Is there any ideas when the Note 4 will go down in price?

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The N4 might be $99, but you will be paying the rest of the price monthly. That's how 2 yr contracts work. If I buy a phone outright, I can find a plan cheaper than someone on a contract. Either way you pay for it.

It's amazing how many people think that the phone is "only" $99, and they are just paying for the cell phone plan every month. These companies aren't in the business of giving away flagship phones.

I know that. I have other people in my family who pay part of our family share plan so I am OK with it. Lol

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The N4 might be $99, but you will be paying the rest of the price monthly. That's how 2 yr contracts work. If I buy a phone outright, I can find a plan cheaper than someone on a contract. Either way you pay for it.

It's amazing how many people think that the phone is "only" $99, and they are just paying for the cell phone plan every month. These companies aren't in the business of giving away flagship phones.

I can only comment on AT&T's plan. What I'm referring to is the cost w/ a 2 year contract which was previously $299 for N4 & $399 for N4 Edge. I'm not talking about their "Next" program where you do pay full price for the phone divided into 12, 18 or 24 monthly payments. The monthly service fee still has to be paid to use any smartphone so whether you opted to buy the N4 for $99 or didn't you'd still be paying a monthly charge. And the difference in cost for the monthly usage/data/text fee doesn't come close to the cost of buying the phone outright.

In my case I got my N4 at intro at Best Buy using their trade in plan they had at the time and paid $100. My monthly service fee remained the same (i.e. if I was still using my S3 I'd be paying the same monthly rate I am for my N4). So based on experience I completely disagree with your assertion that right now paying $99 for the phone means you'll pay for the entire cost of the phone through the monthly charge for 24 months.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Get the best plan that works for you.

Currently my plan doesn't give me a discount for off contract, so I might as well get subsidized phones. I have checked all the different plans pre paid post paid, contract, device payment plan and currently my plan is by far the cheapest price for my needs. Obviously everyone's situation is different and price isn't always the deciding factor.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

It depends on the plan and carrier. However, this is not how Verizon works. I paid $299 for my N4 with 2yr plan. My plan didn't change and I pay the same amount I did with my old HTC.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Get the best plan that works for you.

Currently my plan doesn't give me a discount for off contract, so I might as well get subsidized phones. I have checked all the different plans pre paid post paid, contract, device payment plan and currently my plan is by far the cheapest price for my needs. Obviously everyone's situation is different and price isn't always the deciding factor.

Fair enough, but I get irked when people think their phone is .99 cents or $100 they think the cost of the phone is .99 or $100. These companies have built-in money making mechanisms that allow them to recoup the cost of the phone. You're basically financing it.

I'd rather pay up front for an unlocked phone and get a cheaper plan. Then, I'm not locked in and can switch phones whenever I want with no obligation. Hey, the US is about this kind of stuff, and most people do it. I won't be a part of it. I pay $30 a month ( because I'm always around wifi). I know people paying near $100 because they can't control their urge to surf. When does the madness end?'

I guess if you have that much disposable income, go for it. I'm not telling people how to spend their money, just that you don't NEED to be on a 2 yr contract. It's a first world problem for sure.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but you still pay over $70 a month I'm sure.
What I pay has nothing to do with what you're stating as fact. My plan didn't change, and neither did the cost of my plan. In fact, I was on a "month by month" for years before I committed to this current 2 yr contract to get the price on the N4. I figured I was going to stay with my carrier anyways, so....

It really all depends on the plan and carrier. Honestly!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough, but I get irked when people think their phone is .99 cents or $100 they think the cost of the phone is .99 or $100. These companies have built-in money making mechanisms that allow them to recoup the cost of the phone. You're basically financing it.

I'd rather pay up front for an unlocked phone and get a cheaper plan. Then, I'm not locked in and can switch phones whenever I want with no obligation. Hey, the US is about this kind of stuff, and most people do it. I won't be a part of it. I pay $30 a month ( because I'm always around wifi). I know people paying near $100 because they can't control their urge to surf. When does the madness end?'

I guess if you have that much disposable income, go for it. I'm not telling people how to spend their money, just that you don't NEED to be on a 2 yr contract. It's a first world problem for sure.

It is all about priorities. Some people enjoy buying Starbucks and eating out every day. I think of a smartphone as a hobby. Something I really enjoy. And as such I have no problems spending $250 for 5 lines of service for my family.

Of course there are those who use smartphones infrequently throughout the day,and so their needs are different.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a family plan with 4 members. 2 of the members pay about half the bill. That has nothing to do with why I want to get a Note 4 with a price drop. To me the Note 4 is a great phone but I don't want to pay $299 for a phone that is going to be 1 generation older when the newer one will be about the same price. I want the older generation one so that k can get a great phone for a decent price.

pcfred

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I almost bought the Note 4 at Best Buy for $1, up until the point when the sales assoc. told me my monthly bill would go up $15. That means I would spend $380 over the next 2 years (and possibly beyond). She said it was because I was receiving a $15 discount for being off-contract and would lose that discount if I got the phone and re-upped. Go figure!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I almost bought the Note 4 at Best Buy for $1, up until the point when the sales assoc. told me my monthly bill would go up $15. That means I would spend $380 over the next 2 years (and possibly beyond). She said it was because I was receiving a $15 discount for being off-contract and would lose that discount if I got the phone and re-upped. Go figure!
When you got the plan, that should have been explained to you. On some legacy plans, there is no price difference for being off contract.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Yup. Some carriers offer a discount when you go off-contract and the subsidy on your phone has been "paid off". Some do not, and will continue charging you the same monthly fee whether you are on-contract or not.

So it all boils down to the simple difference between plans.

If you are on a carrier that does not offer a discount for bringing your own phone, the only reason you would want to bring your own phone is to have the freedom of leaving their clutches at any time (and an ETF may be cheaper than a new phone anyway, depending on your carrier and their policies). If you can get a phone for $1 and pay $80 a month for service, or get a phone for $500 and pay $80 a month for service, then the difference is $499 to take the phone the carrier wants to sell you.

If you are on a carrier that DOES offer a discount, then the math might change. If they charge you $15 a month more for 2 years, then you are paying $360 over two years. If the carrier has discounted your phone by more than $360, it might still make sense if you are pretty confident you will be with that carrier for the full two years. If the carrier has discounted your phone by less than $360, then it makes no sense whatsoever, because you are committing to two years and the risk of needing to pay an ETF if you leave early and in return offering to give them MORE money than they "gave" you.