Noob questions regarding general Android, laucher and Lock screen app/widget

souls33k3r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

First of all this forum has been really great. Since i've bought myself my first ever android device, i chose to go for this beauty (Note 4). Loving the device but not really that convinced why Android is better than iOS. I've always owned an apple product so maybe that's why and maybe i've only been using an android device for just over 2 weeks so don't realise the full potential or just don't feel the need to change anything on it (Unless someone can guide me to a thread or something to read what exactly can i do without having to root the device, would be helpful)

Now on to my main question, i'm loving the TouchWiz but like so many other people i don't like the 4x4 icon formation and would certainly like to have a few more squeeze in. I've heard some launchers can do that, also a launcher can get me a totally different feel and look of the phone (please do correct me if i'm wrong). Can you please guide me to a free version? I don't want to pay for anything (call me cheapskates lol)

Secondly, i'm not a huge fan of using the physical buttons (home, power, volume) because for some reason i'm scared of breaking them so to counter the home button i am using the "Side Key Panel" which is working wonderfully, using the Air Wake to power on the device but am looking for an App of some sort that can lock the device.

I know there is that Assistive touch thing that does have the lock screen option but that is annoying. So an app would be great which if just pressed (like torch) would automatically lock the screen. If nothing works, then i guess i'll just live with the auto close of the phone option after a few seconds.

Thanks.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You could try Nova launcher. The free version is more than enough for a start. Plenty of features to personalise your phone. To lock the phone you can use Screen off & lock, free in the Play Store. You can add a shortcut in your homescreen to lock the phone.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Javier P. I'll give these both a go. I just hope i don't lose the icon badges.

If you like Nova Launcher, you can buy it and have a better experience.

Nova just allows you to customize the way you want :) Also, if you ever want to try out a near stock android exp without having to root try out the Google Now launcher.

souls33k3r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
While trying to download Nova Launcher, i am getting "Nova Laucnher could not be downloaded due to an error 491" *confused*

Gunny94, i havent tried Google Now Launcher but i have seen it and quite honestly that didn't have much of an appeal to me unfortunately.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

souls33k3r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver97, that fixed the issue for me.

I totally agree with you, but i'd much rather try it first and if i like it then of course there is no reason why i shouldn't purchase the app. I'm all up for paying for the hard work.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with you, but i'd much rather try it first

I understand that. No sweat, there. It's just a lot of people won't bother to front a little cash for an app. I tried building one myself, and saw how much work goes into it. Been trying to get paid versions ever since.

souls33k3r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I'd pay good money if the app is worth it.

Screen Off and lock works a treat for me (Thanks Javier P)

Nova launcher, well first impression, i didn't really like it ... lol but i'll go through your guide Golfdriver97 and see what really can i do with it. Annoying this in the free version is the i lose the badges which i'm quite used to coming from iPhones

souls33k3r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Sorry the more i'm using the device, the more i want to find out if there is an app/widget that does it.

I'm looking for a really cool weather app. So far what Samsung Note 4 came with was the Accuweather widget which i really like because it's accurate and shows me what percent chances are there to rain (since i live in the UK, this comes in handy). Is there any other app/widget with cool animations and sleek look which gives me these options?

Also i've seen on many other android devices, if you double tap the screen it wake up. So far i like the Air Wake but would be good to know if there was any other alternative to that

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I agree with Javier. Been using Nova since late 2011/early 2012. Never left.

Here is a guide for how to use Nova: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...299378-guide-nova-launcher-2.html#post4365033

Also, please consider getting the paid version (it doesn't have to be right away, either). Some of these developers put a lot of work into these apps, and giving them some cash is a nice way to say thank you.
Okay, glad this to know about this thread and the link! Thank you very much!

I've been slowly progressing/experimenting/exploring how to with this Launcher.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Nice, just what i was looking for. All what i hope for now is that this works :)

Truly you guys are awesome

I was on a train with bad connection so I missed most of the thread :) Glad you managed to fix that problem. Just a couple of things.

First. The Tesla Notifier only works with Nova Prime (the paid version).
Second (and more important). Welcome to the forums! Don't call yourself a noob. You are just a newbie that wants to learn new things. And that's good! Feel free to ask anything to need. This is the right place to do that.

This is the link for Screen Off.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=8CGltDZS

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
souls33k3r, I apologize about a missing post. It was in moderation, and there was an error while approving it (probably another Mod was approving it at the same time as me). It wound up deleted, and I have restored it.

souls33k3r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
No worries mate, you were a great help and thank you for welcoming me to the forum :)

I kinda got the hint that tesla notifier might only work with the paid version so i guess i will have to make due with the free version and no badges for now until i get the proper hang of it :)

Your screen lock is a life saver, truly. I am a skinhead but still was try to pull any hair left on me head finding a way to lock the screen ... lol.

Onwards and forwards, next mission is to find the weather app and hopefully touble tap or any tap to wake up the screen as mentioned 2 posts above ... i've started to wonder, why didn't i buy this Note 4 before ;)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The double tap is a tricky one. Some phones, like LG, come with this feature built in. For the rest there are no easy tricks to make it work. You can find some apps in the Play Store but many people say that they are a bit buggy and will use a lot of battery. I haven't use any of them.

souls33k3r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
The double tap is a tricky one. Some phones, like LG, come with this feature built in. For the rest there are no easy tricks to make it work. You can find some apps in the Play Store but many people say that they are a bit buggy and will use a lot of battery. I haven't use any of them.
Yeah that's where i got the idea of a double tap from. One of my friend has an LG phone and i was well jealous when he was able to unlock his phone by touble tapping it. Like i said, Air Wake works just fine for me (while the device is laying flat on a desk or something) but is very tricky or kind of never works when i'm out an about walking and even so don't want to look like a right ***** by waving my hands in the air only trying to unlock my device :)

Any other alternatives to unlocking the phone apart from Air Wake and Home/Power button? I just do not want to use any physical buttons :)