"Settings" Crashes When Trying to Access "Sounds and Notifications"

Becky J

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
My apologies if this has already been asked and answered...I promise I searched both here and via Google but found no answers (but did find others with the same issue).

Yesterday I got a brand new Note 4. My service is through Verizon. I have it all updated and set up for the most part. My OS is 5.0.1.

The problem is that when I try to access "Sounds and Notifications" in "Settings", Settings crashes and I get the message "Unfortunately Settings has stopped". Interestingly (at least to me), my husband has same phone (his is about a year old though), same service, same OS, and he can get into Sounds and Notifications just fine.

The water torture drop sound is killing me. I have got to get it turned off, not to mention getting a better ring tone than the default. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Larry_F

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem on my previous phone (a Galaxy S4) where one particular setting was causing Settings to crash. It turned out that I had disabled (turned off) an app that was used in processing that setting. So if you have disabled any apps that might have anything to do with sounds or notifications, try re-enabling them and see if that helps.

Larry

Becky J

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks much for the reply, Larry, that's something I hadn't thought of and will keep it in mind in the future if something goes haywire. I don't root my phones so I do always at least like to disable some of the preloaded junk.

As it happens, several hours after I posted the above message today, I checked System Updates (again...I have checked for available updates multiple times in the last 24 hours since I've had the N4) and there was one available. I installed it and it turned out to be that small update changing it to Build No. N910VVRU2BOF1 (OS is still 5.0.1) that just started rolling out within the last few days. (The build I had before I think the last three or four characters were different but I can't remember now what they were.) Anyway, it turned out that this new little update actually fixed the problem for me. So yes folks, it was that rarest of all things--an update that actually solved an existing problem and seems not to have caused any new ones!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995