Default Launcher Constantly Needs Set

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Any time an app updates, I need to reset what my default launcher is. It's pretty annoying although some days, I can tolerate it.

Anyone else having this issue?

At first I thought it was Nova itself but after I uninstalled and went back to Go (which may have been a better move) I find it to still be persistent. I see old threads in the S4 forums about needing to uninstall the Google search update but I wanted to see if anyone here was having this issue and how they resolved it before looking into that.

Thanks people!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Any time an app updates, I need to reset what my default launcher is. It's pretty annoying although some days, I can tolerate it.

At first I thought it was Nova itself but after I uninstalled and went back to Go (which may have been a better move) I find it to still be persistent. I see old threads in the S4 forums about needing to uninstall the Google search update but I wanted to see if anyone here was having this issue and how they resolved it before looking into that.

Thanks people!

I'm using Nova Prime, and when I pressed the HOME button the first time after installing it I got the "which application should handle this?" prompt, answered Nova, and said "ALWAYS". Hasn't asked since, and I've updated a lot of apps since then.

Sometimes if a launcher updates it might reset that preference so you have to ask again (just in case it's not already the default, so you can choose to test out the shiny new launcher), but I only have Nova installed and neither it nor the Samsung default launcher have received any updates yet. Maybe if some of your apps are icon packs that affect the launcher? Dunno. Sorry.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks people!

I'm using Nova Prime, and when I pressed the HOME button the first time after installing it I got the "which application should handle this?" prompt, answered Nova, and said "ALWAYS". Hasn't asked since, and I've updated a lot of apps since then.

Sometimes if a launcher updates it might reset that preference so you have to ask again (just in case it's not already the default, so you can choose to test out the shiny new launcher), but I only have Nova installed and neither it nor the Samsung default launcher have received any updates yet. Maybe if some of your apps are icon packs that affect the launcher? Dunno. Sorry.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, unfortunately that's not the case here. It happens regardless of what app updates. I'm a Facebook beta tester and it gets updated probably every other day and every time it updates, I get prompted for which launcher I wish to be my default. This isn't just Facebook though. Every single time any app updates, it asks. It's quite frustrating.

I have seen previous threads w/ other Galaxy phones fixing it by uninstalling the Google Search updates but we don't have a "Google Search". I do have "Google App" though. Anyone have any knowledge if it's the same thing?

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Going to bump this to see if anyone possibly might see it that didn't before. It's fairly annoying and I'm shocked it's seemingly only happening w/ my device. The Google App updated on it's own so I can't really tell if that did anything to solve the problem.

Any help or points in the right direction will be appreciated.

EDIT: As a result of this, I started using Apex which is actually pretty solid. Free gestures will always win in my book. Go Launcher hid my brightness slider on the home screen. That es no bueno.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got done w/ a chat w/ a Samsung rep who kept deferring the blame to the 3rd party apps I'm using. I kept explaining to him that this is was an issue w/ the launchers themselves, millions of phones over the world would be having this issue but he wasn't getting that (and obviously) I'm one of the rare few having this issue.

I saved the transcript to see if there's ever a time I need a good read or need to know what incompetence looks like.

I hope their support isn't always this terrible. MIght try again later.

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
+1 here on this issue. (Verizon Note 4 running 4.4.4 and Nova Launcher)

As a rule, I restart my phone every morning and wipe it down to reset the device and the goop that accumulates on the phone. During the last week or so, after some but not all restarts, my default launcher needs reset.

Here is a new wrinkle though - when this happens, my default SMS app and keyboard somehow are set back to Samsung.

Getting quite annoying.

AndroidUser29

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
I have always used Samsung phones, but every model I have had has always tried to push one of their Samsung bloatware apps on me.
Pretty sure you already fixed your problem, but what I did for this problem on my S7 Edge (should work pretty similar on any stock app being pushed at you) was I went into Touchwiz & Touchwiz Easy apps these are the S7 Edge stock launchers and forced stopped/disabled them both. When you are doing that make sure you turn the Notifications OFF on both of those!
I then went into my favorite downloaded launcher app (CM Launcher) and set it as default (if it won't let you do that, no worries) because either way, well at least for me this was true on my S7 Edge, the next time you hit the home key it will ask you to once again to select your default launcher... Pick ALWAYS...
Now it should NOT keep asking you from that point forward (yet some things you open for the first time after that, such as email) may ask you one more time... But hopefully it should solve the problem for future use!! Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid