Both 4G and Wifi running at the same time

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't even see that app after the update. I was looking for it to disable it, and can't find it. That's why I'm so puzzled.

Like I said, I'm not that concerned, I just don't like something happening that I can't explain

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't even see that app after the update. I was looking for it to disable it, and can't find it. That's why I'm so puzzled.

Like I said, I'm not that concerned, I just don't like something happening that I can't explain

You will find it under "Turned Off" in application manager. I have it disabled.

Posted via the Android Central App

ravenwhale

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I have this too and it is using both wi-fi and data. If you watch it while surfing around you will see the active arrows on both icons on the notification bar. Also, since I live in a rural area, it is moving from 4g to 3g to 1x and all the while using up the battery. I have tried everything that has been suggested on this thread and others and nothing works. I have unlimited data but it clearly should not be doing this. It switched automatically before and the data icon would gray out when I came home and it picked up wi-fi. Apparently this is not happening to others. I now have to manually turn off data when I return home and turn on when I leave home to save the battery. Not good..... Hoping someone figures it out. If I do I will let you know.

ravenwhale

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Just saw this on Verizon customer support site:

2. Re: 4G and WiFi on at the same time

Verizon Wireless Customer Support
Diamond
Verizon Wireless Customer Support Apr 5, 2015 11:47 AM (in response to Sallyvs19)
Sallyvs19,

I can understand your concerns in wanting to verify what network that you're device is utilizing. Your device may show 4G LTE still available at times even when WiFI is enabled, but it will utilize Wifi over cellular data. Certain applications such as My Verizon or Visual Voice mail require the 4G connection and may still utilize 4G services. If you'd like to ensure no 4G is utilized at all, then you can you disable the mobile data in your settings. Let us know if you have any questions!

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Just saw this on Verizon customer support site:

2. Re: 4G and WiFi on at the same time

Verizon Wireless Customer Support
Diamond
Verizon Wireless Customer Support Apr 5, 2015 11:47 AM (in response to Sallyvs19)
Sallyvs19,

I can understand your concerns in wanting to verify what network that you're device is utilizing. Your device may show 4G LTE still available at times even when WiFI is enabled, but it will utilize Wifi over cellular data. Certain applications such as My Verizon or Visual Voice mail require the 4G connection and may still utilize 4G services. If you'd like to ensure no 4G is utilized at all, then you can you disable the mobile data in your settings. Let us know if you have any questions!

Disable mobile data...yeah then re-enable it every time u need it!
Well...I am on a limited data plan..if this thing uses my Data (cuz I do see the 2 arrows beneath my 4G light up even though I am on wifi), I am gonna FIGHT with verizon!

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem,it INDEED uses both WiFi AND 4G data when watching YouTube videos. I have not noticed any data usage just surfing the net,but it DOES watching videos. This needs to be fixed,that's the whole reason for WiFi at home,so I don't use my data! Never had this problem with KitKat 4.4,as the 4G data was always greyed out when using WiFi (after turning off the Caller ID app). I didn't need the 4G lit up with KitKat,and I DONT need it lit up with Lollipop either,I don't use Advanced Calling.....

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Here's my screen shot of what I'm talking about. This wasn't happening prior to the update. Well...it did happen until I disabled one of the junk software Verizon had put on my phone. Now I can't recall what is causing it this time.

Posted via the Android Central App

I did not get to read through all the replies, so if I give a duplicate answer forgive me.

I have had both my wifi and data signals showing for some time but the up and down arrows are only lit up on one. If you are on wifi and are concerned, do a speed test and it will show you what you are connected to.

ybuy

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
This is a load of balony! It does use the 4G and Wifi. Mine nearly ran out of Data. Verizon told me to disable Mobile Data while at home or on another Wifi network. What a pain and royal hassel to do everytime you need one or the other! So I disabled it and have all kinds of problems from not receiving text messages to the internet crashing. Funny how my kids can get text messages on their basic phones without data, but I can't! Verizon doesn't have a fix for this yet. Upgrading to Lollipop is a mistake! Took them a really long time to release but now no patches in place to fix issues. Disabling Caller ID or disabling Visual voice mail won't fix the problems either. Verizon suggests resetting your phone or that an APP is causing the issue. I have disabled just about everything I can and don't play games or install random apps. Verizon has no clue how to fix this error yet.

souls33k3r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Ok i might be off track here but isn't this the work of the "Smart Network Switch"? The option can be found under Settings > Wi-Fi and at the very top. Hope this helps

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what the answer is but I've had both showing for the last 12 days. I looked at my usage over the last month and there has been zero increase in data used since I switched to the Note 4 from the iPhone 6 Plus. I am very consistent in how I use my phone day in and day out. I don't see this as a bug. I think it is there so that if you lose wifi it will kick in LTE.

Sent from my Note 4

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Under WiFi > Advanced there is an option for Smart Network Switch:

Automatically switch between mobile data and Wi-Fi to maintain a stable internet connection

Mine is on (I don't use a lot of mobile data anyway). Perhaps this could be a reason its using both mobile and WiFi data.

Steve Whitaker

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site

Automatically switch between mobile data and Wi-Fi to maintain a stable internet connection

Mine is on (I don't use a lot of mobile data anyway). Perhaps this could be a reason its using both mobile and WiFi data.
Note 4. AT&T. Same condition. Reboot fixed the problem for me. GL

ViperGeek

May 2, 2011
Visit site

The LG G4 has a similar feature under Settings → Wi-Fi → Advanced Wi-Fi called "Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections". One thing to note is that this can mess with any attempt to log into a Wi-Fi portal (e.g. something that makes you accept an agreement before connecting). As soon as the phone determines that the portal isn't getting you to the Internet, it falls back to 3G/4G. By the time you pop up your browser to accept the agreement, you're on mobile data and the browser can't find the portal.

It's happened to me a few times now (hotels, Starbucks, etc.) and I only recently figured out what was going on. Perhaps this can help others avoid this counter-intuitive situation.

- Dave

MaccaBird

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So I was having the problem of wifi and 4G LTE being on at the same time on my Verizon GS6. Today, they just released an update to turn on WiFi calling, and after the update, WiFi finally works on its own now. The 4G symbol is grayed out when i'm on WiFi (where as before both would be white and lit up). So let's hope it stays like this forever. I will report back if it goes back to being broken

Rjbjaj

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site

My smart switch is off. The others mentioned previously in this thread are also off or disabled. However, when I get home my phone doesn't switch to WiFi and if I do it manually 4g kicks back on and I can see arrows light up on both WiFi and 4g at the same time. We have a limited and shared plan so this is especially frustrating and should not be happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci