GPS signal lost

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having GPS issues? It randomly drops in googled maps and when I'm using my phone it is searching for a signal in the notification area at random times. Could this affect my battery

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else having GPS issues? It randomly drops in googled maps and when I'm using my phone it is searching for a signal in the notification area at random times. Could this affect my battery
Yes it can affect the battery because it's constantly searching for a signal. However, try to remove the battery and place it back. Give it a quick reboot. See if that helps

Your friendly neighbor Verizon Galaxy Note 4 😎

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
For me this started with the lollipop update. It messed me up many times when trying to drive somewhere new. Losing data connection had also been a problem at times. I finally gave up and bought a dedicated Garmin GPS. Just as well because the interface is much better.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been doing this lately as well too. Maps will pick me up and start fine, then freeze and take a minute or two to me pick me back up.

Roo_thless

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
GPS issues on the Note 4 have been notorious since launch. The problem has been addressed numerous times so if any of you are having issues try this (as silly as it sounds).

* Squeeze the sides of the phone (hold onto the sides and squeeze it towards the center of the phone)*

If this doesn't work there are other things that could be affecting it but try this first!

Posted via the Android Central App

joediver

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Same with mine since the latest VZW update. I find it helps when I squeeze my head real tight!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

McLovin52

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
This is a huge problem for me! I am on the road a lot for my job and need the gps to find the next place I need to go! This right here would make me question getting another note phone, or maybe even samsung.

Lael Hall

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
My gps simply would not work when an app needed gps information. I seen another thread about taking the back off (12 screws) and check some ribbon cables. I did this and the ribbon cable in the upper right (phone facing down) needed to be pushed back down to make contact. I used the screw driver to gently reseat the ribbon cable, you could feel it click back into place. Now my gps locks on right away for Maps, Ingress and weather apps. Hope it helps for the Note 3 phones having the same symptoms.

Posted via the Android Central App

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
There's been talk that the micro sd cards are interfering with the gps. I have had horrible GPS reception. It's become a running joke now. :/

Rocking the Note 4

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned this in another post. I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else, but it's made a HUGE difference in my phone after trying a factory reset and clearing the cache a multitude of times:

Enter USSD (like you were dialing a phone number) *#0011#

Menu/Back (the three-dot menu in the upper right, then Back - not the Back softkey).
Menu/Key input, enter Q (uppercase)
Menu/Key input, enter 0000 (four zeros)

From SERVICE MODE menu
[2] UE SETTING & INFO
[1] SETTING
[2] SYSTEM
[3] NV REBUILD
[1] PROTOCOL, GPS, IMS NV

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
it's made a HUGE difference in my phone
Some have mentioned an SD card association. Are you using an SD card? Also, what software version are you running? I tried to make the changes and I either did something wrong (probable) or it's the software version. I'm on KK4.4.4 from Sprint. Not sure Sprint makes a difference.

ETA - is it possible to mess things up doing this?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Some have mentioned an SD card association. Are you using an SD card? Also, what software version are you running? I tried to make the changes and I either did something wrong (probable) or it's the software version. I'm on KK4.4.4 from Sprint. Not sure Sprint makes a difference.

ETA - is it possible to mess things up doing this?

SD card slot has never been occupied in mine.

I got the phone running KitKat and it had a few light problems with the GPS, but things went straight to hell when I upgraded to Lollipop. I did a factory reset, turned off all the LTE stuff (which seemed to at least improve things somewhat), and did a lot of playing around trying to make it an acceptable phone, and it slowly got worse and worse.

To my knowledge, no damage can be done. But, to be honest, I have no clue what this does. It appears to rebuild (recompile?) the radio drivers, assuming "NV" refers to "NonVolatile". I suppose things could go bad like on any other flash, since this is technically affecting the nonvolatile memory, similar to but much smaller than flashing a new ROM. I invoke the "good samaritan" clause on this - not responsible if you do this and your phone does anything bad, up to and including turning into a gremlin at midnight.

Oh, as an aside, I was also having a lot of trouble using mobile data when out and about. That also seems to have greatly improved after this process.

The GPS failed twice on my bicycle ride in to work this morning. Both were very brief and it recovered quickly. That has been the typical behavior after this flash. Before the flash, it was 5-6 times, and occasionally upward of a minute. Had I been using it for road navigation in a city at the time, that would have been inconvenient (not dangerous, since I'd just keep driving in the general direction until the GPS figured itself out again and nav recalculated, but bad enough that I might actually pull out my old Moto X 2014 to do any road navigation in unfamiliar places).

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I invoke the "good samaritan" clause on this - not responsible if you do this and your phone does anything bad, up to and including turning into a gremlin at midnight.
LOL Yeah, pretty much standard verbiage in the use of advice "contract". Duly noted. Soooo many good reasons that I'm staying on KK. ;) Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol