truly BLACK wallpaper - How?

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't like cute wallpapers or special effects running behind my icons... I usually just take a photo of something dark with a minimal pattern.

Given that black results in very low (or no) energy output on these types of screens, is there a way to create a true black wallpaper?

jwt873

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If you've got a drawing program, (Like Windows Paint, Photoshop etc. etc).. Use it to create a rectangle that's 1440 x 2600 pixels. Fill it with black and save it. Now you have a solid black image to use as wallpaper.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at the wallpaper in the glasklart icon pack. Its not completely black, but it is almost there, and it adds a little bit of interest to the screen.

screenshot2012091116243 (1).jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There are some apps in the Play Store that allow you to set a solid color as background, such as

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.citc.colors&hl=en&token=RiBhAMw1

The thing is, to really save battery with an amoled screen you need a "true black" background (#000000), anything else will keep the pixel on. Take a look here.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/283...interface-really-save-on-amoled-displays.html

Besides your homescreen wallpaper the best thing would be to set dark themes in your reading/feeds apps. Those are the places where you are going to feel a real difference in your battery life.

Last edited:

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, to really save battery with an amoled screen you need a "true black" background (#000000), anything else will keep the pixel on.

This is technically true, but perhaps somewhat misleading. You don't need a conpletely true black background to save battery life on an amoled display. You need true black pixels. A background that is half true black will still give savings over one that has no black.

Besides your homescreen wallpaper the best thing would be to set dark themes in your reading/feeds apps. Those are the places where you are going to feel a real difference in your battery life.

This is technically true and not misleading at all. :) The first thing I do when I get a new app I am going to use a lot is to make it as dark as possible. Except for Moon-Reader. I just don't like reading books with a dark background.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
This is technically true, but perhaps somewhat misleading. You don't need a conpletely true black background to save battery life on an amoled display. You need true black pixels. A background that is half true black will still give savings over one that has no black.

I completely agree with that. The number of true black pixels will make a difference, of course. And a complete true black background is the best you can get. I thought that was implicit in my post, but I see what you mean. Thanks for the clarification.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
On what of the hints videos I saw on YouTube, the guy took any picture from the net that had some black in it. He set it as wallpaper and then the phone gives you the option to crop to the section that you want to have as your wallpaper. He just centered in on the black section and that area became his wallpaper.

Black looks amazing on these phones.