How do I change the top color on the Note 4 messages?

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: ButtUglyColor

Such a weird restriction. Why do they have the design locked up?

They're going exactly against one of the main attractions and reasons of Android. I'd have thought 'material design' would have been easily customisable with its colours because of its simple design.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

ehstaley

May 8, 2011
Visit site

Textra seems to be the lightest running messenger app I have used. I was a longtime user of Hancent, then GoSMS, Chomp, etc. They all were nice several years ago, but updates through the years made them less desirable for me (heavy resources, lack of customization, ads). Anyhow, Textra recently requested a whole $1 to keep it ad free as a one time charge. Seeing as I have been using it for over a year, I didn't mind spending a dollar on a smooth running, low resource app. Good luck!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Textra seems to be the lightest running messenger app I have used. I was a longtime user of Hancent, then GoSMS, Chomp, etc. They all were nice several years ago, but updates through the years made them less desirable for me (heavy resources, lack of customization, ads). Anyhow, Textra recently requested a whole $1 to keep it ad free as a one time charge. Seeing as I have been using it for over a year, I didn't mind spending a dollar on a smooth running, low resource app. Good luck!

One thing that drives me nuts about messaging is group messaging. Most of the other people on my work group have iPhones, and they'll have a conversation that I don't even know all the recipients to reply to even if I cared to "reply to all". Does Textra do group messaging well over SMS/MMS?

ehstaley

May 8, 2011
Visit site

One thing that drives me nuts about messaging is group messaging. Most of the other people on my work group have iPhones, and they'll have a conversation that I don't even know all the recipients to reply to even if I cared to "reply to all". Does Textra do group messaging well over SMS/MMS?

Initially, it did not work well. One day I was looking through some of the settings and saw where all group messages could be sent through MMS to fix some users problems. I am assuming this fixed the problem, because no one has mentioned my group message fails since checking the box. The setting is on the main settings screen when entered from the conversation list screen. HTH!

roaduardo1

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site

They're going exactly against one of the main attractions and reasons of Android. I'd have thought 'material design' would have been easily customisable with its colours because of its simple design.

I don't get it. If there a fear of things not remaining reliable or something? Is it a brand issue? Like if they allow customizations people wouldn't notice it was a Samsung? Whatsapp does similar things with it's restrictions on customization. I got so bored that I installed the custom Plus app and it's been so much fun messaging on that.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

You still have the choice to use ANY messaging app as the default. Find one and use it. Each messaging app has it's own colors so pick one you like and use it.

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

You still have the choice to use ANY messaging app as the default. Find one and use it. Each messaging app has it's own colors so pick one you like and use it.
Yeah, I'm not so bothered myself, I don't mind the stock app, but can understand people wanting to be able to change things.

All I'm saying is that the way Material Design has been created, it should have been an easy option to select a color scheme, as its only really the headers that change color.

Not forgetting that Material design in chrome can change color depending kB the website. I.e. BBC News - red header. So I doubt its uniformity issues otherwise they wouldn't let certain chrome sites their own colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge