Do you think Samsung and the Carriers stopped the Lollipop update for the S6?

aog3

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Ladies and Gentleman

I truly believe that Samsung and the Carriers stopped the updates to Lollipop. They know that we for the most part want the newest Android OS in our phones. Before the S6 and S6 Edge were announce, we saw updates for Lollipop were flowing and now they are almost at a holt.
They are conspiring to induce the users to buy the S6 or the Edge. This is something that Apple has it right, they always update their devices to the latest software. I don't like Iphone but this is one of the reasons they keep their customers happy, always giving them the most up to date OS and almost immediate bug fixes.
Let's get it right Samsung for your loyal customers!!!

nemopsp

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Idk about that? The Note 4 gets 5.0.1 and the Galaxy S6 comes with 5.0.2... but honestly I'm staying on 4.4.4 tell 5.1 or 4.4.4 root but I really don't care for the updat, I just want to to b released so I can stop seeing people complain...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Ladies and Gentleman

I truly believe that Samsung and the Carriers stopped the updates to Lollipop. They know that we for the most part want the newest Android OS in our phones. Before the S6 and S6 Edge were announce, we saw updates for Lollipop were flowing and now they are almost at a holt.
They are conspiring to induce the users to buy the S6 or the Edge. This is something that Apple has it right, they always update their devices to the latest software. I don't like Iphone but this is one of the reasons they keep their customers happy, always giving them the most up to date OS and almost immediate bug fixes.
Let's get it right Samsung for your loyal customers!!!
Well they`re much better than Apple. Once you update an OS on apple, you can no way downgrade. That forced me to sell my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 because I upgraded then when I saw that the performance went downhill as the phone couldn't handle the OS properly, thought I could downgrade but nope, they do that to force people to upgrade to the next big device even if they don't need it. So please stop complainin'. You don't know what heaven you're in with Samsung/Android devices compared to Apple's devilish plans to forcefully crippled their perfectly working customers' devices to force them to throw their devices in the bin and pay money to upgrade

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
They know that we for the most part want the newest Android OS in our phones.
Speak for yourself. I don't want a memory leak in my phone no matter how new it is. I want new features, but I don't want new bugs. And I don't want a UI that eats my battery for lunch. (LP is absolutely terrible on Amoled displays. All that current-eating white.)

Before the S6 and S6 Edge were announce, we saw updates for Lollipop were flowing and now they are almost at a holt.
Too many phones being brought back because of bugs, probably. Every phone that comes back means a loss (actually a loss, not just a profit they don't get) for Samsung. If they "sell" enough phones that are brought back they could go bankrupt.

This is something that Apple has it right, they always update their devices to the latest software. I don't like Iphone but this is one of the reasons they keep their customers happy, always giving them the most up to date OS and almost immediate bug fixes.
Right conclusion, wrong logic. Apple makes sure that all the bugs are out of a new version LONG before announcing it. (You'll see rumors of a new iOS many months before Apple makes the first announcement of what they're "planning" for it. [It's debugged, alpha tested, beta tested and ready for release by that time. When they say "planned release date is next Thursday", they mean "we're going to let it sit on the shelf for a week so you don't catch on to what we're really doing".]) So Apple can announce a new release, have it out in days and it has no bugs.

The only difference is that Google announces a new version when it's barely out of the think tank, no code has actually been written, then it's months before it's released for the Nexus it was designed on - without even alpha testing. "It loads? It runs? Good, release it. Let the users find the bugs." They both take about the same time between "It's time for a new version" and "It's pretty bug-free", it's just when the public announcement is made, and who does the testing, that's different. Jobs didn't ship bugs, Google does.

Then each manufacturer has to make it work on its devices, which means more coding and more bugs.

Then the manufacturers have to rewrite it, so more code, more bugs. (Apple can say "you don't like it the way we put it out, don't sell it", and the carriers have to sell what Apple gives them or shut their doors. No iPhone? Half their customers walk.)

That doesn't make iOS a better system than Linux with Android running on it (a few other things do, and a few things make it worse), and it doesn't make an Apple phone better than a Motorola, Samsung, HTC or any other manufacturer's product. And it doesn't say "Conspiracy", it says "Google didn't see the problems when they decided to get into the cellphone business". If they said "this is the system - make phones that run it, and no carrier modifications", we'd see one stock ROM for each version and a lot fewer bugs. (Microsoft does. You want to build a desktop? It has to run Windows the way Microsoft writes it. There's no "HP version", "Acer version", etc., there's a Windows 8.1 version. Your hardware better run on it or you can sell bare boxes and hope that someone comes out with a Linux distro for your hardware.)

@nemopsp:
You could root - if someone came out with a 4.4.2 with a pre-June 3, 2014 kernel for the 4. That's how we do it on the 3. Root 4.4.2, then flash a 4.4.4 kernel and a 4.4.4 ROM runs fine on it - rooted. There's even a 4.4.2 kernel flash that runs from 4.4.4, so you can get back to SafeStrap on bootloader-locked versions (which won't be updated, since Hashcode is doing important things - like Project Ara).

Start talking to the devs on the XDA Note 4 forums.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I stopped caring about the update and just got the lolipop launcher from the play store. By the time AT&T gets around to releasing it, I'll be gearing up for the Note 5 for my yearly upgrade in October it seems.

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
It has to be....... because the carriers are always speedy with their updates. Also, we know that the majority of users will immediately upgrade to the S6 after purchasing a Note 4 a few months ago. Just because they don't have their Lollipop update. Let's make them angry and they'll spend more money. That's sound thinking.

All the other carriers must be mad at Sprint and didn't include them in their dastardly plot to withhold their Note 4 Lollipop release. I bet it kills their S6 sales and they go bankrupt.

It just could be possible they're not done testing the software. It takes entirely too long, but that's just the way it is.

Last edited:

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Let me just set up my aluminum foil hat stand. I think I'm going to get a few customers here.

No, I don't think that's the case at all. Two disparate events that may coincide do *not* indicate causality. That's like saying "Global Warming is being caused by the lack of pirates." Most of the popular phones/recent flagships have Lollipop, Lollipop may be taking longer or not scheduled for older phones, and the lull in other models getting Lollipop (plus the release of 5.1 to build on, which includes many good bug fixes to older versions), in NO WAY indicates that Samsung somehow strong-armed the Carriers (especially Verizon with their exclusive Droid phones) who have other huge manufacturers (Motorola, LG, and HTC to name three), to stop providing updates to those phones. To suggest so is, honestly, laughable.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I hope they stopped the update because of the issues that some of the phones were having . To say that they stopped the update because it's going to make a note owner get a s 6 to get lollipop is ridiculous. I hope you're kidding.

Posted via the Android Central App