Zooper Widgets On XDA Forums

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Not really a Note 4 specific question, but I stumbled across XDA forums while browsing for widgets (was directed there via the Zooper Gallery app). Anyway, I take it these are safe to download even though they aren't available through the Play Store. Just wondering who has had experience (good or bad) using them. Is root required? Do they offer other content besides widgets?

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Zooper requires root unless it tries to display 'hidden' information. I use them all the time since that's what Themer uses. Totally safe, BUT can be memory/processing consuming, too, so keep that in mind. The most data-intensive and prettier-looking are usually the worse performers haha

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I use Zooper, but have only installed compatible widgets that are available in Play.....had no idea there were so many available from an outside source.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if an outside source like XDA has been "vetted" as safe and no different than what I'd find within Play.....which is some great, some bad, some in between, but nothing that should be harmful to my phone or compromise my security/privacy any more than Play apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Since it's an outside source, it can never be deemed as entirely safe, unfortunately. XDA is usually a good source for custom stuff, but you never know. Zooper does, however, limit the stuff you can do with your phone, and even more if you're not rooted. So you should be pretty safe. Doesn't hurt to read the comments in the threads on XDA though hehe

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd sooner trust some of the devlopers on XDA than the Play Store. You won't find gems like Towel Root of Safestrap on the Play Store. People who can write code like that are to be trusted (at least by this systems developer with more than 40 years of programming experience).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke