Do I have to upgrade to Lollipop?

Hunter8282

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Woke up this morning to a notification that Lollipop is ready to be installed. My only choices are Install Now or Install Later. If I press Install Later, it just gives me the option to set a time to install it or be reminded again to install it.

Do I HAVE to install this update? If not, how do I get rid of the prompt to update.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Do I have to upgrade to Lolipop?

No. No one is obliged to do so. It wouldn't matter in real-terms for sometime if you didn't, but, over time, developers would be mainly supporting the latest software in their apps etc., so at some stage it's advisable to upgrade.

Any particular reason you don't want Lollipop?

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I put off 4.4.4 for a long time and out of nowhere when I was driving it forced installed. I was kind of mad about it.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Woke up this morning to a notification that Lollipop is ready to be installed. My only choices are Install Now or Install Later. If I press Install Later, it just gives me the option to set a time to install it or be reminded again to install it.

Do I HAVE to install this update? If not, how do I get rid of the prompt to update.

Thanks!

Is there a reason why you don't want Lollipop?

My sister hates upgrading out of fear of factory resets.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My last phone was worse after I did an update and I am just afraid that's going to happen again. I like it as it is right now.

Take the chance and upgrade. Plenty of threads on here that describe most of not all problems you may get with Lollipop.

My upgrade went without a hitch and I didn't need to do a factory reset either.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to update to Lollipop. I'm quite happy with KitKat 4.4.4. I just don't want the possibility of it malfunctioning. I personally think these upgrades are often over-hyped. Phones with JB OR ICS are still working fine with apps that have been updated to LOLLIPOP. However I do change my phone yearly so I'm anticipating the Note 5 having lollipop 5.1.

Adegbenro Agoro. Galaxy Note 4.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well I will just say, at least for me, Lollipop is awesome. I did not have any problems before with Kit Kat. My phone ran nice and smooth. Now it is even more smooth and snappy. My opinion, you are missing out if you don't update. :cool:

Hunter8282

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
So weird... I just checked my wife's note 4 (she has a black one and I have a white one). On her's if you go to Settings>System updates she has an option to say No thanks... When I go to Settings>System updates I only have the option to install now or install later.

VannM

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
The upgrade went smoothly for me. I can't tell much improvement though so I'm not sure what the advantage of lollipop is.

Hunter8282

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
OMG... this basically full screen notification that says "Software update ready to install" keeps popping up over my home page and is driving me nuts!

And it only gives the option to install later or install now. SO annoying!

lpcs1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that my device has a slower reaction time and loading time , especially while running

Any other similar problems ?

Last edited:

Hunter8282

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I finally pressed Install now to the popup which did an update but I am still on KitKat 4.4.4. It then prompted that there was an update which included Lollipop however it now was the same as my wife's Note 4 and gave me the option to say no thanks. So that's what I did for the time being.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that my device has a slower reaction time and loading time , especially while running S Note ever since I upgraded to Lollipop

My Samsung Gear VR also seemed more laggy after the upgrade.

Any other similar problems ?
Assuming you have not done so already, you definitely want to do a factory reset. More so than any Android update I've ever had on any phone, this one seems to compel it. Happily, Kies is good enough now that I was able to rely on its backup, including its app backup capability (and Nova Launcher's backup), to get my phone exactly where it was before the reset, minus login info for some apps