Gear vr setup process starts by itself

slowmomomo

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I have a note 4 and today suddenly the gear vr setup process gets triggered. Please see the screenshots. There is also a voice. I do not want to go through the setup as I'm not interested in the gear vr. Sometimes it also ends on a black screen with an "x", but I cannot close it. So I had to take the battery out.
I did not download anything related to gear vr.
Please help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-20-21-43-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-20-21-43-35.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 296
  • Screenshot_2015-06-20-21-45-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-20-21-45-25.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 292

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
That's very odd. I have Gear VR and I thought the only way to get the Gear VR setup was with the SD card that comes with Gear VR.

The black screen is what I normally see when I remove my phone from the Gear VR headset before exiting an app properly. It usually only stays on the black screen for a couple seconds then shows my home screen.

I'd recommend going to the Application Manager in Settings and see if you have any Gear VR apps as shown in the picture. Then delete them.

Attachments

• 1434829691716.jpg
    1434829691716.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 120

slowmomomo

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I looked in the application manager. There is a gear vr setup wizard in the "downloaded" section. I just deleted it. I also have 3 gear vr items in the "all" section. I can force stop them, but the option to turn them off is greyed out. I force stopped all 3.. Let's see if the problem persists.

Attachments

• 2015-06-20 22.57.34.jpg
    2015-06-20 22.57.34.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_2015-06-20-22-56-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-20-22-56-25.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 238

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I looked in the application manager. There is a gear vr setup wizard in the "downloaded" section. I just deleted it. I also have 3 gear vr items in the "all" section. I can force stop them, but the option to turn them off is greyed out. I force stopped all 3.. Let's see if the problem persists.

You're welcome. Another option is to just get Gear VR. It's awesome!

Just kidding. I know you said you didn't want it.

Paul Batkin

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had exactly the same problem. Removed all the set up and installed Gear VR files and force stopped the processes but it still persists after a time. It's pretty invasive.

euanmcd4242

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I was just wondering if anybody had found a fix for this? I'm guessing it's an issue with the USB port thinking a VR headset has been attached, really don't want to have to send my phone away for a replacement!
thanks

pjmezz13

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue with my S6, but also was having issues where my phone would simply not charge through the USB port. I took the phone to a Samsung 'flagship' store in NYC which had a repair shop in it as well. After looking at the charging port with a magnifying glass the woman at the counter told me that my port was bad. She said this was most likely caused by using a cheap micro USB cable. I left the phone there for a few hours, they ended up replacing the small board that the usb port is connected to, the battery, and the screen. At this point I decided to buy the wireless charging mat to be safe. (its actually a nice $30 investment) Problem however is that there are times when I need to use a micro USB cable to charge the device while I'm out or away from home etc. After about a month with only 2-3 regular charges through the charging port, all the above issues began to happen again. As of now my ability to charge via USB is hit or miss, and the VR setup screen usually appears after I've attempted to charge the phone through my usb cable.

I'd love to see something posted about this on Drippler if others are experiencing the same thing. :cool:

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The issue just seemed to go away for me, after several days.
Just in case though, I disabled all of the GearVR packages using the app Package Disabler from the Google Play Store.

badfishchris

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Samsung s6 every once and a while when plugged into a charger. I saw on another thread that it was fixed by cleaning the micro USB port. That makes sense since the headset it thinks is being plugged in probably has an extra pin or connector somewhere that is being falsely interpreted by dust or something. I will try that and if you don't hear back it worked.

pjmezz13

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Another observation surrounding the charging issues. My phone will (slow) charge when I connect the micro usb cable to a computer or other USB enabled device. However, if I take that same cord (even without unplugging it from the phone) and connect it to the original wall charger, the phone will not charge. Once I remove the cable from the phone and attach it to the wireless charging puck, the phone begins charging again.

viperign

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
This just happened to me, but now my phone is stuck on the black screen. No matter what i do including pulling my battery the phone reboots to black screen. Buttons disabled, touchscreen disabled. Phone is useless. I dont own an oculuos, i didnt install gear vr, it did it all by itself. Im super pissed!

Jerry Myres

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I have no idea where it might have came from, but What I did and seems to be working is I went into my files and deleted everything there. Also in the download folder there was an apk there too that I had to delete. phone seems to be okay. The charger is still clicking on and off if I use the OEM cord which is weird. The problem started today out of no where.

levi856

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I have no idea where it might have came from, but What I did and seems to be working is I went into my files and deleted everything there. Also in the download folder there was an apk there too that I had to delete. phone seems to be okay. The charger is still clicking on and off if I use the OEM cord which is weird. The problem started today out of no where.

Same exact problem with my note 5. I'm at work right now and tried plugging my phone in with an older charger in my office which has worked before. Just plugged in a different charger and my phone is charging fine.
If anyone can find the source of the vr app please let me know.

Wendy Conley

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
So I had this problem as well. I started my phone in Safe Mode and started deleting apps until it didn't do it anymore. Seems to be working so far.