SD Card freezes Note 4

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
My Note 4 has been freezing and I have determined that it is my 64gb SD card.

However, I formatted several times, and the freezing persists if I have the SD card in the phone.

To note: I have downloaded my entire Google Play Music collection (about 5,500 songs) to the phones SD card. Perhaps this is a problem? I can't imagine that having mp3s on an SD card would cause the device to freeze...I mean thats what its made for.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What brand is the SD, and where did you get it? If it's a no-name brand, of if you got it through some little-known seller on eBay or similar site, then there's a chance it's counterfeit (which could cause various problems). Try formatting it again, then insert it into the phone and run SD Insight to see if it's what it says it is.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
OP, it sounds like you just need to find the right brand/size card for your phone and your issues will be solved.
On a side note, this is the reason Samsung is going away from expandable storage. These types of issues won't exist. Although correctable, many people will not realize this and take their phones into their carrier and just go to a different brand in the future.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

However, I formatted several times, and the freezing persists if I have the SD card in the phone.

To note: I have downloaded my entire Google Play Music collection (about 5,500 songs) to the phones SD card. Perhaps this is a problem? I can't imagine that having mp3s on an SD card would cause the device to freeze...I mean thats what its made for.

If you dump 5k media files onto the card in one shot it's surely possible for the media scan service to run for a while as it indexes them all. Sometimes it takes time to settle down. How long after placing the files onto the card did you wait before troubleshooting the slowdown?

Or....does the device exhibit the same behavior with the card freshly formatted with nothing on it too? Obviously this would point to a potentially bad card.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the others. You either have a bad card or indexing is working and with the amount of data you have it will take a long long long time. The speed of the card is also an issue when indexing, especially a very large data import at one time.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

This is a bad card and not a Note 4 problem. I would recommend you contact the manufacture of the SD card and see if you can get it replaced under warranty.

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What brand is the SD, and where did you get it? If it's a no-name brand, of if you got it through some little-known seller on eBay or similar site, then there's a chance it's counterfeit (which could cause various problems). Try formatting it again, then insert it into the phone and run SD Insight to see if it's what it says it is.

64 gb San Disk Ultra from Amazon. It worked fine with my S4!

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memor...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4504748

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If you dump 5k media files onto the card in one shot it's surely possible for the media scan service to run for a while as it indexes them all. Sometimes it takes time to settle down. How long after placing the files onto the card did you wait before troubleshooting the slowdown?

Or....does the device exhibit the same behavior with the card freshly formatted with nothing on it too? Obviously this would point to a potentially bad card.

It happened about a week after I dumped all these files.

It keeps happening, still about a month after it started. Especially if the phone is charging and the screen is off.

Again I would like to say that this card worked great for 2 years with my Galaxy S4.

I will try it without any files on the card, completely formatted.

I want to give the phone a whole week sans SD card to determine it is indeed the problem.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The card worked great for 2 years in my galaxy s4

Samsung memory division says that a SS memory card over three years old is very likely to fail. Additionallly, in my experience switching a used microSD card from an older phone to a newer phone can cause the microSD card to fail when the new phone tries to index the old card with data or an old card with newly loaded data.
Simply try a new card and only load a few megs of data and see if that works. If so, it was the card that failed not the phone or software.

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Cards do wear out. A poster above mentioned 3 years but I don't see any proof, it's all based on use, not age. I would take the card out and put it into a PC and run various card tests. More than likely it will fail a read/write test of all the sectors I would guess.

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I think its Google Music guys.

I ran the card for 3 days without letting Google Music download to it. No issues.

Let Google Music download my whole music collection: freezes.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
It keeps happening, still about a month after it started. Especially if the phone is charging and the screen is off.

I doubt that it's Google Music in particular causing this. I think it's the fact that you have 5,000+ files. What makes me think this is by what you said above,
"Especially if the phone is charging and the screen is off."

This is when the indexing service runs - when the screen is off AND when the phone is charging.

Turn the screen on or unplug from the charger and I bet that the indexing service stops.

Also, I had issues with an SD card that would lock up my phone for several minutes when ever I started the camera app. Sometimes I had to pull the battery.

I discovered that when I pulled the SD card out, the phone and camera worked great. Put it back in, the phone would randomly freeze up when I'd launch the camera app.

Several people have said in this thread that it's the SD card. I agree with them. Get a new one.

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that it's Google Music in particular causing this. I think it's the fact that you have 5,000+ files. What makes me think this is by what you said above,
"Especially if the phone is charging and the screen is off."

This is when the indexing service runs - when the screen is off AND when the phone is charging.

Turn the screen on or unplug from the charger and I bet that the indexing service stops.

Also, I had issues with an SD card that would lock up my phone for several minutes when ever I started the camera app. Sometimes I had to pull the battery.

I discovered that when I pulled the SD card out, the phone and camera worked great. Put it back in, the phone would randomly freeze up when I'd launch the camera app.

Several people have said in this thread that it's the SD card. I agree with them. Get a new one.

Wait... so you are saying the issue is the indexing service... but I should get a new SD card?

How will a new card fix the indexing service having an issue with 5,500 files?

Would the indexing ever stop?

Like, is it frozen when the indexing is happening or is the indexing still running but taking up 100% cpu, and I should just let it sit and index for say a day and let it work itself out.

Im ok with not having my phone for a day if it will fix this issue.

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have set a Tasker so that upon screen off and charging, cpu is set to lock to performance max 1300mhz and min 1300mhz.

So far no freezing.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Cards do wear out. A poster above mentioned 3 years but I don't see any proof, it's all based on use, not age. I would take the card out and put it into a PC and run various card tests. More than likely it will fail a read/write test of all the sectors I would guess.

I believe that the Samsung 3 years time frame I read somewhere on a Samsung official website is based on average number times the average user read/writes to an SSD memory card. Another words a simple calendar guide line for users to remember for SD card replacement before "stuff" happens. So yes, it is based on useage not dates but it is hard for the average user to monitor read/write counts and easy to mark a calendar. ;)

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
ARGH. I have just started having issues with my Note 4, and thought it was an SD card issue. I came here to do some searching..took the sd card out. Factory Reset in recovery and I'm STILL having the freezing issues. I had NO apps installed, or updated - then I decided to add an app to update (one that is native to the phone) at a time. I updated apps that were stable before I started having problems (about a week ago) and that their last updates were well before that. I did get the small lollipop update but my phone was stable for many days (even a week or two?) after. I have no idea what to do, the phone is barely usable. And without any apps, for fear of updating or adding any, it's useless to me. Help?

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to say that I have my own thread about SD cards with the Note 4 (or Android in general).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...sorry-if-s-been-asked-before.html#post4520338

Either it's 100% completely random as to who has bad luck and who doesn't with the same phone and same cards, or Android phones just don't work well with SD cards in. I know with 100% certainty that I'd have the same issues if I went out and bought a brand new SD card. And if my SD card IS in fact the issue, then that means no SD card lasts more than a year. Which makes it a horrible technology. Bah. This is so annoying, especially when there's these people that swear by them.

Aspi914

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to the conversation, I decided NOT to buy the Note 5 due to the lack of expandable storage (i.e. SD Card). So, recently upgraded the Note 3 to a 4 and brought two (2) 128GB SD cards [Both SanDisk Ultra MicroSD XC] - one for the Note 4 and one for my Note 8 (released 2013).

The first 128GB SD Card (Let's call it SD Card A) went into the Note 4 and the phone started to freeze, would not recognize the cards, and after formatting using SDFormatter would allow files to be added to it via my desktop, but not allow files or folders to be added to it via the phone. The 2nd 128GB SD Card (SD Card B) went into the Note 8, a device which is well over two years old, and worked a treat.

Reading many blogs I deceided to swap the cards thinking I had a faulty card. So took SD Card B out of the Note 8, formatted, and inserted into the Galaxy Note 4. Took SD Card A out of the Note 4, formatted, and inserted into the Galaxy Note 8. Exactly the same results - Note 4 froze, Note 8 worked a dream.

Had my old 64GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSD XC SD card from Galaxy Note 8. Formatted that and inserted it into my Note 4 - works a dream. No issues and fully loaded with music from both my library and Google Play. Clearly there is a conflict between the Galaxy Note 4 and "some" SD cards - but mine is different to the above as the 64GB I have no problems where the 128GB is a disaster - again, all are the same brand and series just different sizes.

Go figure

Aspi914

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36