Friends iphone 6 plus lasting much longer than my Note 4

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Turn your brightness to a low setting and don't let it timeout. I'm sure you will get a TON of screen on time, but who cares??? That is not actual usage, and is how you said he achieved his 11 hour SOT, correct?

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Read up on how amoled screens work and use as many dark themes as possible. I easily get 6 hours of screen time, sometimes over 8 hours if I'm not using it for stuff that keeps the cpu going while it's off like streaming music and enable power saver.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
dark works, black works best, that's why my Firefox has black background add-on installed.
E.g.

View attachment 166894

I like that black background in the browser. I'll have to see if something like that is out for chrome. 8 hours of SOT would be nice. I had been using a pure black wallpaper, but recently switched to Earth and Moon Pro Live wallpaper. I haven't noticed any difference in battery w it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
iOS is not reliable in tracking actual usage.

There are times when my 6+ will say that I have 10hrs usage and 1.5days standby. The standby is correct but there is no way I used that phone for 10hrs.

My iPad is the same way. I barely use it anymore since buying my Note 4 and 6+ so it sits there. The standby times average about 14 days and it shows over 1 day of usage. How is that possible when I use the thing for maybe 5 minutes a day? I also turned off data on the iPad because I don't want to pay for the data plan anymore, I have no use for a data plan on it.

I think the way the Android OS calculates usage is far more accurate but it's not as accurate as many people think it is.

Just use your phone and really, it doesn't matter what the 6+ shows as usage because it's just plain wrong and always has been since the first iPhone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
iOS is not reliable in tracking actual usage.

There are times when my 6+ will say that I have 10hrs usage and 1.5days standby. The standby is correct but there is no way I used that phone for 10hrs.

My iPad is the same way. I barely use it anymore since buying my Note 4 and 6+ so it sits there. The standby times average about 14 days and it shows over 1 day of usage. How is that possible when I use the thing for maybe 5 minutes a day? I also turned off data on the iPad because I don't want to pay for the data plan anymore, I have no use for a data plan on it.

I think the way the Android OS calculates usage is far more accurate but it's not as accurate as many people think it is.

Just use your phone and really, it doesn't matter what the 6+ shows as usage because it's just plain wrong and always has been since the first iPhone.

Ios usage =Android time held awake plus SOT. This includes background sync, music, calls,etc. Basically anything that uses the cpu, screen on and screen off .

There is no option to see SOT on the iPhone.

For example, I got 5 hours 30 minutes of usage,but only 10 minutes of SOT here.

d13852627a920b638de0422ac4c959c9.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ios usage =Android time held awake plus SOT. This includes background sync, music, calls,etc. Basically anything that uses the cpu, screen on and screen off .

There is no option to see SOT on the iPhone.

For example, I got 5 hours 30 minutes of usage,but only 10 minutes of SOT here.

Regardless, iOS makes it hard to figure out just how much usage you are actually getting. Since all of those processes are lumped together, it seems like the iPhone/iPad is getting far much more usage then just about any device ever invented.

Joe Nunya

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Totally moot considering the fact that the iphone does not have an interchangeable battery so technically it can never last like ANY Android phone can.
With just one spare battery I can literally run my phone non stop for the life of the phone, battery last lets just say 6-8 hours of continuous use, pop it out, pop in freshly charged battery and charge the dead one, rinse and repeat indefinitely.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Regardless, iOS makes it hard to figure out just how much usage you are actually getting. Since all of those processes are lumped together, it seems like the iPhone/iPad is getting far much more usage then just about any device ever invented.
My point was that you said before that it was not reliable in providing usage, which is inaccurate. What you are looking for is SOT which it doesn't provide. I would agree with you that it is confusing but the usage stats are accurate.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
As a former iPhone 6 Plus owner, I can tell you that by the end of the day I've averaged about 70 percent left with my iPhone and around 30 percent with my Note 4. However, I use my Note 4 significantly more throughout the day over my iPhone. I also use the S-pen all day long. I literally keep it unsheathed and laying on my desk all day, which I'm sure affects the battery.

Note in my house!

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
One thing to also check out is apps that use your location services, those can drain a battery as well. If you have apps like that installed and your friend doesn't that could explain some of it. I have my brightness down to about 35%, I keep wifi off unless I need it, bluetooth is on (LG Watch R); my phone has been off the charger for 8 hours and 11 minutes and I still have 75% battery left. I've probably used it a total of hour and a half for mainly Facebook, email, twitter... not a real heavy user (I'm at a computer all day long so don't need to use my phone).

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
standby of 8 hours would leave me around 85% I'd say. It must just be that whole iOS not showing actual battery usage thing. I know this is at least partly true because the other day he tried to tell me his phone was on for 14 hours...

My screen was separating from the phone so vzw sent me a new one. If I notice many differences in battery life I'll try to post. What are the recent thoughts on Google Now and "OK Google" detection draining battery? I don't think I've noticed a difference.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
As long as i get thru a day, i could care less. I plug it in every night anyway.

Posted via the Android Central App

My issue is that I will sometimes be days away from being able to plug in. Using extra batteries and packs are working, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

By the way everyone, I turned off Facebook and went from ending a day with 4 hours SOT at 15% to 35-40%. This wasn't a one time thing, it happened for about a week. I just got lollipop on vzw so we'll see how that goes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20