I seem to have a CONSTANT location notification since Lollipop update...

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
It's seems to constantly be "Searching for GPS" since the update last night and I always have a notification going for it. It's taking up a notification spot in the drop down. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas how to address this...other than turning off location?

Thanks

Attachments

• GPS Notification.jpg
    GPS Notification.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 161

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine isn't constant, but does pop up from time to time. Seems like a silly notification.

Posted via the Android Central App

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Not too sure, but it seems as though you may have a background process running that is checking your location all the time, whether it be facebook, google+, maps, weather, whatever... something on there is searching for your location.

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
It's seems to constantly be "Searching for GPS" since the update last night and I always have a notification going for it. It's taking up a notification spot in the drop down. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas how to address this...other than turning off location?

Thanks

After about three months of use with the location "on", I didn't notice a "searching for GPS" at all (running 4.4.4). Now, for some reason, my phone will constantly show that and drain the battery rather quickly. I have to keep the location off and turn it on when needed. Kind of a PITA and I haven't got a clue why it does it.

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
After about three months of use with the location "on", I didn't notice a "searching for GPS" at all (running 4.4.4). Now, for some reason, my phone will constantly show that and drain the battery rather quickly. I have to keep the location off and turn it on when needed. Kind of a PITA and I haven't got a clue why it does it.

Yes.... This

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes.... This

I'm still researching this on my own. So far, I have went through every single app that I installed or that was preinstalled and if it has a location setting, I have it turned to off.

When it is searching for location, I have noticed that Android System and Android OS are using the most battery percentage.

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm still researching this on my own. So far, I have went through every single app that I installed or that was preinstalled and if it has a location setting, I have it turned to off.

When it is searching for location, I have noticed that Android System and Android OS are using the most battery percentage.

I'm thinking a factory reset and reinstalling Lollipop might work.... I really don't want to resort to that though. I would like to figure this one out

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I think it may be an overzealous app. I installed Amber Weather right before I upgraded to lollipop, and their beautiful widgets have a problem with location tracking, so I think that's why I'm seeing this more. I've disabled the widgets, which is a shame because they're pretty and expensive, but the location requests have pretty much disappeared so far.

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
It's the same as iGalione, I think that you may have some background process running that is checking GPS all the time.

Yeah, in my situation it has to be a background process. I'm 99% sure it is not a downloaded app. My Android System and Android OS shouldn't be eating battery like they are.

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I figured this out in case anyone else might experience this. I have the Gear 2 and it was a clock face app (Watcher) that was using GPS way too much. I went into "Location" and looked at the list of apps that requested location. I "force stopped" each one and identified which app it was that was causing the constant location notification.

I emailed the developer and he said he was aware of it and already submitted an update that he is waiting for

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Long press the location widget in the drop down shade. When the settings open for Location choose power saving instead of GPS Only. That should sort it out, or you can turn it off completely. I leave it on power saving because I like to have the location update on my my weather widget on my home screen.

shanealbrandt

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't figured this out - since I do NOT own the Gear 2 - I don't think that is my issue. Ever since I did the Lollipop upgrade, the Location CONSTANTLY updates, which literally drains my battery in about 2-3 hours....I'm going insane people. Please help me! If I turn it off - almost every single app I open, asks me to turn it back on to function properly. It's truly a PITA.

This definitely had something to do with the latest Android/Lollipop update - it never did it until then, and it started doing it the moment after.

I do have a weather widget on my Home screen - and it appears that is the culprit (I say appears, because I'm not entirely sure). That is probably the single-most thing I look at on my home screen, so disabling it really, really sucks for me. :(

Thoughts? I could use some help - I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance!

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I still haven't figured this out - since I do NOT own the Gear 2 - I don't think that is my issue. Ever since I did the Lollipop upgrade, the Location CONSTANTLY updates, which literally drains my battery in about 2-3 hours....I'm going insane people. Please help me! If I turn it off - almost every single app I open, asks me to turn it back on to function properly. It's truly a PITA.

This definitely had something to do with the latest Android/Lollipop update - it never did it until then, and it started doing it the moment after.

I do have a weather widget on my Home screen - and it appears that is the culprit (I say appears, because I'm not entirely sure). That is probably the single-most thing I look at on my home screen, so disabling it really, really sucks for me. :(

Thoughts? I could use some help - I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance!

Mine was constantly searching for location. All I did was go into my location setting, click mode, and change it to power save.. Haven't have the problem since and it's been almost a week.

Shoukat Ali Bajwa

May 28, 2015
Visit site
if you want to get ride of Location notification in your cell phone then follow the following steps
go to setting ---location--- Google location history and turn it to OFF.

Hope so problem would resolve .
Thanks
Shoukat