What apps support Multi Window Drag and Drop?

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I've found only one combination - photos from gallery to Sammsung email app.

Any other supported apps? I assume stock browser.. But.. Chrome is better.

Anything else?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I've found only one combination - photos from gallery to Sammsung email app.

Any other supported apps? I assume stock browser.. But.. Chrome is better.

Anything else?

Here is one method of finding such apps. Open programs you are interested in and close them. Then Click on the menu button and scroll through the program cards. Any app having a split box on the right side of the title bar can be used in multi-window mode. Those with a solid box can't.

Mannikon

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I sometimes drag and drop URLs from Chrome to a Whatsapp message but I find it quicker to switch to recent apps and copy and paste or use the pen and smart select so I don't use multi-windows much except when I'm watching TV and conversing with someone by message.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is one method of finding such apps. Open programs you are interested in and close them. Then Click on the menu button and scroll through the program cards. Any app having a split box on the right side of the title bar can be used in multi-window mode. Those with a solid box can't.
That is an awesome tip! I just tried it.....Thanks

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
My question was about Drag n Drop :)

Multi Window not necessarly mean that both apps will allow drag and drop of content.

For instance I can drag photos to Samsung email app but can't drag to Gmail app.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My question was about Drag n Drop :)

Multi Window not necessarly mean that both apps will allow drag and drop of content.

For instance I can drag photos to Samsung email app but can't drag to Gmail app.

Well if the app can't be used in a multi-window it will not drag n drop. And except for Google Keep there are very few if any Google apps that will work in a multi-window. I am curious, how can one drag n drop from one open app to another if you don't have at least 2 windows open simultaneously? Copying to the clipboard works with coping from one full window app to another full window app. So I guess I am not clear on what you mean by drag n drop.

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Well if the app can't be used in a multi-window it will not drag n drop. And except for Google Keep there are very few if any Google apps that will work in a multi-window. I am curious, how can one drag n drop from one open app to another if you don't have at least 2 windows open simultaneously? Copying to the clipboard works with coping from one full window app to another full window app. So I guess I am not clear on what you mean by drag n drop.

I'll try to explain myself.

Many apps support multi-window (we can see multi-window icons on the right upper corners when we tap on recent apps).
But not all of those apps support drag and drop when two of those apps are opened on the screen side by side.

See my example: Samsung Gallery at the top and Gmail compose new email at the bottom. I dragged image from Gallery to Gmail and got message - "not supported" at the bottom.

So my question was - how do I know a list of all apps which support drag and drop.

rTOaYDV.png

kami8586

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I'll try to explain myself.

Many apps support multi-window (we can see multi-window icons on the right upper corners when we tap on recent apps).
But not all of those apps support drag and drop when two of those apps are opened on the screen side by side.

See my example: Samsung Gallery at the top and Gmail compose new email at the bottom. I dragged image from Gallery to Gmail and got message - "not supported" at the bottom.

So my question was - how do I know a list of all apps which support drag and drop.

http://i.imgur.com/rTOaYDV.png

I understand what you mean. I'm also with him, as I've never really found a fine purpose to use this feature, or how it could come in handy and useful?

Posted via the Android Central App

BCTechnician

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I want to drag and drop a pic from gallery to a forum using chrome and standard browse using multi window. Both say not supported.
Either I'm doing something wrong or multi window drag and drop is pretty lame if it wont let you do so. Its a pretty basic task im trying to do....
Anyone shine some light?
Cheers

Posted via the Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I want to drag and drop a pic from gallery to a forum using chrome and standard browse using multi window. Both say not supported. Either I'm doing something wrong or multi window drag and drop is pretty lame if it wont let you do so. Its a pretty basic task im trying to do.... Anyone shine some light?

Well I can't even do that in the Chrome desktop browser on my Mac so I don't see why one would consider it lame that it can't be done on multiwindow on a Note 4.

The unfortunate reality is that the implementation of multiwindow support is largely done using Samsung's own programming and not entirely based upon stock Android APIs. Given that fact, it shouldn't be a surprise that applications based upon standard Android development kits aren't going to support the custom functionality found on select Samsung devices. If we want to blame anyone we should be blaming Google for their lack of vision or for not taking Samsung's cue and putting more focus into true multitasking before Apple stepped into the ring with their own implementation.

For me I can't stand working on multiple windows on my Note 4. Simply not enough space, but that's because whenever I want to do two windows quite often an on screen keyboard is also involved. During those times that all i want is copy and paste functionality though yes I wish for it for sure. The fact that multiwindow in a form as robust as Samsung's implementation (which still could use some work) isn't something native to Android is really disappointing when it comes to tablets though. I suppose that shouldn't come as a huge surprise though since Google didn't really seem to put much effort into developing features for the Nexus 7, 9 and 10 that differentiated themselves from phones.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke