Poor GPS after Lolipop update

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
After the Lollipop update, my Sprint Note 4 GPS has been MISERABLE.

I use my phone when I run and cycle, to track my routes for training. I used to use JogTracker Pro. When the GPS issues started I thought maybe it was the software, so I switched to Runtastic Pro. It appears the problem is the phone. I never had so much trouble before! The GPS loses signal in the middle of town! And then it can't re-establish GPS for LONG amounts of time! Sometimes 1.5 miles, sometimes 15 miles! It is INSANE how poor the GPS has gotten.

Sunday I went on a 2 hour cycling ride, 1 mile in it lost GPS signal and NEVER regained the signal. Over 30 miles of open road riding and the GPS never re-connected.

I have tried all the various GPS settings in the settings menu (under Location - Mode). GPS only. Power saving. High accuracy. They all SUCK at this point. What happened? Is it only the Sprint Note 4? Is it all Note 4? Is it Lollipop on all phones?

I am SO disappointed. I had NO problem tracking training routes up until the Lollipop update! :(:':):)'( Looks like I'm going to have to invest in more technology (running watch, cycling computer) when previously I didn't have a need. :mad:

Last edited:

jreuschl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Poor GPS after 5.1.1 update

There isn't a 5.1.1 update yet. There was a bug fix update today. See if that fixes any issues and clear cache after.

5.1.1 is still in testing.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Poor GPS after 5.1.1 update

Yeah I"ve been talking so much about 5.1.1 because of my Moto 360. REGARDLESS. Since my N4 has received Lollipop, the GPS SUCKS. I don't think the Reactivation Lock update will improve the GPS issue.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
AT&T Note 4 here, and the GPS has been "not great" since KitKat on mine. Lollipop initially made it much worse, but a factory reset made things better than KitKat had been (which is to say, I'll sometimes have the GPS stop following me for a short period of time, say up to about a minute, then it'll hurry along and catch back up). It used to be that the GPS would stay in place for 30-90 seconds, then I'd lose GPS signal entirely for 30 seconds or so, then it would pop back into place.

A few things to try, in order of impact.

1. Clear the cache partition. This is usually done by turning the phone off, then pressing and holding POWER - HOME - VOLUME UP until the phone vibrates, then release the other two and hold VOLUME UP until a menu appears. One of the options is "clear cache partition". Run that once or twice, then select "reboot phone".

2. Turn off LTE services. You'll still get LTE data, but you won't be using Voice over LTE or some of the other stuff. Dunno why that seems to help, but it made mine marginally better. Menus vary a bit, but on mine it's Connections / More Networks / Mobile Networks / Mobile Data. Uncheck "Enhanced 4G LTE Services".

3. Turn off "Smart Network Switch" - that's under WiFi. That also seemed to make a marginal improvement to my GPS stability.

4th and last resort: Factory reset.

I ended up with a factory reset, THEN turning off LTE and Smart Network, and the GPS is working fairly well now. Not perfect, but sufficient for my use.

Splissplos

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
My s4 doesn't connect to gps after lollipop update. If I restart then it will connect straight away. Haven't found any other way to get to work.

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Had a similar problem with my T-Mobile note 4... They sent me a replacement... Something about when a customer does the update thier self vs a manufacturer doing it.... Works great now

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

roxetak

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
It is a android lollipop 5.1.1 problem. I´ve got the same problem after updating my Sony Xperia m2 to lollipop. Poor Terrible. ******* Google. What permission they broke? Or block, or make a bug in droid?

canonmaster

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Try enabling Airplane Mode, or whatever disables your phone connection, it works on my Sony Xperia M2. You may not be able to make/receive calls but the GPS works