Dropped calls and crappy service?

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
My boyfriend has had a Note 4 since it's launch. He experiences completely stupid problems like dropped calls, getting text messages multiple times, or sometimes both not at all. He's done battery pulls, I've clear his cache for him, done factory resets, all of it. AT&T says it's probably because he is under coverage of two different towers where he uses his phone the most, but my s5 is fine at his house and he still has problems even in high coverage areas. He doesn't think that it's his phone but I beg to differ. So basically I know the answer is to get a new phone, but just wanted to validate how many other people have had issues with their Note 4's. Is this a widespread issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My boyfriend has had a Note 4 since it's launch. He experiences completely stupid problems like dropped calls, getting text messages multiple times, or sometimes both not at all. He's done battery pulls, I've clear his cache for him, done factory resets, all of it. AT&T says it's probably because he is under coverage of two different towers where he uses his phone the most, but my s5 is fine at his house and he still has problems even in high coverage areas. He doesn't think that it's his phone but I beg to differ. So basically I know the answer is to get a new phone, but just wanted to validate how many other people have had issues with their Note 4's. Is this a widespread issue?

If he is having the issue elsewhere, then it is probably the phone.

He can use the Marks the Spot app for AT&T and those reports go directly and immediately to engineering and to his account. It tells exactly where you are, what towers and other signal issues.

I was having the same problems a while back in a high coverage area, but only at home. The way the towers sit, there is just not good coverage on my street, but is on the streets around me.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I believe that your problem is with AT&T and not the phone but I could be wrong of course. I have the same problem with AT&T at my house but when I use T-Mobile at the same location, I have perfect service.

My Note 4 is unlocked so I was able to try both carriers on the same phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If the other phone working better, was not an LTE phone, then that could be the difference.

My NON-LTE phone got better signal than my LTE at home.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

If he's is in an area where the phone is constantly trying to hand back and forth between cells this could very well be the cause, especially after the foliage begins to bud on trees. Doesn't matter the carrier . Very low signal strength areas are more adversely affected by environmental conditions than stronger areas . There's a whole lot of "talking" between the cells and the phone, the phone is trying to kick on to the best signal, both of which are seamless at 70mph going down the interstate but when standing still are can be a BIG problem. I left Verizon for that very reason because no matter the phone I was stuck between 2 cells and constantly having problems.
That being said, some phones are affected worse than others so I agree with the above that in this case AT&T should attempt to replace his phone either with another Note4 or another model, especially since its happening in strong signal areas as well. That is definitely the phone. Have you tried power off the phone, pull the SIM card, power the phone on for at least a minute without the card, power down, put the card back, power back up? I didn't see it specially mentioned.
If they're like Verizon was with me, he'd be better off to just switch carriers to a better reception one . I fought a losing battle for years. It's a long story but to sum it up I spoke or wrote back and forth with many from the 611 reps all the way up the corporate ladder and it was a decision by a vice president way up the food chain that decided adding more signal to a city of only 14k residents wasn't cost effective, that letting us leave after they shut 3 cells down in the city was more profitable than upgrading them to current standards or adding a cell I the center of town. They lost about 7k+ customers, no biggie when you've got 91+ million.
That all being said, if he can recoup his money and there's a better signal with someone else he should switch carriers now rather than hassle with the big blue.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I basically tried everything under the sun. AT&T replaced his sim card, it worked for a while, then went back to s*** when Lollipop hit his phone.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Nope but probably will have the phone replaced next. I actually heard snippets of people saying the first ones were a bad batch.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Nope but probably will have the phone replaced next. I actually heard snippets of people saying the first ones were a bad batch.

Dealing with an actual network problem about 2 years ago, that is the first thing AT&T will have you do. They made me switch my phone a few times before investigating the network issue.

No one else was having the issue at my house, but I was the only one with an LTE phone. Unlike your boyfriend's phone, my issue was limited to my house. I could go 1 mile down the road and be fine. I am surrounded by 4 towers in a 2 mile radius, but my street sits in a "valley" and I was basically too low to get a good LTE signal.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think I know what to do. :) gotta love technology even at its worst

Sometimes you can get a bad one or an update can make it bad, even if no one else has the issue.

I bought mine 2.weeks ago and just a few days ago, it went to EDGE data and wouldn't connect to microcell. I had bought mine at Best Buy, they switched it out and the one I have now is doing much better and I'm getting amazing battery life with it.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think I know what to do. :) gotta love technology even at its worst
I agree. I always had rock solid craptacular reception with Verizon until a few years back. Craptacular numbers, but rock solid, is better than 1x of the old days on a dumbphone. Until they shut the cells down I could make a call that'd never drop and use 3g at slow speeds with never a drop at 0 bars (-100+dbm). It was when those numbers kept staying above -120 I had to end up leaving after 21 years. New phone, new SIM card, etc wasn't the solution for me unfortunately.
I agree with the above, get AT&T to try yet a 3rd SIM card for easy sake but still believe another phone is the solution. Hope they will do what needs to be done for ya.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't know that it adds anything to this discussion because the S5 works & the N4 doesn't, both on AT&T but in my area AT&T is upgrading their network to HD voice & it's causing dropped calls & the other party's voice to fade in/out frequently. AT&T tech support says it's a known issue & their engineers have to "calibrate" the new HD voice network.

Several years ago on an S3 I had incoming callers receiving an AT&T message that my number wasn't currently available. One of my clients told me it was the same message as when you don't pay your bill & your service is suspended as a result. I replaced the S3 & continued to have the problem, replaced the 2nd S3 w/ an HTC (which I hated) & continued to have the problem. After hours of setting up new phones/going to Costco to get them I finally determined it was a known AT&T network problem due to a Lucent (name of manufacturer) switch AT&T uses & both AT&T engineers & Lucent engineers were trying to solve the issue. Problem was that AT&T did not communicate this known issue to their 1st tier support so every time I called I got a different reason for the problem, none of them the correct one.

In the end I got a $450 bill credit but it still wasn't worth it for the time it took to resolve the issue, not to mention clients/potential clients not being able to call me. No way of knowing how much that may have cost.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s