Any way to fix/change these things on my new Note 4?

Strat-Mangler

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Love the phone but I'd love to change the following ;

1. White theme. An S3 theme clone for the Note 4, including the dial and Settings screen would be much better.
2. Add a mobile data toggle in the Notification Bar?
3. Would like to use haptic feedback when Battery Saver is enabled.
4. Would like to have my bottom buttons always lit even with Battery Saver enabled.
5. Ability to switch Airplane mode on/off without the warning pop-up.

Will rooting give me the ability to fix those issues? If so, which ones? Hopefully all?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
1) Not possible without 3rd party options for the Homescreen and Dialer. You can't change the Settings screen, though, unless you root and install a modified ROM. For the Homescreen, Nova is the most popular choice, although Google Now Launcher seems to be 'the whitest' in my opinion. I personally use Themer but that changes your phone radically.

2) Again, unless you root, no can do (this is something that needs to be baked into the ROM and Samsung/carriers removed it some time ago). You can go to settings, Mobile Data usage and turn it off there. I know, not the same.

3) Again, no can do with stock options :(

4) Same answer. You can't personalize how Battery Saving Mode works. You could do the things Battery Saver does manually (toggling off radios, etc.) but you'd need to either do it manually or use an automation app like Tasker to do it for you (chances are for some settings you'd need root).

5) Nopety. Just as you can't get rid of the annoying Volume Level warning (fortunately the latter only shows up once after every reboot).

Rooting would give you the ability to change all those. Problem is finding the right hack, ROM with baked features, or right code for you to modify for each need.

Strat-Mangler

May 13, 2014
Visit site
1) Not possible without 3rd party options for the Homescreen and Dialer. You can't change the Settings screen, though, unless you root and install a modified ROM. For the Homescreen, Nova is the most popular choice, although Google Now Launcher seems to be 'the whitest' in my opinion. I personally use Themer but that changes your phone radically.

2) Again, unless you root, no can do (this is something that needs to be baked into the ROM and Samsung/carriers removed it some time ago). You can go to settings, Mobile Data usage and turn it off there. I know, not the same.

3) Again, no can do with stock options :(

4) Same answer. You can't personalize how Battery Saving Mode works. You could do the things Battery Saver does manually (toggling off radios, etc.) but you'd need to either do it manually or use an automation app like Tasker to do it for you (chances are for some settings you'd need root).

5) Nopety. Just as you can't get rid of the annoying Volume Level warning (fortunately the latter only shows up once after every reboot).

Rooting would give you the ability to change all those. Problem is finding the right hack, ROM with baked features, or right code for you to modify for each need.
First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me... and in such detail! It's greatly appreciated. :)

Rooting is great but I'm concerned about the potential ill effects in regards to battery life. Had similar issues with my S3 and since a big part of upgrading to the Note 4 was for much better battery life, I wouldn't want to impact it negatively, if possible.

Are there any rock-stable mature ROMs you (or somebody else) could point me towards that would fix most of these issues? If it factors in in any way, I'm using a Rogers-locked device (Canada).

Lastly, I'm wondering if there would be a way to fix all these issues without resorting to coding in any way. A coder, I am not. Thanks again! :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately since I like to keep my devices warranty-ready, I haven't rooted/flashed ROMs in a while, so don't know if there's one that's really stable or has what you want specifically.

There could be apps that can do what you want (except maybe the settings screens), but I'm pretty certain all of them would require root.

Now, root itself shouldn't impact your battery. It's what you do with it that might (depending on the apps or modifications you install, it might)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech