Got a tiny bit of water in the speaker on the back of my phone, and now only the home button won't work, why?

Natashiaaa

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
got a tiny bit of water in speaker on back of my phone only home button wont work?

im a waitress and while helping the dishwasher my phone was in my apron, a small amount of water splashed up and got into the pocket i had my phone in i immediately removed the case and nothing was wet except the speaker on the back had a drop but it was only under the case, the case was not wet nor was there any sign of water damage at all...i dried it out and even let it sit over night upside down with the back cover off. i guess it got into the speaker everything works perfectly. EXCEPT for some reason my home button doesnt work at all...i dont understand why this happened. and i dont know how to go about getting it fixed? any suggestions?? (galaxy note 4)

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: got a tiny bit of water in speaker on back of my phone only home button wont work?

im a waitress and while helping the dishwasher my phone was in my apron, a small amount of water splashed up and got into the pocket i had my phone in i immediately removed the case and nothing was wet except the speaker on the back had a drop but it was only under the case, the case was not wet nor was there any sign of water damage at all...i dried it out and even let it sit over night upside down with the back cover off. i guess it got into the speaker everything works perfectly. EXCEPT for some reason my home button doesnt work at all...i dont understand why this happened. and i dont know how to go about getting it fixed? any suggestions?? (galaxy note 4)

It sounds like some moister might have gotten on the board or something. You could try to wait it out and see if it starts working. Do you have insurance on your phone through your carrier?

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: got a tiny bit of water in speaker on back of my phone only home button wont work?

Try taking the battery out and open the phone and place it in a bag of rice overnight.
Good Luck!
Ron

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Try taking the battery out and open the phone and place it in a bag of rice overnight.
Good Luck!
Ron
+1. This is the best solution. I'd even say 24 hours. Key thing is to remove the battery asap.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

File insurance claim and get it replaced. This could get worse over time.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Putting a phone with impure or ionized water in dry rice is a sure way of guaranteeing that the phone will start failing. By now it's way too late, but some water got into the phone, along with phosphates from the detergent, fatty acids dissolved from food, etc., making for a nice chemical brew that slowly etches all the exposed metal inside the phone and causes shorts in the electronics.

For next time, read Oh, no! My Phone got Wet! And if you're going into th kitchen, grab a sandwich baggie, put your phone into it and zip it up airtight. 2 cents and you could drop your phone into the ocean (as long as it's not too deep to get it back) without worrying. Put that into a gallon size baggie filled with air and your phone won't even sink. (You can use the phone through a single baggie, no matter how ridiculous it looks. 25 years ago, someone walking down the street, talking to himself, with a piece of plastic hanging out of his ear, would have been put into a straight jacket and locked up. Today you can't walk down the street without someone being in a conversation on a Bluetooth earphone. Some day, someone is going to make bags shaped for each phone and seeing people with "bagged phones" will be common. [And I probably won't get a dime for the ides.])

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair