Is the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 a good phone and better than the iPhone 6?

sharonharvey2

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Is the Samsung galaxy Note 4 a good phone and better than the iphone 6 -

Hello

I know this is an android forum...but a few weeks ago, I had the choice of an iphone 6 or Note 4....I gave the Note 4 a test run, but given I have been an iphone 4 user for a few years, I got totally lost with the Note in the amount of time I had to get used to it (One week)

Can anyone answer me a few questions please>

For instance, which is the best between the two phones, or is it a personal preference?

I liked the note, purely for the S pen app and what it could do for you, although i did get a little stuck with some of its features and didnt find any solutions till after the time period I had got with it had passed.

For instance...i note (Pardon the pun!) with the iphone its purely the apple app store you get your stuff from...but with Note 4 I noticed the samsung app store but then stumbled across the Google play where I noticed I could download goods from too.

Another thing that confused me was you went into a file..but then you could then go into another file for something and so on..

Also the fact that you can't put much on the main page unlike the iphone..,

I also note that you can only have 500mb on the phone unlike the iphone 6....can you get the same amount for the note?

Any help in understanding this phone would be appreciated....

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is the Samsung galaxy Note 4 a good phone and better than the iphone 6 -

For instance, which is the best between the two phones, or is it a personal preference?
Equivalent phone for equivalent phone (IOW, not comparing a Note 4 with an iPhone 4S), an iPhone has better battery life and any iPhone has iMessage (which is proprietary, and Apple won't let anyone else use the protocol). Otherwise, it's pretty much a personal choice (like my choice to never deal with Apple after what they did to us developers when they switched to the Power PC and made all our software useless - after promising to "never" break it. I guess I blinked when "never" came to an end and I missed it).

I liked the note, purely for the S pen app and what it could do for you, although i did get a little stuck with some of its features and didnt find any solutions till after the time period I had got with it had passed.
That's one of the two reasons I bought a Note - the pen. It's a LOT easier than using my fat fingers. (I'm not of the "two thumbs at 60wpm" generation.)

For instance...i note (Pardon the pun!) with the iphone its purely the apple app store you get your stuff from...but with Note 4 I noticed the samsung app store but then stumbled across the Google play where I noticed I could download goods from too.
Amazon app store too. And a couple of other trusted sources, and lots of "maybe good, maybe full of viruses" sources. Apple fully controls everything - the hardware, the firmware, apps, what carriers can do to the phones, etc. The Android system is more open. People write different firmware for a phone, anyone can write and distribute an app (which is both good and bad - good because there are a lot of good apps out there that Apple wouldn't allow, bad because for every good app there are 100 that barely function, and not the way they're supposed to).

Another thing that confused me was you went into a file..but then you could then go into another file for something and so on.
That's computers, not Apple or Samsung. A folder is not a file. You can go into a folder, then into another folder in it, then another folder in it, then pick a file. Also you can "go into" a compressed file (zip, rar, apk) and pick a file or folder in it. All computers have something like that (even though IBM, in its "big iron" [AS400 and the older mainframes] calls them by different names, like libraries, etc.)

But you can have 10 "main pages" on Android. And a few quick access apps in the dock at the bottom and more than one dock (they slide across so you can have quick access to 15 or 20 apps there alone).

I also note that you can only have 500mb on the phone unlike the iphone 6....can you get the same amount for the note?
500mb where? The Note 4 can hold 32GB internally and (at this time) up to 128GB on an external SD card (that's the largest reasonable one made so far, although someone has come out with a 200GB card for about $1,000 - I'd rather buy 2 128GB cards for under $200 for both.) And you can carry a whole little case full of cards in a shirt pocket, so unless you have a 24 hour video you want to watch without switching cards, the amount of data storage is limited only by your wallet.

Ask anything else you don't understand.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Hello

I know this is an android forum...but a few weeks ago, I had the choice of an iphone 6 or Note 4....I gave the Note 4 a test run, but given I have been an iphone 4 user for a few years, I got totally lost with the Note in the amount of time I had to get used to it (One week)

Can anyone answer me a few questions please>

Another thing that confused me was you went into a file..but then you could then go into another file for something and so on..

I had a Note 4, then switched to a Iphone 6+ and now I ordered a Note 4 again. I am done with Apple. This phone has been pretty laggy, and things just stop working where I have to reboot. Even closing the APP doesn't fix it. The iPhone is not a better phone period.

Just as a history, I have had a iPhone 3GS, 4, 4+, 5, 5S, and 6+.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

To answer the questions in the title of your thread. Yes and yes.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

My brother, who started with Android but switched to iphone a number of years ago finally switched back to Android last fall. He has the S5, which has been buggy as heck for him since Lollipop. He has been eyeing the Note, though his Edge up is not available until November; thus hoping for the Note 5. However, he is so frustrated with his S5 that he is thinking of going back to iphone ... ugh. I am hoping he does not switch back. So many people are switching to iPhone. I guess that is good for Android users because Google and the manufacturers are going to have to work harder on improved software. That said, I always know how to fix my buggy software. Some people just don't want to make the effort ... which makes iPhone a perfect fit for some.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I believe you have hit the nail on the head without knowing it. The iPhone works one way, Apple's way or the highway. Android phones work any way you, or your grandmother, or the manufacturer want it to. The choice of which is yours alone. But with freedom of choice comes the responsibility to learn how to choose.

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

Hello

Being a former iPhone user and a genuine fan of Apple products, I'd say that the Note 4 (and other Android phones to lesser degrees) is better than iPhone because the Note simply does more. It has more functions and functionality.

But you're also talking about 2 different platforms (iOS vs Android) and there are very legitimate differences in the way the phones function.

You can do more with a Note than an iPhone, but iOS is a far more stable and efficient operating system. Android is more open and therefore, more glitchy.

iPhone is very safe and easy to use and the iTunes ecosystem is a simple and fantastic way to manage your phone. However, you can't really pick and choose where files go in your phone's directory like you could on a computer....or an Android. The downside to Android is that there's no single all-in-one way to really manage your phone, especially for iPhone converts who are well established with iTunes. There are a couple of excellent apps, but there is no single app that functions in the way that iTunes does.

So it mostly does come down to preference. The Note excels at multitasking, but Android is a bit glitchy. iPhone is more stable but has less functionality. iTunes >>>>>>Google Play, imo.

Google Play is the Android version of iTunes. The Samsung App store is about 5% useful and 95% junk. The only things I download from the Samsung App store are apps developed by Samsung specifically for their phones. For example, there are additional camera functions for galaxy phones that I don't believe are available in the Play Store. When it comes to apps, Google and iTunes offer pretty much the same selection, especially when it comes to the most common and popular apps. Since switching to Android, I've probably only come across a half dozen iPhone apps that aren't available through Play, but I have been able to find suitable replacements for them.

Android is set up basically the same way your pc or Mac is. You have a file directory and you can dictate which folders you want specific files to go in. You can create file folders, move them from the device storage to external storage, etc etc. This is one of the most appealing features of Android vs iPhone, imo.

I'm not sure what you mean. I can put as much or as little content on my home screen as I want with Android. I can definitely fit more content on my Note home screen than I could my iPhone.

Not sure what you mean with this, either. Are you talking device memory/storage capcity?

Posted via the Android Central App

samwifi

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Note 4 is awesome.. my only BIG complaint is the terrible bluetooth skipping when listening on a wireless bluetooth headset. I had to move back to Kit Kat to make it stop.. I'm sure 5.1.1 will fix this but, for me that audio problem is a real irritation. Other then that it's a winner.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Note 4 is awesome.. my only BIG complaint is the terrible bluetooth skipping when listening on a wireless bluetooth headset. I had to move back to Kit Kat to make it stop.. I'm sure 5.1.1 will fix this but, for me that audio problem is a real irritation. Other then that it's a winner.

It may well be your headphones or the headphone software that is the problem not the phone. I have the Note 4 on Lollipop and my two sets of headphones and my bluetooth phone headset all work flawlessly.

sharonharvey2

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site

Wow, thank you! Quite a variation of views....

Ok Rukbit and millawar 76.... What I meant by the 500mb is on the information sheet the lady gave me it said the data for the note was 500mb where for the iPhone 6 it was 1gb. 4g data.... Can't I get the same for the note 4?

Thankyou for the clarification of the Google play being the equivalent of the iTunes Store, I did get confused by that one too... I didn't sign up for the Samsung one as I wasn't sure I was keeping the phone but then I noticed the Google play and when I saw what it entailed I thought that looks the same as the Samsung App Store.....and you've said basically what the guy in the shop said 'what you can get on Iphone basically you can get on note if not better and free.

As for the files subject on the main screen...on the very first screen that you see when you turn the phone on, when I try to move things to that screen all I was getting was 'no more room' but there wasn't a lot already there...?

I am a writer...so I think, especially given the S pen which like I said, initially sold it for me, I think this is the better phone for me...?

Thanks guys for your help, and continuing help (I will need more when I get it as I was still stuck on things when I gave it up and although I've researched a lot since there are still things I am unsure of)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret