Do You Recommend A Factory Reset After Installing Lollipop?

mattm1124

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
So I've only had my note 4 for about a month now and haven't had any issues. I updated to Lollipop last night and everything seems to be working well also. Only thing is when I enter my lock code pin, it may lag a little bit. I have been reading that some say to always do a factory reset after a new OS but some say only do it if you are experiencing problems. I wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks,

Matt

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
So I've only had my note 4 for about a month now and haven't had any issues. I updated to Lollipop last night and everything seems to be working well also. Only thing is when I enter my lock code pin, it may lag a little bit. I have been reading that some say to always do a factory reset after a new OS but some say only do it if you are experiencing problems. I wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks,

Matt

I hate setting everything up again, so I just "Cleared Cache" and mine is working fine since the Verizon Lollipop Update yesterday afternoon. That's just me - a lot of people suggest doing it!

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I hate setting everything up again, so I just "Cleared Cache" and mine is working fine since the Verizon Lollipop Update yesterday afternoon. That's just me - a lot of people suggest doing it!

Fyi, the update clears your cache, that's the reason it says updating apps when you first start the phone after an update.

Posted

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks,

Matt

Only if your OCD about it, or you have a specific problem you can't fix, ie terrible battery life, app crashes, unexplained lag.

Posted

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I always do a wipe or factory reset when upgrading the OS (doesn't matter if it's a phone or computer). Back up important files (and then double and triple check to make sure you have everything), and do a reset. Personally I think it's a better way to do it - clears out old crap, removes traces of old/deleted files, etc. and gives you a fresh start.

Yes it's a pain in the rear to set everything up again, but long term I seem to have fewer issues. I'm not saying you HAVE TO but I'd recommend it if you have the time and patience to set everything up again after. If you don't want the hassle, it's not an absolute must.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I usually dont, but after reading all the issues that have been reported, i figured since yesterday was my day off, i might as well do a reset. I didnt have to go anywhere last night so i could sit and re set up the phone.

No problems so far..

Posted via the Android Central App

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade was pretty flawless, I didn't think I'd need to do one I didn't have any of the issues others have complained about. However, today I got bored and figured, may as well. I do notice a difference, but I always notice a difference after any factory reset. Plus I decided to encrypt the device now so I figured it was best to start out as clean as possible.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
My upgrade had no issues. Used the phone one day with no factory reset but decided to do it after all. Had the phone for close to 5 months now and a fresh start after an upgrade is always a good move.

Did factory reset just because I wanted a clean start. Had my Nova setting backed up. It was a breeze to restore it. In seconds everything was back to where I had it.

Runs smooth and fast. Nothing to complain about. Love a fresh phone after factory resets.

robcassman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I did the factory reset because of so many problems. It took four hours to re-download all my apps. Another hour or so to reconfigure my phone as I had it, four more to download all my songs.... And I now have terrible battery life. Today I have had to plug my phone in 4 times!

This happens with every android phone I've had. New update makes the phone worse. Reset doesn't fix it. Live with chappy battery life.

down1plus2

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I didnt do any factory reset or clear cache, Everything is running smooth as butter after update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech