2 questions, GPS and Where to purchase.

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 questions about the Note 4. I got a small chance to play with it at Target, and that camera is sweet.

I'm looking to upgrade, my Iphone 5 (AT&T) to a Note 4 (AT&T). S6 does not have what I want. (SD support)

1. Been reading a lot of GPS issues with the Note 4. Is it really that bad? I plan on using the GPS every so often. Not a heavy user, but will use. If its that bad, I might have to move to another phone that supports SD.

2. I was thinking of purchasing the phone from Target. But if there are issues, do I just bring it back to target? Has anyone got a phone from there? Or should I go with just the AT&T store? or some other store.

Thank you.

Pce:-\

imex99

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I use the GPS about once a week and I have no issues on Sprint...

I'm not sure about Target or at&t return policies, so that's something you would have to ask them.

I do love my gn4 coming from the nexus 5.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm a heavy Ingress player, which means my GPS is on pretty much 100% of the time. My AT&T Note 4 runs into cycles about 3-4 times a day where the GPS just stops tracking for 10-15 seconds, loses lock entirely for another 10 seconds or so, then snaps back into place like nothing happened at all and tracks normally. I've heard that I need to check some screws in the back to make sure they are snug. I just haven't had time.

If I was doing route navigation or the kinds of things most people use their Androids for, it probably wouldn't bother me all that much - if I'm doing route navigation I see the next turn or two I need to take anyway, so if I lost location I can usually keep going in the correct general direction until the voices in my GPS start telling me what to do again.

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Good to know. I currently use my iphone more for routing, not step by step voice. I would hate to get the device and have it fail completely using GPS. I mainly use google maps and Waze.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) During the warranty period, but after 15 days (that's the usual "replace with a new one" period), you can bring it to an AT&T Device Support Center (ask at your local AT&T store). They'll either fix it or replace it with a refurb while you wait. It doesn't matter where you bought it, AT&T will work on it.

2) Asurion (the insurance AT&T uses) will replace the phone if it doesn't work and it's out of warranty or the problem isn't covered by the warranty (like lost, stolen, dropped and broken, etc.)

As far as the GPS, you'll always get a few phones of any model that have a bad GPS, a bad wifi radio, something. No one has invented "perfect" yet. But it's covered. Generally, Samsung GPS is about as good as Magellan or TomTom. Maps is terrible (I use MyDirections as a "locations list" to keep my sanity), but I've used a Samsung for GPS since I moved here over 2 years ago, and it always gets me where I need to be. (It pronounces some street names in a strange way, but some names aren't pronounced the way they're spelled.)

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
This is great information. I wasn't looking for spot on 100% accurate all of the time ( would be nice) but reading some of the other posts about the Note 4 GPS seems to make is sound its like crap and doesn't work well.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This is great information. I wasn't looking for spot on 100% accurate all of the time ( would be nice) but reading some of the other posts about the Note 4 GPS seems to make is sound its like crap and doesn't work well.

Mine is spot on 99+% of the time and when it's not spot on for that under 1%, it's pretty obviously wrong (stuck in the same place for 10 seconds or so, "GPS signal lost" for 10 seconds or so, then back to normal). It's not perfect, but "crap" isn't the word I'd use to describe my specific issue.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I use GPS occasionally when driving to places I'm not familiar with and haven't had it fail on me. Also, if you plan to root and install custom roms the ATT version is locked down. Might be better to buy the T-Mobile version if you're into that kind of stuff.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I am not so heavy user of GPS, and for me Google Maps works fine..Sure there is some lag, but I can live with that.
Amazon got an amazing deal going on Note 4 for $220 with 2 yr contract....u might wanna check it out!