How do I connect my Note 4 to Windows 8.1?

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Connecting my Note 4 to Windows 8.1

When I connect my N4 to my Windows 8.1 laptop, here's what happens:

The USB icon shows up in the system tray
"CD Drive E: (Verizon Mobile)" shows up as a CDFS drive in Explorer.
30 seconds later, CD Drive E: disappearts, along with the USB sys tray icon, and SAMSUNG-SM-N910V shows up as an unlettered, accessible through Explorer.

I'm assuming that the above is normal behavior. Please correct if I'm wrong.

What I'd like to know is, why does the system try USB icon disappear, making it impossible to formally disconnect the device (there is no Disconnect option when right-clicking on the device in Explorer)?

I am not a fanatic about always disconnecting USB devices before I unplug them, but when it comes to storage devices, which is what the phone is when connected to a PC, I'd at least like the option to do that.

Anyone know anything about that? Thanks.

More generally, the way the N4 and all Android devices I've had appear in Windows is pretty pathetic for a modern operating system, as far as Properties display, file management options, etc. There's an intentionally under-featured feel to it, as thought they're protecting me from myself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Connecting my Note 4 to Windows 8.1

When an Android device is connected via MTP (which is the standard way now), there is no need to Eject it in Windows before unplugging. Ejecting is necessary if you connect as USB Mass Storage, but this option is relatively outdated, and only available on older devices.

The initial CD Drive showing up is also typical of Verizon, because they put some unremovable junk on there, wanting you to install some kind of Verizon PC program to your computer (which is most likely useless)--just ignore it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1