sprint note 4 - data over voice?

luzgemacht

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm strongly considering taking the note 4, I'm going nuts over the super amoled whatever screen and the super responsiveness, here is the question:
After i bought the galaxy s5 i realized that for some stupid reason sprint stopped the option of using data while on the phone, i immediately returned that galaxy s5, what's about the note 4? Is that issue solved?

Posted via the Android Central App

c1971ace

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
With the Note 4 you can use data while on the phone only on Wifi or LTE. If you are on 3G it will not work.

Posted via the Android Central App

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The only workaround I'm aware of is to use Google dialer. But yeah, not having regular voice over data stinks and almost made me bypass the note 4 on Sprint

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If your phone only has a 3G signal on a CDMA carrier, no simultaneous voice or data. This is true of Sprint and Verizon, among others.

However, LTE and CDMA radios are independent. LTE is, for most phones, data-only. Think of it as a WiFi connection that covers a much wider area. So if you have an LTE or WiFi connection in addition to a 3G connection, you can do voice over 3G and data over the other connection.

If your phone happens to use Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE), that just means your voice and data are BOTH carried over LTE. LTE can handle simultaneous voice and data with no problems. So VoLTE does nothing to functionality, but does improve battery life since your phone doesn't have to try to maintain a 3G AND an LTE connection simultaneously. LTE can also carry a lot more data, meaning your phone calls should be somewhat clearer and more tolerant of a weak signal.

NYVET

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
If your phone only has a 3G signal on a CDMA carrier, no simultaneous voice or data. This is true of Sprint and Verizon, among others.

However, LTE and CDMA radios are independent. LTE is, for most phones, data-only. Think of it as a WiFi connection that covers a much wider area. So if you have an LTE or WiFi connection in addition to a 3G connection, you can do voice over 3G and data over the other connection.

If your phone happens to use Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE), that just means your voice and data are BOTH carried over LTE. LTE can handle simultaneous voice and data with no problems. So VoLTE does nothing to functionality, but does improve battery life since your phone doesn't have to try to maintain a 3G AND an LTE connection simultaneously. LTE can also carry a lot more data, meaning your phone calls should be somewhat clearer and more tolerant of a weak signal.

Funny, I have Verizon and I can still use data while on a call even when on 3G.

Posted via the awesomest phone EVER...the Note 4.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I have Verizon and I can still use data while on a call even when on 3G.

Posted via the awesomest phone EVER...the Note 4.

Huh, they must have meant the term "VoLTE" to also include VoCDMA when they introduced "Advanced Calling 1.0", so they can route any voice call over their data network regardless of the protocol used.

Prior to that, phone calls, texts, etc needed exclusive access to the CDMA network and to get data at the same time you needed a second radio on-board. My Thunderbolt was, IIRC, the first phone that had this. Glad to see they went to voice-over-data finally.

So, in that case, once Sprint enables a voice-over-data protocol, which the Note 4 clearly supports since it's working for you, all should be well in Sprintland.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge