Different colors in contacts on lollipop??

latinking91

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know what the different colors represent or how to change them because the yellow is very ugly and I wish there was a way we could change them.

Posted via My Note 4

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The color from my experience using the Google messenger is that it pulls the predominant color from the contact photo. Otherwise it's random.

Posted via the Android Central App

miss kitkat

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
The colors are ugly. For anyone who doesn't know what we're complaining about, this pic should explain it. The image on the left was taken from a screen shot of my phone which I magnified to show only the contact's background color and not the contact's information. Then, doing an image search online, I was able to find a color match which I've shown on the left. I HATE this color and I have no option to change colors in my contacts or messages.Material Design match.PNG

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
The varying colors of the contacts is not random on my phone (Galaxy S5).
Each time I add a contact it selects the next color in the sequence...
Blue, Green, Orange, Orange
Blue, Green, Orange, Orange...

It just looks untidy in the Contacts list, and I see no way of changing it - apart from adding a contact a few times until it's the color you want, and deleting the unwanted ones. You could also create some simple color pictures to assign to each profile picture (if you don't have their photo)

Bostski

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Workaround by creating several color swatches for profile pictures.

I found a workaround. Create swatches of different colors using a sketch app. Under the contacts, select the photo with the color you want.

I used the Sony Sketch app because it was free and rated well, but you could use any drawing app.
Create a blank new drawing and set the background to the color you want.
Save the picture. In the Sony Sketch app I also had to export it so I could see it in Gallery. The drawing was only 70-80kb, but other sketch programs with lower resolution be have a smaller size. I could not find how to change the resolution in the Sony Sketch app.
In the contacts, select the picture. The only downside is the picture does not have the first letter of the contact in the middle, but that is fine with me because the name is listed to the side.

Annabowdanna

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Re: Workaround by creating several color swatches for profile pictures.

Go into you text messages with the person who's colour you want to change. Click on the three dots then press "people and options" scroll to where it says their name and there should be a little artist pallet next to it. Click on that and you can change the colour of their icon. I have a nexus 6p and that's what works for me!

segallis

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Workaround by creating several color swatches for profile pictures.

Go into you text messages with the person who's colour you want to change. Click on the three dots then press "people and options" scroll to where it says their name and there should be a little artist pallet next to it. Click on that and you can change the colour of their icon. I have a nexus 6p and that's what works for me!

That only changes the color in messenger. The color in phone contacts remains unchanged.