Deep sleep problem

cvail

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
So, I've started to experience some battery drain and am wanting to troubleshoot. I have GSam and Better Battery Stats installed to figure out if I have a wake lock problem, but neither of the apps will tell me anything. I read on the BBS update that Google changed something in 4.4.4 that doesn't allow reading of the battery information without root - and I'm not rooted.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on another app or stolen to figure out what's keeping my phone awake? Option b is factory reset and slowly apps back until I figure out what's happening.

Posted via the Android Central App

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine rarely goes into deep sleep very often but the battery life is good overall. My biggest issue is that I worry it more when I constantly go in and check than when I just use the phone and charge when needed.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Watch Dog Lite will show you what's not sleeping by cpu usage, the reason why the battery drains in the background. I set an alert for things going above a threshold. Android System has been my culprit as of late, Tapatalk and something called "flinger" as well. They both rise above 40% on occasion while the phone is supposedly asleep.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Watch Dog Lite will show you what's not sleeping by cpu usage, the reason why the battery drains in the background. I set an alert for things going above a threshold. Android System has been my culprit as of late, Tapatalk and something called "flinger" as well. They both rise above 40% on occasion while the phone is supposedly asleep.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Does that require root?

cvail

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll try out watch dog. I'm not sure it will fix my issue though -I think I might need a wake lock detector, not just an app hog detector. I can see what apps are using battery with GSam and others.

gvlakers

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
You horrible network signal strength is the reason for the battery drain. The weaker the signal, the more power it takes to keep a connection to it.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same issue you've described except I have pretty good signal.

None of the apps mentioned will do anything that your stock battery stats doesn't already provide. All of these apps will only tell you that it's the Android System that's draining your battery, but you already know that from looking at your battery stats in the settings. I cannot figure out what is waking my phone all the time either. I know it has to do with the Android System but I don't know anything more than that. I tried a Factory Reset and that did nothing. I hoped the Lollipop update would fix it but it didn't.

Last edited:

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
You horrible network signal strength is the reason for the battery drain. The weaker the signal, the more power it takes to keep a connection to it.
While I was in an area with poor signal, I was also on wifi with mobile data switched off so that shouldn't be an issue as far as I recall. Overall, I get good battery life but it just annoys me that it wakes so much. Maybe I should stop looking at it. Haha

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Looked this morning when I woke up...

Yup your signal is causing yours.

Also, do you have wifi set to scan constantly?

Oh, you had wifi on, so that is why the bar was there. I thought that was while the phone should be sleeping.

A bad signal will drain your battery, your phone is constantly looking for a signal.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
GSAM Pro has a "Since Now" feature that can be accessed by clicking on the triangle at screen bottom. Might be a good experiment to set a Since Now, let the phone rest while you're sleeping, and then check stats upon waking. That should give a good snapshot view for what processes were active while the phone wasn't being used.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci