Long-term performance

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Mine started to lag. It is very noticable when swithing between apps, camera-gallery combination is impossible as well.
I do regularly cache clean, file cleanup, devi e restart etc etc.

Also antutu score deopped from 50k (got that score with kitkat and lollipop) to 42k.

Phone is still usable and faster than my previous devices though. But not as snappy as it was before.

Seams that factory reset is inevitable.

So no success story from me.

5deab01f7f73b3396ae610829ea0f5d0.jpg

Sent from my mobile device

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
When do you think the note 4 will get 5.1?

If it memory leak is an issue that Google can update directly without having to have Samsung and the carriers review it may happen soon. If it requires a complete OS version upgrade I don't see it ever happening. The M version of Android is being announced in a few weeks so Lollipop is effectively dead in the water IMO.
For me the real issue is the unsynchronized introduction of new phones and new Android versions. I really am tired of purchasing a new phone only to have it running an OS version that is already outdated at the time of purchase.

Mr-Guy

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Usually if you are experiencing slow downs it's because of an app, not the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you noticed that when going from an app to the home screen, the transition animation doesn't fully complete? And vice versa? Apart from that, no other major issues :)

I've noticed that on mine. I will go from an app to the home screen, and the app drawer symbol is there, but it takes about a second and half for my other folders and clock and things to appear. ESPECIALLY after i've been using the camera app. I could see that if my SD card sucked, but that's even with saving photos to internal memory, and my sd card is the Samsung Class 10 32GB Pro so that shouldn't be the problem.

My battery also has been wildly inconsistent. Some days when I leave work, I will have 86% battery and other days with the same or very similar usage (less than 30 mins screen on time) I have less than 65% remaining. The signal strength always is comparable in the stats but Google Play Services is just so random in how it interacts with my phone. That's even after a Factory Reset.

I still love this phone though. I can't believe i've already had it for 7 months.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
If it memory leak is an issue that Google can update directly without having to have Samsung and the carriers review it may happen soon. If it requires a complete OS version upgrade I don't see it ever happening. The M version of Android is being announced in a few weeks so Lollipop is effectively dead in the water IMO.
For me the real issue is the unsynchronized introduction of new phones and new Android versions. I really am tired of purchasing a new phone only to have it running an OS version that is already outdated at the time of purchase.

Well that's what 5.1 was supposed to fix. So I hope that Samsung and in my case, Verizon push the 5.1 update soon.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that on mine. I will go from an app to the home screen, and the app drawer symbol is there, but it takes about a second and half for my other folders and clock and things to appear. ESPECIALLY after i've been using the camera app. I could see that if my SD card sucked, but that's even with saving photos to internal memory, and my sd card is the Samsung Class 10 32GB Pro so that shouldn't be the problem.

My battery also has been wildly inconsistent. Some days when I leave work, I will have 86% battery and other days with the same or very similar usage (less than 30 mins screen on time) I have less than 65% remaining. The signal strength always is comparable in the stats but Google Play Services is just so random in how it interacts with my phone. That's even after a Factory Reset.

I still love this phone though. I can't believe i've already had it for 7 months.

My battery life is slowly decreasing. I'm getting a little less use per unit of percentage than even a month ago (still had lollipop) so I'm wondering what is causing this. Haven't changed my usage habits either.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
My only issue with the Note is the lag I am experiencing. The phone was amazing until the past 2 weeks the lag is becoming unbearable.

My keyboard hangs each time I open chrome. Google maps started having major drop is frame rate.

I am really debating leaving the note for the Nexus 6. I don't mind the hiccups here and there, but it's becoming borderline intolerable.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My only issue with the Note is the lag I am experiencing. The phone was amazing until the past 2 weeks the lag is becoming unbearable.

My keyboard hangs each time I open chrome. Google maps started having major drop is frame rate.

I am really debating leaving the note for the Nexus 6. I don't mind the hiccups here and there, but it's becoming borderline intolerable.

Mine doesn't lag at all. Try wiping the cache partition

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Camera app lags often. Going to the gallery from within the camera app also lags often. I do not have an sdcard installed, and I often delete photos after backing them up to cloud storages in hopes of getting rid of the lag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Performance is smooth. But... I get lag when trying to view image after taking a picture and multitasking lag... Other than that, good. But these are big issues for me. As well as battery life. I get about 3 hours sot... My partners sot on the Xperia Z ultra is about double. 😯

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't lag at all. Try wiping the cache partition

I did I cleared cach partition and did a factory data reset. I get major lag in the camera app when I take a picture, lag on multitasking button.

It's sad because this phone has absolutely ridiculous build quality and hardware. Debating going with the Nexus 6 or Htc one M9 just because of the lag. Sometimes from the lock screen I click on the notification to go straight to it it takes literally 5 seconds to open it, while my wifes Nexus 5 does it right away.

Still the same thing as older Samsung devices I have, they do not age well. Something about there software is badly optimized.

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Performance is smooth. But... I get lag when trying to view image after taking a picture and multitasking lag... Other than that, good. But these are big issues for me. As well as battery life. I get about 3 hours sot...

^^ Exactly the same ^^

Sent from my mobile device

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Performance is smooth. But... I get lag when trying to view image after taking a picture and multitasking lag... Other than that, good. But these are big issues for me. As well as battery life. I get about 3 hours sot... My partners sot on the Xperia Z ultra is about double. 😯

Same here. It's like a 4-5 second delay.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Well today I chatted with Samsung and they flat-out lied to me and said they had never heard of any of the issues I mentioned above and just recommended taking in the phone. So I'm just going to switch devices and return the note 4 if they'll let me. I'll try on Monday a nexus 6... Has anyone had any experience with it? Especially camera and battery life... Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084