4g kicks on

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
For the past couple of days the 4g data on my Note 4 randomly turns on. I haven't downloaded any apps recently. I'm running lollipop. Not sure if there's a setting I need to shut off.

Thanks

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
For the past couple of days the 4g data on my Note 4 randomly turns on. I haven't downloaded any apps recently. I'm running lollipop. Not sure if there's a setting I need to shut off.

Thanks

If its random, that might indicate that you have download Booster turned on. Have you checked that? It's in the settings drop down menu.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-19-19-48-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-19-19-48-11.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 135

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
If its random, that might indicate that you have download Booster turned on. Have you checked that? It's in the settings drop down menu.

Yeah I checked that too. It's off and it's still doing it...bug thanks for the reply.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
One other setting (I'm on AT&T, so it might be the same as Download Booster under another name) is under "Settings" "WiFi", and is called "Smart Network Switch". This is supposed to switch between various network connections to maintain a stable Internet connection.

I still see the mobile data type "light up" frequently whether this is on or off, but this reverts to mobile data automatically if you are connected to a WiFi access point that has terrible (or no) access to the Internet.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
One other setting (I'm on AT&T, so it might be the same as Download Booster under another name) is under "Settings" "WiFi", and is called "Smart Network Switch". This is supposed to switch between various network connections to maintain a stable Internet connection.

I still see the mobile data type "light up" frequently whether this is on or off, but this reverts to mobile data automatically if you are connected to a WiFi access point that has terrible (or no) access to the Internet.

I didn't know about that feature. Thanks for that info, unfortunately mine was already off.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe data is also used for Location, Google Services, and several other background apps. Mine don't use much but they do turn on every so often for short periods.

And if you use third party apps that you ask to check every so often like weather apps for hourly updates for example if your phone isn't on a WiFi network and you haven't or can't set to Wifi only they will use a bit data every time they check per your instructions to the app.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know about that feature. Thanks for that info, unfortunately mine was already off.

I'd try turning it on and back off. It is possible, albeit unlikely, that the GUI is not properly reflecting the current setting.

In any case, it's harmless to give that a go.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The 4G icon means that you're connected to a 4G radio at the tower. It doesn't mean that you're actually transferring data over 4G. If the 4G icon comes and goes, it means that you're on the edge of the 4G coverage area. (On an AT&T Note 3, so I don't know if it's the same on your note 4, if Wifi is on, 4G is off, even if the phone is in a solid 4G coverage area.)

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
The 4G icon means that you're connected to a 4G radio at the tower. It doesn't mean that you're actually transferring data over 4G. If the 4G icon comes and goes, it means that you're on the edge of the 4G coverage area. (On an AT&T Note 3, so I don't know if it's the same on your note 4, if Wifi is on, 4G is off, even if the phone is in a solid 4G coverage area.)

Is this a new lollipop feature?

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
No mine did that periodically on 4.4.4 too. It just means your phone needed to connect to your service provider momentarily.

The issue doesn't appear to be momentarily. The 4g does not shut off and it's using my capped data plan.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I fixed it. Apparently when you reset the phone a message pops up asking if you want to manually control 4g...I've been backing out of that than just selecting yes.

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I fixed it. Apparently when you reset the phone a message pops up asking if you want to manually control 4g...I've been backing out of that than just selecting yes.

Weird, I've never seen such a message before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs