Why does my Galaxy Note 4 keep scanning wifi every 10 sec, WIFI Advanced, all boxes unchecked?

A

AC Question

galaxy note 4 keeps scanning wifi every 10 sec, WIFI Advanced, all boxes unchecked.

This started a few days ago. What could it be, all I find is recommendation to uncheck under WIFI advanced which I did. Is there something else I can try??

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: galaxy note 4 keeps scanning wifi every 10 sec, WIFI Advanced, all boxes unchecked.

This started a few days ago. What could it be, all I find is recommendation to uncheck under WIFI advanced which I did. Is there something else I can try??

Welcome to Android Central!

Did you recently do an update to your OS to Lollipop?

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: galaxy note 4 keeps scanning wifi every 10 sec, WIFI Advanced, all boxes unchecked.

In your settings go to more networks, then mobile networks, and then connection optimizer make sure everything is unchecked..... that should fix the problem

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Mine too... This must effect battery life adverly.
I have turned off all as suggested it still scans

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

My understanding is this: If you are on a wifi spot, it HAS to check constantly or you will lose your connection. Turn off wifi and see if it still scans. You can uncheck the option for it to search for other spots as you are out of your wifi home area.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Which location option are all of you using?

Also in advanced, you want to let WiFi turn off when the phone is asleep.

Also make sure you do not have a carrier smart WiFi app and turn off smart network switch at the top of the WiFi screen.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Also, when you are in the screen where it is showing the WiFi hotspots available, I don't care what your settings are, the phone WILL scan for new WiFi hotspots every 10 seconds. The whole point of that screen is to continuously scan and allow you to select a hotspot manually. So even if you have all of the automatic scanning options turned off, when you go into a screen that is specifically designed to scan for hotspots so you can choose one to connect to, it's going to scan for them.

I mention this only because it took me all too long to realize that this is not a defect - I was almost at the point of screaming frustration begging my phone to please stop scanning for WiFi access points - then I realized that it was simply trying to list the ones available for me because I was in what doubled for the "manual connection" screen.

Last edited:

tegmapat

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Mine is doing this too, and when it scans, I cannot use my tablet.... it won't connect to anything online. What can I do? I don't find the "more networks" on my tablet settings page. I'm beginning to think my Note 10.1 is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. I have problems with it, constantly!

junkaholic

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site

Please listen to Natehoy. It's not a bug or battery zapper. It's as designed.

frayedknt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

see issue with this scanning for wifi is it stopping me from using my phone as a wifi hotspot to scan for some wifi i will never connect to i have 60 gigs of net a month i DO NOT want to ever not even for a second connect to any wifi i have no use for free wifi i pay enough i want to only use my network but this stupid phone dont seem to care what i the person who paid for it wants. Is there a way to to remove this scan crap function forever from my phone if so i would love to know it or my only option will be to take a hammer to this phone buy a air card an the dumbest flip phone i can find to get my stuff to do what i want it to do

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

see issue with this scanning for wifi is it stopping me from using my phone as a wifi hotspot to scan for some wifi i will never connect to i have 60 gigs of net a month i DO NOT want to ever not even for a second connect to any wifi i have no use for free wifi i pay enough i want to only use my network but this stupid phone dont seem to care what i the person who paid for it wants. Is there a way to to remove this scan crap function forever from my phone if so i would love to know it or my only option will be to take a hammer to this phone buy a air card an the dumbest flip phone i can find to get my stuff to do what i want it to do
I'm guessing you've tried turning WiFi completely off since you never want it?
Welcome to Android Central!

Did you recently do an update to your OS to Lollipop?

Jims S5

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site

Doesn't it only scan when on that 1 screen only?

frayedknt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

i've turned it off an set to never scan for wifi but it seems all these apps can override my settings an go ahead an scan even with it set up that way ive tried removing as many as i can but some you just cannot remove an yes it updated a few months ago to whatever the newest one is but has done this since day one.

frayedknt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

its scanning stops an lags my net for a moment an if your in a game that means you get dropped from server but i suppose ill just need to throw this $700 pos in the trash an buy a flip phone "if it drools its perfect" an a air card an skip these idiotic smart phones of which i have no control over

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Read my original post

loito

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Hi Wess580,
I do not see "connection optimizer" in mobile networks. I have note 4, it started scanning when I replace Fios 100/100 and Asus5300 yesterday. I am not sure because wifi network or phone. It drain out battery very quick.

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

What version of Android are you on
And what carrier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax