Lollipop Battery Problems Getting Worse

rjm_robin

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I installed the OTA AT&T update in April and was quite pleased that the battery drain issues were minimal and I wasn't having random reboots or WiFi issues.

Now, the battery life is a couple hours moderate use, the battery will drop suddenly from 20% to zero and reboot (or just shut down), and the WiFi in close range keeps going on and off constantly as do many background app processes. They keep stopping and going.

The weird thing is that this is only happening more recently. I could see a gradual development towards the problems. But out of the gate, it was, pretty good.

How soon till we get those Lollipop patches to the higher version numbers? This is getting annoying.

I like the new look and feel (the lock screen is ugly, but I had a replacement even before I updated). But it's not supported by the power management. We need the patches. Now.

When? Any temporary solutions? I keep my cache nice and clean.

rjm

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

Last edited:

rjm_robin

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
No. That can't be the only answer to everything, can it? I will clean the cache partition.

My phone now has a very complex setup; not a viable option.

rjm

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
No. That can't be the only answer to everything, can it? I will clean the cache partition.

rjm

It's not the only answer but generally cleans up most issues with Android phones if you are having problems after an upgrade.

Of you don't want to do a reset then it's a process of elimination by uninstalling apps one at a time to see which ones are causing problems.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

rjm_robin

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes, could be some newer apps, or more disturbing, old apps that were just optimized to material design for Lolipop! Two of those broke on the first day before they put out quick patches. So, I have to go through them.

You know, as for material design: it's nice - but if an app isn't broken, no need to "fix" it. One was completely recoded and I had to uninstall and reinstall because it couldn't even update. I lost a whole page of little handy widgets - that's how the app works: you press the widgets to make a record of something, and later look at the charts and graphs. And it all broke.

So, that makes sense. Go through each app. And maybe uninstall a bunch and then a fresh install of them.

rjm

Last edited:

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, could be some newer apps, or more disturbing, old apps that were just optimized to material design for Lolipop! Two of those broke on the first day before they put out quick patches. So, I have to go through them.

You know, as for material design: it's nice - but if an app isn't broken, no need to "fix" it. One was completely recoded and I had to uninstall and reinstall because it couldn't even update. I lost a whole page of little handy widgets - that's how the app works: you press the widgets to make a record of something, and later look at the charts and graphs. And it all broke.

So, that makes sense. Go through each app. And maybe uninstall a bunch and then a fresh install of them.

rjm

After i installed the OTA on mine i had some issues just like you i was hesitant on a factory reset also. Theres a multitude of ways to back up your complex set up. I backed up my countless customizations and after i restored mine it helped. Food for thought.

Sent from my Awesome Note Quatro

rjm_robin

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
After i installed the OTA on mine i had some issues just like you i was hesitant on a factory reset also. Theres a multitude of ways to back up your complex set up. I backed up my countless customizations and after i restored mine it helped. Food for thought.

How do you back up complicated customizations? The folders, the widgets, the screens . . .

I just wish it was more like a PC: you go right to the problem and fix it without troubling anything else. Ah well.

It's certainly an option. It would clear up a couple of earlier little things.

I will wait, though, till the patches come out. I am assuming the newer versions will settle it all down. It does seem to be taking a while, but that's not unusual.

And when they finally DO, I will be unlikely to be interested in "Marshmallow"!

rjm

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
How do you back up complicated customizations? The folders, the widgets, the screens . . .

I just wish it was more like a PC: you go right to the problem and fix it without troubling anything else. Ah well.

It's certainly an option. It would clear up a couple of earlier little things.

I will wait, though, till the patches come out. I am assuming the newer versions will settle it all down. It does seem to be taking a while, but that's not unusual.

And when they finally DO, I will be unlikely to be interested in "Marshmallow"!

rjm

It all depends on what your set up is. For me i use nova launcher instead of the touchwiz launcher. With nova it gives me the option to back up my home screens to my sd card. Once i reinstall nova launcher after a factory reset i can restore my screens for the nova settings.

rjm_robin

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Im not rooted either. Changing a home launcher doesn't require root.

I wasn't clear on that. I had only heard of that Yahoo app and "themes." You can replace TouchWiz without root?

I don't really mind TouchWiz in terms of usability, looks, etc. I just want it to all work as it should.

Others have spoken of disabling apps like Facebook, but I find the app handy. There was a time when that wasn't a problem. Messenger has been a nuisance, but I like the stickies. Fun is part of it, too. Lollipop was supposed to be fluid, elastic and fun. Battery drops aren't fun.

It's almost all to do with the battery: the reboots aren't "random"; they are sudden battery drops.

As for the WiFi, I should experiment with uninstalling an older WiFi app. Could be an incompatibility there.

rjm

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Have you downloaded google photos… it killes my battery it was baking up all the time

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

rjm

Some times a reset is necessary after a large update. Trying a reset is better than continuous battery issues.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Also, are you sure your battery doesn't need replacing?

Posted via the Android Central App

rjm_robin

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I might try a new main battery because I plan to carry extras over the summer anyway. If they perform better, I'll know the original is no longer any good. It does charge up fast with the fast charger, but it drops quickly.

I also need to wipe the cache partition again because that's a safe way to clean out problems. I did that a week or so prior to the update to Lollipop and it worked great for a long time. I think that really helped.

But the reports are so widespread that I think only the updated Lollipop versions will help. One is coming at the end of July, we hear. It's just a drag when you're out and about and have to worry about sudden battery drops.

Otherwise I have come to really like the new look and feel.

Thanks folks!

rjm

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

rjm

My first suggestion is to shut off auto update in play store. Never update an app that is working well for you. Many many times and update will ruin a perfectly good app saturating it with ads popups constant running in background etc.

Lucas Alexander

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Galaxy note 4 tmobile. In a span od seconds it goes form 39% battery to 5% then it's dead. It's awful! I have been a die hard galaxy fan since the galaxy s2 had them all to s4 then went to note 2 then 4. If the note 6 is sealed and unable to add an SD card I will not buy samsung products. I loved them for not being crapples but that's what their turning into. But back to the battery issue. HELP! Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-25-21-38-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-25-21-38-04.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 41

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hard reset sucks but is necessary. Not a cute but the best band aid available.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Galaxy note 4 tmobile. In a span od seconds it goes form 39% battery to 5% then it's dead. It's awful! I have been a die hard galaxy fan since the galaxy s2 had them all to s4 then went to note 2 then 4. If the note 6 is sealed and unable to add an SD card I will not buy samsung products. I loved them for not being crapples but that's what their turning into. But back to the battery issue. HELP! Lol

Your phone signal is one of your problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay