMS to accent my newest launcher, and teslaUnread plugin.

MMS messages do not read correctly (show as video when indeed its a photo)
That's ChompSMS. You can use any SMS app (including the original one).

notifications only show in notification bar and no icons show next to app...
Only the paid version of Nova uses TeslaUnread.

It's not the awesomeness of Nova, it's the total opposite of awesomeness of TouchWiz. Nova gives you multiple docks, choosable number of apps per dock, chooseable number of apps displayed horizontally and vertically on both the desktop and the app drawer, folders, tabs - things TouchWiz doesn't. (You can also save all your settings, including .which app sits where on the desktop.) By comparison TouchWiz is "we need a launcher, but let's not waste too much time writing one".

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I use Nova on my M8 because I hate the way HTC changed the app drawer. I'm happy with TouchWiz on the Note 4. Some people hate it just to hate it, and some people like to really personalize their phone.

I don't like how Samsung does Messages though. I use Textra. It's so much faster.

Posted via the Android Central App

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I use nova and much prefer it over stock launcher. I have a stock theme with my grid set up at 5x5 and google now with a swipe up gesture and notification badges.

ff7937139fb1b2ca64d58398af7f0b99.jpg

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The main thing I use/like with Nova launcher is setting my screen grid to 8x8 so I can shrink down the size of the icons and widgets to see more of my screen background. I can also see more of the detail in my widgets by reducing them to be bigger than 4x4.

I disable padding in the widgets to give them a bit more room to expand. I also set the screen margins to zero.

I also didn't like the Floorboard screen/magazine in TouchWiz.

It's the little things like this that make me prefer Nova (Prime) over TouchWiz.

Attachments

• 1424401405142.jpg
    1424401405142.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 156

C.K400

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I use the Next 3D launcher and let me tell you it is the most amazing launcher I have ever used! Its smooth and buttery with no lag or hiccups. Plus its beautiful. I will never be able to go back to touchwiz after using this. I have tried a few and some are ok but none work like this.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The other feature I use all the time us gestures (Nova Prime only, I think).

(forgot the screenshot on previous post)

Attachments

• 1424402093377.jpg
    1424402093377.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 137

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
And another small feature I like is how Nova brings some of the Android 5.0 features to your 4.4.4 phone such as the "Slide Up" app animation and the Android 5.0 icon pack.

Small things like that but Nova seems to be forward looking in small ways like that.

Attachments

• 1424402405024.jpg
    1424402405024.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 133

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Anyone use Aviate?

Yes. Aviate chewed battery for two days. I then shutdown and removed the battery. Since then battery life is back to normal and Aviate is working fine but I believe it is to well organised for users who want to use 7+ homescreens. :D I enjoy the organisation it brings.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I love how with Nova one can set margins of widgets to zero (disable padding) and essentially place them next to each other with no gaps between them. One can also place things at half steps between grid positions to get more flexibility in placement. Setting gestures on any icon is also huge, whereby every icon on a home screen can literally launch two things depending on whether you tap it or swipe up on it.

I use the per icon gesture function a lot. Some examples include a tap on my file explorer, Google Drive or Dropbox icons opens those apps but swiping their icons opens a particular favorite folder of choice within them. Tapping camera icon opens camera, swiping opens gallery... Tapping my music app icon opens the app, swiping it opens a particular playlist... The possibilities are endless.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Brian McMahon

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The main thing I use/like with Nova launcher is setting my screen grid to 8x8 so I can shrink down the size of the icons and widgets to see more of my screen background. I can also see more of the detail in my widgets by reducing them to be bigger than 4x4.

I disable padding in the widgets to give them a bit more room to expand. I also set the screen margins to zero.

I also didn't like the Floorboard screen/magazine in TouchWiz.

It's the little things like this that make me prefer Nova (Prime) over TouchWiz.

That Wallpaper is sweet, where did you find it

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I got my Note 4 a week or so ago, coming from a Moto X 2014. I used the launcher in TouchWiz for a couple of days, and liked it, but as with all of my devices I went back to Nova Prime.

It offers tons of customizations that I have come to appreciate too deeply, and I love the fact that once my apps are all installed, I have a configuration Google Drive that I can just pull with a couple of clicks and my new phone looks and acts just like my old one. All my icons are where I expect them, I have the correct number of home screens for my taste (exactly ONE), and the whole thing behaves like I expect it to without all that fiddly deleting home screens and dragging icons about.

I ended up buying Nova Prime when it was on a ten cent sale a couple of years ago, and I'd happily cough up full price for it today if I had to. It's quick, efficient, and loaded with tons of features that can be turned on and more importantly turned OFF.

The TouchWiz launcher was very nice. But it lacked customization features I've come to love, so Nova it is. :)

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've tried using other launchers on my Note 4. I have a hard time staying away from the default touchwiz launcher, though.

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I've always been satisfied with TouchWiz. Then I got a new tablet. I bought a Nexus 9 with Lollipop. The look and layout of Lollipop is different than TouchWiz so I downloaded and launched Google Now launcher because it looks similar to my Nexus 9. I just like the look of consistency across my devices.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech