New to Note 4 and disappointed also with camera and video shot in portrait mode

RockAndRollAcdc

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I just got the note 4 yesterday. so far I'm liking how feels and looks. What I'm not liking is the photo and the video. There's been a problem for years when it comes to video's. If you record a video in portrait and then open it up through your desktop. The video will play in landscape. I was really hoping they fix this through the years. Now I notice the photo does the same thing. take in portrait and then view on your desktop. it will show in landscape very disappointed..

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There has been a big push over recent years for video to be shot in landscape. I didn't know that was happening to photos, that's kinda odd.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I have not noticed that with any of my photos, but I tend to take most shots in landscape mode anyway.

The Note 4 is developed with HD display in mind. Most monitors/HD TVs are going to display in a landscape view by default anyway.

Portrait shots are the less common format for wide screen viewing, not landscape.

The problem is not in how the phone is displaying the videos, it is in how you're framing your shots.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have not noticed the problem with pictures but I will have to experiment with it. Video should never be shot in portrait. That's why it turns it landscape. Your HDTV or your computer monitor isn't tall, it's wide. Why shoot a video in the opposite format? It's painful to watch a video shot in portrait mode.

Sent from my Note 4

RockAndRollAcdc

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys. I had a HTC Droid Dna before. With this phone the photos were good and the video's were screwed up. Heck I took a lot of portrait photos with that phone. I understand all the new monitor/HD TVs format. but, you should be able to take vid or pics in any orientation you want and then view on your computer or tv. If they didn't want pictures taken in portrait, they should disable that, right? but the wouldn't. I think it's still broke

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So I took a few photos in portrait and opened them on my computer. They are all in portrait on the computer as well. Landscape is in landscape and portrait is in portrait. I can't seem to replicate your issue. What are you using to open the photos?

Sent from my Note 4

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
The photos are fantastic but what I find annoying is the delay in focusing. I've lost great shots because of it.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
So I took a few photos in portrait and opened them on my computer. They are all in portrait on the computer as well. Landscape is in landscape and portrait is in portrait. I can't seem to replicate your issue. What are you using to open the photos?

Sent from my Note 4
Same experience here. Though I'm still learning my way on the SGN.IV.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Note 4

ditto

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have not had that problem with photos. The ones I take in portrait show up as such and same for landscape. Videos I always shoot in landscape as they do view better in that mode.

RockAndRollAcdc

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
well it looks like I can't post a link for now. anyways, this was done raw. no exporting programs. going to Computer/SAMSUNG " " "/phone/DCIM/camera/what ever portrait photo. This happens on no matter what computer I'm on

Pdarnall

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Click the Edit icon in the photo. You will have two options: Rotate Right and Rotate Left. I haven't tried it in a video.

Posted via the Android Central App

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you have auto rotate turned off and the camera opens in landscape, so it doesn't rotate to portrait.

As for the pictures on your computer, those are easy to rotate.

RockAndRollAcdc

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I guess this is more do with the fact that they rotate when you open them thru the computer. yes I know you can rotate them back. that's not the point. I notice last night that when I posted a bunch on Facebook they did not rotate, they were orientated correctly. For what good it's going to do. I'm going to call this one in.