Factory vs hard reset for Note 4???

dukejake4

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
With all the battery issues I have been having with my note 4, I have decided to just reset it and start fresh. Which reset should I do considering I have been told to do both? What's the main difference between the two? Thanks!

IRRELEVANT- Also, I have always transferred majority of my "apps to SD card", what will happen with them after the reset or should I transfer them back to "storage device" to get cleaned in case they are the cause of all the problems?

Sent from my Sammy Note 4

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Hard reset is the same as factory reset, I don't think transferring app back to storage is needed.

Did you try wiping cache and see if it helps with your problem? Is much less destructive.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
With all the battery issues I have been having with my note 4, I have decided to just reset it and start fresh. Which reset should I do considering I have been told to do both? What's the main difference between the two? Thanks!

IRRELEVANT- Also, I have always transferred majority of my "apps to SD card", what will happen with them after the reset or should I transfer them back to "storage device" to get cleaned in case they are the cause of all the problems?

If you don't transfer the apps back to the phone from the SD card, after you do the factory reset, it won't know about those SD card apps and you'll end up like I did, having to reinstall those apps, even though I first did a backup (using Kies), updated to Lollipop, did the factory reset, then restored (again, using Kies). The restore only restored the apps that were on the phone. Good luck.

dukejake4

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Ohh okay thank you for the response! I haven't reset it yet but I just went and moved all the apps back to storage device because I'm not concerned about losing data. I'm doing my backup now. I tried everything I know of and read online before I came to the conclusion a factory reset was needed. But are you sure it's the same? I read that a hard reset will erase more than just a factory reset?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I did a factory reset after LP update. Not sure what a hard reset is. Just remember that Kies will only reinstall the apps and not the data or settings associated to each app.

Posted via the Android Central App

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Ohh okay thank you for the response! I haven't reset it yet but I just went and moved all the apps back to storage device because I'm not concerned about losing data. I'm doing my backup now. I tried everything I know of and read online before I came to the conclusion a factory reset was needed. But are you sure it's the same? I read that a hard reset will erase more than just a factory reset?

never heard of a hard reset. Must be a Factory reset you mean.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

dukejake4

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I factory reset my Note 4, and WOW, it made a huge difference! I unplugged my phone at 8 this morning and it's not almost 11:30 with pretty heavy use and I still have a little more that 30% battery left. I honestly think that the Lollipop update wasn't the cause of my battery drain, but rather those %&!%$#! battery saver and cleaning apps I had installed on my phone for a while. I wish everyone knew how pointless and harming those apps were to keep the creator of those apps from getting rich for absolutely nothing. For instance, clean master has what 50 million downloads if not more?! I was young and stupid once and fell into the trap of believing they would help my phone too so I can't say anything. So if you have any of these types of apps on your phone, PLEASE UNINSTALL IT!!

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
that's weird honestly i've been using both Clean master and Dr battery with no problem affecting my battery with Kitkat and Lollipop i'm still getting roughly about 2 1/2 days of battery ususage before i charge. I like Dr battery because i'm able to schedule my phone to sleep at a certain time where it turns off everything for me instead of me manually doing it every night before i go to bed. So i find that useful. I'm still kinda curious about clean master and it's usefulness.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I installed GSAM and then uninstalled it. It was using up resources that could be better used elsewhere.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

BigCrimsonTX

May 15, 2014
Visit site
that's weird honestly i've been using both Clean master and Dr battery with no problem affecting my battery with Kitkat and Lollipop i'm still getting roughly about 2 1/2 days of battery ususage before i charge. I like Dr battery because i'm able to schedule my phone to sleep at a certain time where it turns off everything for me instead of me manually doing it every night before i go to bed. So i find that useful. I'm still kinda curious about clean master and it's usefulness.

Please clarify Dr Battery or is it Battery Dr. I'm looking for it. If you have a Google Store link pls provide.

Thanks in Advance.

wetermommy

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Clearing the cache helped my issues with lollipop. Was happy I didn't have to factory reset/hard reset.

Posted via the Android Central App

dukejake4

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Crimson, how has battery doctor been working for you? I did read that it was one of the more useful battery apps, but I haven't tried it and probably wont just cuz of the problems I have had. The only thing I liked about du battery saver was the charging system and how it does the trickle charge towards the end of the charge. Does anyone know if our phones are made to charge that way already or if that whole thing is just a hoax?

dukejake4

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Also, what do you guys thing of the advanced calling feature or for Verizon I believe it's called "volte"?? I put it on my phone but have yet to use it because nobody I know has it too...

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Also, what do you guys thing of the advanced calling feature or for Verizon I believe it's called "volte"?? I put it on my phone but have yet to use it because nobody I know has it too...

With Verizon, if you leave HD Voice turned on and you talk to someone who does not have HD Voice on Verizon, your sound quality will be pretty bad talking to that person. Try it and ask him/her how you sound. I leave mine turned off until more of my contacts have HD Voice too.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering about the OP.

Is Settings>General>Backup and reset>Factory data reset
the same as Volume up+Home button+Power button, select wipe data/factory reset

Do those two option produce identical results?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze