Samsung Note 4 : Brand New... Fast Battery Drain

reecious

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Recently bought a Samsung Note 4 (Voda) network. The Phone itself is great, runs smoothly and I'm 100% happy with the phone purchase I've made. On the day the store clerk set up everything on the phone, and allowed me to sign into various apps (samsung/google etc)

I have been looking through forum threads and reading battery life guides on this forum. Some users report 12 hours + battery life on their note 4.... well my battery lasts approx. 4 hours before it needs a recharge. When I'm browsing through the phone I can see the %'s drop every minute.

I installed battery doctor, which noted I had 17 hours left.... which was untrue as the hours began to drop minutes after it ran.....

I have factory reset the phone, I have removed my Micro SD card (I thought this may have caused issues). I have cleared the cache partition.

Someone recommended to download GSAM on one of the forums. I did this, but all it did was tell me how much battery life I have left.

My question is, could the phone be faulty? Should I return it? The Phone is 3 days old.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Recently bought a Samsung Note 4 (Voda) network. The Phone itself is great, runs smoothly and I'm 100% happy with the phone purchase I've made. On the day the store clerk set up everything on the phone, and allowed me to sign into various apps (samsung/google etc)

I have been looking through forum threads and reading battery life guides on this forum. Some users report 12 hours + battery life on their note 4.... well my battery lasts approx. 4 hours before it needs a recharge. When I'm browsing through the phone I can see the %'s drop every minute.

I installed battery doctor, which noted I had 17 hours left.... which was untrue as the hours began to drop minutes after it ran.....

I have factory reset the phone, I have removed my Micro SD card (I thought this may have caused issues). I have cleared the cache partition.

Someone recommended to download GSAM on one of the forums. I did this, but all it did was tell me how much battery life I have left.

My question is, could the phone be faulty? Should I return it? The Phone is 3 days old.

No man its the lollipop os 5.0.1 it has horrible battery drain...mine doesn't get through a day seriously....wipe cache partition doesn't work nor does hard reset...they rarely work...ive tried everything and nothing seems to improve the battery life... Standby drain is just as bad...

Posted via the Android Central App

KBx315x

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Having the same exact issue I feel your pain. I ditched by G3 for the Note 4 because of the wifi issue the day before they fixed the G3 issues and now this....makes me want my ipho... err nevermind.

Jim Bolster

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I am unemployed and use my Note 4 all day only needing to charge once.

If you turn off Location it will help.

KBx315x

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I never had to do that prior my first two days of having the phone it worked great, but I will give that a shot thanks.

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

I have power save turned on, location off,screen 40%. Don't have a live weather widget. Do not use battery widgets, they do more damage than good, so do task killers. After medium to heavy use on 5.01 I go to bed with 35-45% left on my phone. Very happy with the battery life on my phone.

Hypnotic

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Note 4 Monday. Updated to Lollipop and it works fine for me. One.thing I did do that I think helps was uncheck the Connections Optimizer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-23-15-00-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-23-15-00-40.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 96

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

I would swap out the phone as that's not normal, at all.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
No man its the lollipop os 5.0.1 it has horrible battery drain...mine doesn't get through a day seriously....wipe cache partition doesn't work nor does hard reset...they rarely work...ive tried everything and nothing seems to improve the battery life... Standby drain is just as bad...

Not true. So everyone of us on lollipop is only getting 4 hours out of our Note 4 batteries???? Note 4 owners would be lined up at Samsung headquarters if that were the case. If someone is getting 4 hours total time (not SOT) out of there Note 4 there is a major issue and it's not Lollipop...

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site

On GSAM, tap on the icon that looks sort of like a golf club. It will tell you EXACTLY what the battery eating app is if there is one. I've used GSAM for years specifically for the detailed info on what is consuming my battery.

It might be possible the battery that came with your new phone is the problem (yes, brand new batteries can be bad just like anything else). I'd go to where you got the phone and swap batteries if they will allow it and see if that is the problem before swapping out the phone.

Could it be the phone itself? Sure, but first rule out any app not playing nice and if that's not it, try a different battery.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Not true. So everyone of us on lollipop is only getting 4 hours out of our Note 4 batteries???? Note 4 owners would be lined up at Samsung headquarters if that were the case. If someone is getting 4 hours total time (not SOT) out of there Note 4 there is a major issue and it's not Lollipop...

I don't share your view there have been many complaints about the battery issues on the note 4 if you read around...the stand-by drain is awful since the update and it doesn't last as long...phone randomly gets hot... I've tried many things from hard reset to wipe cache partition, battery savers... Reflash software...none of it works seriously....

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

4 hours of battery life is terrible.

It could be a faulty battery.
It could be a faulty phone.
It could be a misbehaving app.
It could be a recent update to an that always worked great.
It could be poor 4G/3G signal (this is a huge factor in poor battery life).

Just saying that it could be a lot of factors that contribute to it.

Post some battery stat screenshots just like these below back to this thread to get some specific help of things that could be causing it.

Do this after your phone has drained to 20% remaining. Do not charge the phone during this analysis time. Let it drain from 100% to 20%.

Each one is important and tells a different story so post them all.

Attachments

• 1437840831990.jpg
    1437840831990.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 1437840842764.jpg
    1437840842764.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1437840852276.jpg
    1437840852276.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 1437840863889.jpg
    1437840863889.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 46

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't share your view there have been many complaints about the battery issues on the note 4 if you read around...the stand-by drain is awful since the update and it doesn't last as long...phone randomly gets hot... I've tried many things from hard reset to wipe cache partition, battery savers... Reflash software...none of it works seriously....

Complaints about the battery sure. However 4 hours total. Not so many complaints. There is something seriously wrong if that is all you're getting out of the Note 4. It's not Lollipop is my only point. My standby time has been better since the upgrade and my usage time right around the same. All in all the lollipop upgrade was just about a wash for me. I easily get through the day on a charge with various levels of usage.

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
So, my battery used to rock out like 18+ hours on a single charge. Now, it's dying at a rapid pace. What is doing it? So, I ran GSAM, and I see that "Kernel (Android OS)" is nearly running at 16% and the Android System is not far behind. Also, my data service seems to now suck, and I'm not hitting 4G LTE anymore. So, what do you think is the culprit?

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
So, my battery used to rock out like 18+ hours on a single charge. Now, it's dying at a rapid pace. What is doing it? So, I ran GSAM, and I see that "Kernel (Android OS)" is nearly running at 16% and the Android System is not far behind. Also, my data service seems to now suck, and I'm not hitting 4G LTE anymore. So, what do you think is the culprit?
Might help to post a screenshot of your GSAM. How long since unplugging are you getting these readings? How old is your battery? Could be a bad battery.

If you're in a bad service area and not getting 4G, that's probably part of the issue as a phone trying constantly to search for signal, uses up a LOT of battery.

My GSAM:
68bc69410eb4203a5a5d8c4aa7d55b8f.jpg

Felix Marrero

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
1. what phone case are you using. If you are using the samsung flip s-view smart case it drains your battery.
2. email push notification or sync schedule kills battery, I have my email sync set to every 4 hours.
3. air gesture, air view, air command... kills battery.
4. bluetooth and location kills battery.
5 s beam, nfc kills battery.
6 use system manager app to close unnecessary background apps.
7 use active app to kill apps running in background also clear memory.
8 facial recognition kill battery.

hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair