So I just moved to NYC...and here's my issue!

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Every time i ride the subway, phone "searches" for signal..understood since there is no fricking service underground.
Also my GPS starts "finding location"...obviously!

So I have to manually enable the Airplane mode when I am about to get into the subway, turn off location services and then when I get off, re-start location services and disable airplane mode...too much hassle given I have to do this like 1000 times in the work week!!!

Here's the million $$ question..any app that willl automatically take care of all this? cuz if I don't do anything, the battery drains like crazy given it's trying to find the location and searching for service!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Every time i ride the subway, phone "searches" for signal..understood since there is no fricking service underground.
Also my GPS starts "finding location"...obviously!

So I have to manually enable the Airplane mode when I am about to get into the subway, turn off location services and then when I get off, re-start location services and disable airplane mode...too much hassle given I have to do this like 1000 times in the work week!!!

Here's the million $$ question..any app that willl automatically take care of all this? cuz if I don't do anything, the battery drains like crazy given it's trying to find the location and searching for service!

Tasker

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
AutomateIt as well. You can also use it to add a short cut to the homescreen. Tap it to toggle everything on or off.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Good one...I have that..Could you help me out with the profiles? I am not so good @ it..all the profiles i have so far on it i have set it up with help of youtube videos!
One profile to turn all the radios off, one to turn them on. (Just keep adding tasks, going to the radio you want, enable or disable it, go to the next one, etc. - maybe have it put a toast on the screen or say "radios off" and "radios on".) Make "apps" out of them using Tasker App Factory. Put them on your home screen. Tap and they're off, another tap and they're on.

Or you could probably trigger on airplane mode on. When it turns on don't do anything (a task with a 1 second [or 1ms] delay). For the exit task, turn on the radios you normally have on - wifi, mobile, GPS, etc.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
One profile to turn all the radios off, one to turn them on. (Just keep adding tasks, going to the radio you want, enable or disable it, go to the next one, etc. - maybe have it put a toast on the screen or say "radios off" and "radios on".) Make "apps" out of them using Tasker App Factory. Put them on your home screen. Tap and they're off, another tap and they're on.

Or you could probably trigger on airplane mode on. When it turns on don't do anything (a task with a 1 second [or 1ms] delay). For the exit task, turn on the radios you normally have on - wifi, mobile, GPS, etc.

How do I set up a trigger though? The trigger should be when the phone looses signal? How do I set up that part?

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Found a app called Auto pilot mode but it only works for rooted phone!

Guys really need help here cuz I don't want my phone to drain battery like that during the day!

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Good one...I have that..Could you help me out with the profiles? I am not so good @ it..all the profiles i have so far on it i have set it up with help of youtube videos!

+1 for Tasker. For an excellent primer on tasker use, search for hollowoodfrodo's "Tasker 101"on youtube. If you cannot find it pm me. I have the link on my pc. Trick is to create" tasks" first and allocate profiles to the task

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjV3HijScGMynGvjJrvNNd5Q9pPy255dL

Link included

Last edited:

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
+1 for Tasker. For an excellent primer on tasker use, search for hollowoodfrodo's "Tasker 101"on youtube. If you cannot find it pm me. I have the link on my pc. Trick is to create" tasks" first and allocate profiles to the task

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjV3HijScGMynGvjJrvNNd5Q9pPy255dL

Link included

Alright...it seems like Tasker will be my only solution right now. I will have to look into setting it up !!

Btw...the very 1st time I entered the NY subway with my Note 4, it lost signal and asked me if I wanted to switch to "Global network mode" something...any 1 knows what that is?

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Alright...it seems like Tasker will be my only solution right now. I will have to look into setting it up !!

Btw...the very 1st time I entered the NY subway with my Note 4, it lost signal and asked me if I wanted to switch to "Global network mode" something...any 1 knows what that is?

Roaming option perhaps? ForTasker look at a location based option to turn off Wifi and mobile signals and turn the gps off based on time < than journey time to reactivate both.

barrettdaniel

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
You could use NFC tabs. If you have a brief case or bag or something that you take to work each day you can attach an NF tag to it and set it to turn airplane mode on/off. You can then simply tap your phone to the NFC tag when you enter the subway and tap it again when your out!

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
You could use NFC tabs. If you have a brief case or bag or something that you take to work each day you can attach an NF tag to it and set it to turn airplane mode on/off. You can then simply tap your phone to the NFC tag when you enter the subway and tap it again when your out!

Tht's a pretty cool idea...How much are those NFC tags? And i would still have to program with Tasker my phone to switch on airplane mode everytime I tap on NFC tag, right?

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Tht's a pretty cool idea...How much are those NFC tags? And i would still have to program with Tasker my phone to switch on airplane mode everytime I tap on NFC tag, right?

Far as i know the NFC tags are coded separately to do it's own thing. One to switch off the services to turn on again. Tasker not involved at all

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Far as i know the NFC tags are coded separately to do it's own thing. One to switch off the services to turn on again. Tasker not involved at all

found some on amazon...I think you would have to program them individually as to how u want them to work...tht's beyond my expertise on smartphone stuff!

barrettdaniel

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that link..but still not helpful...Does my phone have to be rooted for most of these tasks? cuz i don't see the options in tasker that link is talking about!

No, no need to root. All you would have to do is buy some tags, there are some apps that allow you to apply an action to tags and them you just have the NFC option on your phone turned on and you're golden! Tasker wouldn't be needed here.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
No, no need to root. All you would have to do is buy some tags, there are some apps that allow you to apply an action to tags and them you just have the NFC option on your phone turned on and you're golden! Tasker wouldn't be needed here.

Cool...I will try tht out! I will look into the apps first and see how can I program a NFC tag!