freedoms of android vs connectivity of iOS

unlucky2005

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the iPhone 5 for 2 years. Did what I needed/wanted for most part. Got the S5 then got a note 4. I like having android and it's ease of adding music (have prolly 30k songs) and when moving pictures to albums they don't stay in the "camera roll" like iOS. But I kinda miss a few things of iOS. Such as aftermarket support. There's no android docks. Installed a new radio in my truck that has all bells and whistles. But couldn't search thru album or artists list from the HU itself. But could in iPhone. 8 months to get update for an update for android stability, while its 2 weeks after iPhone release to get update for iOS. Anyone else feel the same? Or have similar complaints?

Posted via the Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC :)
That's just the nature of each OS. Android being more open allows for more functionality, but as far as hardware there are so many options that it's a lot harder to make accessories for. I don't use many peripherals, so I'll take the functionality over those any day.

unlucky2005

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I understand there's pros and cons to everything in life. I spend alot of time driving so connectivity is sought after for me. I just feel that android doesn't get outside support it should like iOS does.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Bluetooth is a pipe - you can send anything through it. If the phone sends something the car audio doesn't use, they can't talk to each other. (It's like a phone - how come you can't understand the guy on the other end - if he's speaking Urdu? Some car audio systems don't talk to some phones for all functions.)

2) Apple doesn't announce a new version until it's already written, beta tested, soak tested and ready for release. So it's easy for them to release it two weeks later. Or two minutes later, if they didn't want you to figure out what they're doing. Google announces a new version when they're ready to start testing it. Once it's fully tested for the current nexus, and it's ready for release, each manufacturer has to modify it for each model phone it's going to be put on and fully test that rewrite. then each carrier has to get their hands on it and make their modifications (Apple doesn't allow this - "you don't want the one we release, don't sell iPhones") and that takes more time. If Google insisted that no one announced a new release until it was ready to ship, Android would come out just as soon after the release announcement as iOS does.

After having been "worked over" (this is a family forum, but picture a nail with a spiral thread and a slotted head - that's what they did) by Apple twice as a developer (and I don't mean iPhone apps), I wouldn't take one of their products for free except to sell it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
1) Bluetooth is a pipe - you can send anything through it. If the phone sends something the car audio doesn't use, they can't talk to each other. (It's like a phone - how come you can't understand the guy on the other end - if he's speaking Urdu? Some car audio systems don't talk to some phones for all functions.)

2) Apple doesn't announce a new version until it's already written, beta tested, soak tested and ready for release. So it's easy for them to release it two weeks later. Or two minutes later, if they didn't want you to figure out what they're doing. Google announces a new version when they're ready to start testing it. Once it's fully tested for the current nexus, and it's ready for release, each manufacturer has to modify it for each model phone it's going to be put on and fully test that rewrite. then each carrier has to get their hands on it and make their modifications (Apple doesn't allow this - "you don't want the one we release, don't sell iPhones") and that takes more time. If Google insisted that no one announced a new release until it was ready to ship, Android would come out just as soon after the release announcement as iOS does.

After having been "worked over" (this is a family forum, but picture a nail with a spiral thread and a slotted head - that's what they did) by Apple twice as a developer (and I don't mean iPhone apps), I wouldn't take one of their products for free except to sell it.

Apple does beta testing after announcement. For both iOS and OS X.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimLP 5.0.2

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
iOS is a "it just works" type of ecosystem...as long as you're okay with the "it" that is working being defined by someone other than you, and you get to like it or lump it. That is the flip side of the iOS platform.

Android's ecosystem allows for a lot more individual customization and tweaking, as well as a broad array of compatible devices, so you can pick the devices that best suit your needs and wants. The flip side of the platform and the universe of gadgets is that they won't update as quickly, and it can be difficult to integrate different devices from time to time due to firmware incompatibilities.

You might want to check with the manufacturer of your head unit. There's a good chance that a firmware update is available, it might correct the issue you're having with your music files.

unlucky2005

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I get the that android is more open based than iOS. Just hoping they make an ecosystem like iOS has in aftermarket support. As in radio docks, radio support, connectivity

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I get the that android is more open based than iOS. Just hoping they make an ecosystem like iOS has in aftermarket support. As in radio docks, radio support, connectivity

Like I said above, it's just inherent to the ecosystem. Apple only has two phones every year, while there are dozens of Android phones released. There just can't be as many options if the manufacturers aren't willing to make them all. It's pretty much just the flagships that get a decent selection while the rest get a few cases, but not much else.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimLP 5.0.2