blackberry style analogue clock bedside mode

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to mimic the blackberry bedside mode clock?

I've seen lots of posts and suggestions and tried loads of apps but nothing does the whole job.

I'd like a clean, simple analogue clock, white on black that comes on when you plug in the charger at night.
i don't need a digital clock, neon green, the weather, a torch or anything like that.

if you've had a blackberry you'll know what i mean. Although the note 4 is miles ahead i do miss this one function!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked the Daydream options? Sorry, I don't have a Note 4, so I can't check directly. But go to Settings>Display>Daydream, turn it on, and see if there is an analog clock option. You can set it to come on whenever the phone is plugged in.

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked the Daydream options? Sorry, I don't have a Note 4, so I can't check directly. But go to Settings>Display>Daydream, turn it on, and see if there is an analog clock option. You can set it to come on whenever the phone is plugged in.

I have looked. I've seen screenshots on other devices where there is a clock option but its not there on the note 4. one of the unsuitable apps has appeared in the list after i installed it but its... unsuitable.

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. yes i tried it but the free version doesn't have analogue. Paying for another app is a last resort for me - partly on principle because i think if bb can supply it so should samsung, instead of lots of gimmick you don't use - and partly because i've already spent a lot on apps ( around £60) to get it to do what i need and i have to draw the line somewhere. Hence the search goes on.

Also, there's no image on google play of the clock so theres a risk i'll pay on trust and be disappointed again.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Have you looked at Alarm Clock+ ?
Nice dock clock, tons of options for the alarm and other goodies.
Don't let it fool you that it hasn't been updated in quite a while. It's one of those few that remained bug free over the years of Android fragmentation .
There's a free version and paid (.99) to remove ads on the Play Store. Here's the free version
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=APPU_1_FaFtVavqOsSfsAX6xIHgBw&token=prSEgfMz

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Have you looked at Alarm Clock+ ?
Nice dock clock, tons of options for the alarm and other goodies.
Don't let it fool you that it hasn't been updated in quite a while. It's one of those few that remained bug free over the years of Android fragmentation .
There's a free version and paid (.99) to remove ads on the Play Store. Here's the free version
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=APPU_1_FaFtVavqOsSfsAX6xIHgBw&token=fhX_-305

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

I have tried it but can't find an analogue display.

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
tried those - close but not quite there. analogclock daydream is very customizable.

Here's what I'm looking for, although more round would be ok. If analogclock daydream could have lines instead of dots, and it didn't fade in and out, we'd be there.

blackberry-curve-clock.jpg

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I know that used to be the case but the technology is different now and you never hear of phones suffering from screen burn. Also, the BB one doesn't fade in and out or most of the android ones and they don't seem to cause a problem.

Unless you were joking, in which case I apologize for being humourless!

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I know that used to be the case but the technology is different now and you never hear of phones suffering from screen burn. Also, the BB one doesn't fade in and out or most of the android ones and they don't seem to cause a problem.

Personally, I would not use a clock that stays on all the time without it moving around or fading in and out.
I use the Daydream feature using Better Dashclock Widget and get a great digital clock that moves with a pendulum feature. (No analog option though.)

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Ammm... You're kidding right?
burn in already | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums
This is a phone from the same time

And
Note 4 screen burn-in | Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | XDA Forums

While it's not COMMON right now with the Note 4, it doesn't mean that it can't happen. But more likely than not leaving the SAME image on for 6-8 hours a day (err, night?) is more than doubling your SoT of dynamic images to one static one. I would seriously vote against a static alarm clock. You should get one that changes ever 30 seconds to 1 min.

Hey, I don't have burn in. You don't have burn in. Probably very few people have it. But all I'm saying is that 6-8 hours a day with the same image will def. test the burn in speed xD

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
It's not that i'm close-minded to the possibility of burn-in but, given the number of mobile phones in existence and the number of users who post faults when they arise, then the significant lack of screen burn issues suggest its not a problem.

I checked your links. The first is limited to one model, burns are reported after less than a week which is too soon for screen burn, the poll only shows 20% of posters think they see something and most identify it as a banding problem common to this model.

The second thread is someone who complained of burn after a few hours of playing a game. No manufacturer is going to get away with releasing a phone with a screen which burns after a few hours of one image being displayed - it would be widely reported - and must have been another kind of effect. And in fact, a couple of posts later they said it had gone.

So, I still remain to be convinced burn-in will be a problem and would prefer a static clock. I wouldn't mind if the image just shifted subtly by a few pixels but not coming or going or bouncing around all over the place!

cr500taco

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It's not that i'm close-minded to the possibility of burn-in but, given the number of mobile phones in existence and the number of users who post faults when they arise, then the significant lack of screen burn issues suggest its not a problem.

I checked your links. The first is limited to one model, burns are reported after less than a week which is too soon for screen burn, the poll only shows 20% of posters think they see something and most identify it as a banding problem common to this model.

The second thread is someone who complained of burn after a few hours of playing a game. No manufacturer is going to get away with releasing a phone with a screen which burns after a few hours of one image being displayed - it would be widely reported - and must have been another kind of effect. And in fact, a couple of posts later they said it had gone.

So, I still remain to be convinced burn-in will be a problem and would prefer a static clock. I wouldn't mind if the image just shifted subtly by a few pixels but not coming or going or bouncing around all over the place!

Did you ever find anything? I, too, have been wanting a BB style bedside mode with analog clock.

I have had clocks displaying on my phone's screens all night, on my BBs, S4 and S5. Never had a burn in issue on any of my phones

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
sadly, no.
The style is hard to find and when you do, the functionality is missing and vice versa. It might be easier to find if i paid a fee but i've paid for some in the past that you could.t fully preview and wasted my money so i won't do it now.

Do let me know if you find one?

andreirad

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I was a blackberry user until last month. I used the bedside mode alarm clock every night. I think this was the first thing i checked when i moved to htc and the closest I came to what blackberry was giving us is the paid "my alarm clock" app. First try the free version and after that if you like it you can buy the pro version without the adds.

Visit my BBM Channel - C000E96F6

Attachments

• 21353.jpg
    21353.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 15

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
thanks for this. I have tried it but the style is different and i dont think you can remove the text. This is the kind of thing i'm looking for but it could have numerals
small.jpg

dedhedAndy

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Your not gonna find the exact same thing BB had !!!
I just read through this thread and you are being too picky. Just pick one you like!

Posted via Galaxy Note 4

merlin7777777

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
If i was chasing rainbows i'd just let it go but it exists... on blackberry.... and i liked the style and the functionality worked for me so I don't think it's unreasonable to want the. same. After all, there are waaaaay more android apps than blackberry so it might happen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca