How do I transfer photos from an external camera to a Note 4?

Karl-Theodor

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Transfer photos from external camera to note 4

Maybe this so easy that it never came up: Going on a trip with a camera, my idea is to not take a tablet but the note 4 with me as picture control unit (note 4 display is significantly larger than the camera display) as well as a backup for the camera card. So what I would like to do is take the camera card plug it into a card reader / usb 2.0 Adapter and load the photos onto the note 4.
I prefer to do it that way vs WLAN due to size of Files (many RAW files) and speed of Transfer.

Will that work and what additional Drives / apps would I need. Camera in use is Nikon 610 and Sony Nex 6 but I don't think that matters.

Thanks!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Transfer photos from external camera to note 4

This might not be the answer you're looking for since you're asking about a card reader, but what I do is just use an OTG cable and connect my camera via USB. My Note 4 recognizes my camera and can import the photos directly to the phone. No third party app required. I have an older Canon G11, so using an OTG cable should work on any camera newer than mine. Worth a try. Camera photos are imported to the phone's memory into an "imported" folder created in your gallery. There might be a way to change the import location to the SD card, but I really haven't looked into it.
Other than that, you can find quite a few card readers on ebay and amazon that will work with the Note 4. Since I just import over OTG, I've not tried any of those adapters.

Karl-Theodor

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

Thanks guys! I was 99% confident that it will work straight forwardly but as I had not bought the note 4 yet to try and that capability being really importent to me, I wanted to be on the save side. Thanks again!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Actually... I might have left you with a little false impression. While the Note 4 can import jpeg files, it can't import raws... at least not from my G11.

You may have to go the route of card reader if you plan to shoot raws.

Sorry about that!

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

If your camera has Wi-Fi capability a Wi-Fi card works great. I've got a Transcend card in my camera and free Transcend companion app on my phone and the photos upload from the camera to my phone. My camera, Pentax X5, doesn't have raw capability but I know the app is capable of receiving raw format files. I can also upload the photos from the camera directly to the cloud, using my data network, via the app on the phone for an extra backup.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Karl-Theodor

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your follow-ups. OTG cable or card reader doesn't matter. I prefer to shoot in raw, so I will need some app like transcend and that is fine. I am fully aware of all the wireless options and I have been using them at home with my iphone (!) which I killed on the last trip. As the note 4 (and the 6) have the USB 2.0 (and the 4 a backup-battery capability as well), I consider switching to Android. When I am on a hiking trip, weight and space counts, thats why I stay away from the tablet in that situation. Additionally, I may have no network and the local wireless options might be too slow and suck too much battery capacity (no recharge for 2 or 3 days…) depending on how many RAWs (each has approx. 36MB) I shoot on a given day.
Anyway, thanks to your help, I now have confirmation on the basic capability of the the note 4. It is a simple functionality but it is amazing how rare the information is in the web. Probably because very few people go hiking these days ?????? or it appears too simple to have any doubt-. Appreciate!

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your follow-ups. OTG cable or card reader doesn't matter. I prefer to shoot in raw, so I will need some app like transcend and that is fine. I am fully aware of all the wireless options and I have been using them at home with my iphone (!) which I killed on the last trip. As the note 4 (and the 6) have the USB 2.0 (and the 4 a backup-battery capability as well), I consider switching to Android. When I am on a hiking trip, weight and space counts, thats why I stay away from the tablet in that situation. Additionally, I may have no network and the local wireless options might be too slow and suck too much battery capacity (no recharge for 2 or 3 days…) depending on how many RAWs (each has approx. 36MB) I shoot on a given day.
Anyway, thanks to your help, I now have confirmation on the basic capability of the the note 4. It is a simple functionality but it is amazing how rare the information is in the web. Probably because very few people go hiking these days 😛 or it appears too simple to have any doubt-. Appreciate!
For hiking I plug my phone into a 3 panel solar charger that hangs comfortably from my pack as needed. It's 2 amp,9 watt so it charges pretty fast in sunlight and trickle charges in the deep woods

Support Our Troops !!!
<
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

For hiking I plug my phone into a solar charger that hangs comfortably from my pack as needed. It's 2 amp,9 watt so it charges pretty fast in sunlight and trickle charges in the deep woods

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

What charger are you using?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith