Googled myself into confusion (Help!)

LumiaIcon

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
To keep this simple. I am on AT&T. I wish to purchase a Galaxy Note 4 and install CyanogenMod which I understand I cannot do on AT&T because the boot loader is locked. What model number or model numbers will accomplish this? Will I be able to get LTE speeds on AT&T or have any major compatibility issues? Or... is this simply not easily done?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the T-Mobile version is the only one rootable.

Now on xda with the S5 they did discover you could root KitKat and then use a specific way to update your rooted S5 to Lollipop.

Now in glancing, that might can be done with the Note 4 also. I want to say the user that discovered the way to do this is named chainfire, something like that. If you search at xda, you can find out if you can do this with the N4.

Any N4 you buy right now will still have KitKat out of the box, so if you can root the AT&T N4 and update to Lollipop the same way you can with the AT&T S5, then it won't be a problem for you to buy an AT&T one.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most people use the European model - the 910F. You won't have compatibility issues with 4G until AT&T does away with Band 17 - which won't be for a long time. No locked bootloader either. Whether CM12 will have issues with AT&T is another matter, and something I can't answer.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Any N4 you buy right now will still have KitKat out of the box, so if you can root the AT&T N4 and update to Lollipop the same way you can with the AT&T S5, then it won't be a problem for you to buy an AT&T one.
He's not asking about rooting, he's asking about flashing Cyanogen, which you can't do on an AT&T or Verizon Samsung. The bootloader has nothing to do with rooting.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
He's not asking about rooting, he's asking about flashing Cyanogen, which you can't do on an AT&T or Verizon Samsung. The bootloader has nothing to do with rooting.

The locked bootloader is why the AT&T can't be rooted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is a custom ROM is it not and don't you have to be rooted to flash a ROM?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge